An Article That I Find To Be Extremely Relevant..

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    A little to hardcore for me. I want to get in shape, but I don't want it to consume my life. There are more important things in life than seeing my veins bc I have 8% body fat. But if that's your thing and makes you happy, then go for it.

ditto

My goal is to drop weight, and be healthier but I have no interest in doing the "body builder" stuff. I have changed how and what I eat and do exercise that I can fit in and sustain. Way back in my 20's I became exercise obsessed and that can be as bad an addiction as any other. The endorphins from exercise can be quite alluring, and as a result I have long term injuries that I suffer with daily. I can't reverse the damage but I can do what's sensible and right for me.

Plus in the end I did find his language offensive and none of the pictures did it for me.

I know there are a lot of body-builder types out there in MFP land so I guess this article is more for you.

Yes and no. A lot of his points can and should be absorbed by anyone who wants to get themselves in any shape other than round.

As for your injuries: everyone gets hurt at some point in the training world. The author of that article for example sheared off a bone spur and tore a tricep all at the same time after knocking himself retarded doing a btn push press with a heavy weight, then proceeding to fall into another piece of equipment. He kept training through it, and as of now is a record holding powerlifter.

Everyone has goals, and it's all about how hard you are willing to push yourself to get through it. There's a lot that people here can learn from the people who train hardcore. Just as an example: I see so many people on here ready to give up after a little soreness, and a couple of days of failing their diet. Really? You're sore, and binged for two days, and are willing to let that relegate you to a life of suck? **** that! Get your **** together, stand back up, and push harder. If you're not dead, there's still time for you to fix yourself.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference between committed and hard core. I agree that some people are not really committed to making the changes they need, but you do not have to go hard core to get your results. Moderation works wonders for most people while hard core can scare them off. I am committed to making a change, but have no desire to do it *above all else in my life*. If you need that kind of attitude to make it work for you, fine - more power to you.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I think there is a difference between committed and hard core. I agree that some people are not really committed to making the changes they need, but you do not have to go hard core to get your results. Moderation works wonders for most people while hard core can scare them off. I am committed to making a change, but have no desire to do it *above all else in my life*. If you need that kind of attitude to make it work for you, fine - more power to you.

I was more referring to the 'stop making excuses and push harder' aspect of it.

You are correct however. I am an "all or nothing" kind of person. In my view, if you aren't aiming to be the best at something, why bother? History doesn't remember half measures.

To use my favorite example: Ghengis Khan. Anyone remember the names of any of the 'average' people that his crew roflstomped? I didn't think so. Remember that guy in the 80s who just wanted to get in 'okay' shape, and keep muddling away at his 9-5 until he died? Me neither. Those guys who set powerlifting records almost a century ago that still haven't been broken? They inspire some of us to this very day, to aspire for greatness.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    As a side
    Genghis Khan, the fearsome Mongolian warrior of the 13th century, may have done more than rule the largest empire in the world; according to a recently published genetic study, he may have helped populate it too.
    An international group of geneticists studying Y-chromosome data have found that nearly 8 percent of the men living in the region of the former Mongol empire carry y-chromosomes that are nearly identical. That translates to 0.5 percent of the male population in the world, or roughly 16 million descendants living today.

I don't want to be remembered outside my friends and family and I am not looking to be the "best at something". I'm doing things for me, not for others approval so I'm fine with just being committed to my goals. I understand that other people do want to do something memorable but for me I will remember those who made contributions that are humanitarian, inventive, science-expanding or life-altering.

...signing off now.... good luck to your quest for excellence
  • karmaology
    Options
    He's a bit scary. He hit a few points. But, overall, he came off as rude and ignorant. Wasn't worth the read, IMO. :grumble:
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    After he said potatoes are making me fat, I quit reading.

That's not what was stated. Keep reading. And potatoes don't make you fat they just contribute to heart disease. Frequently eating over maintenance makes you gain weight.

There's a lot of truth to this but there's also a lot of ranting personal perspectives and unnecessary vulgarity.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Me too bump
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    "The Solution"

" First, they have to deprogram themselves from years of ****ty dietary habits and the concomitant emotional attachment to foods. This is a massive problem for most people, as most people associate certain foods with certain feelings."

"...avoids protein and eats nothing but fat and sugar when they're upset, and that generally comes in the form of baked goods, pasta covered in cheese, and potatoes. Frankly, that makes no sense to me, because half the time they'll tell you they're depressed because they feel fat. The answer, then, is pretty simple, but they seem to prefer the emotional gratification of eating that bs than they do the rational solution sitting in front of them."

You might think, if you find yourself doing that, that it's justified biochemically or hormonally, but hear this:

F***. THAT. ****."

Probably the best paragraph ever.
    *cuss words removed in reposting of quote per mfp rules*

Bingooooooo
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Anyone else more annoyed by the white text on a black background than actual article content?
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Read the whole thing and liked it. Thanks
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Anyone else more annoyed by the white text on a black background than actual article content?

That's done for a reason. It's been proven to reduce eye strain and headaches. Starting at a white background on a computer screen isn't much different than staring into a lightbulb, so far as your ocular nerves are concerned.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I liked it, kinda read through the shock value for the valuable content. Thought he made some pretty good points.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to be a bodybuilder, even less so after seeing all the pictures and listening to his idea of healthy eating. Even so, the article had a lot of good points in it. Don't let the stall freak you out. Stay focused. Do something you enjoy and are good at. Do what you need to do to keep yourself motivated. Good advice.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    The article made some good points, but I personally found him rude and his language unnecessary. His criticism of women is not entirely justified either; I know plenty of men who eat for comfort.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    The article made some good points, but I personally found him rude and his language unnecessary. His criticism of women is not entirely justified either; I know plenty of men who eat for comfort.

So do I, and they are fat too. However, you can't deny that far more women are known to do this than men.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

So do I, and they are fat too. However, you can't deny that far more women are known to do this than men.

Absolutely, I don't deny that at all, It was the way he said it though; very derogatory to women (in my opinion).
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    rape jokes, misogynistic, throwing the retard word around, the article is just a rude inappropriate rehash of stuff I already know
    I thought some of his message was good, but his delivery sucked.

What these two ladies said.
  • nyxrun
    nyxrun Posts: 60
    Options
    *bump* for when I'm at home and not subject to the "You'll get screwed if you visit this site" restrictions
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing gonna tell my inner child to stfu!