Insulin resistance/calories and weight loss?!

Options
13»

Replies

• WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My niece has struggled for several years with insulin resistance. Her greatest weapon in this battle has been exercise. I'm not talking about going to the gym here. My niece has been walking quite a bit and gradually increasing her distance. She is down nearly 100 pounds after being extremely overweight her entire life. She also has learned to eat more sensible portions and has followed her doctor's instructions. She was very motivated to change her lifestyle when she was told she would have to go on several daily medications. I am very proud of her and she is proud of her accomplishments!

Hope you are successful in your weight loss as well. One day at a time, we can accomplish just about anything. :D
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    2 best ways of fighting insulin resistance is fasting and weight lifting.
    You can do both easily.

Stop eating at 10pm.
    Dont eat till 2pm the next day.
    Do this daily.
    Workout in a fasted state.

When you eat this will help with the p-ratio and where the nutrients go.
    Enjoy your fat loss.

Problem being I refuse to skip meals. If i do this I gain more then I lose. My body goes into starvation mode quite quickly. Thanks anyway :)

You havent a clue what you are talking about.

Fix your metabolism.
    Pick up heavy things and youll lose weight.

Right. Cause not eating for more then 12 hours is such a great thing to do? ha, no thanks.

INTERMITTENT FASTING - Google it.

Sorry dear, this man is completely right.

...& you indeed have NO idea what you're talking about.
  • 21yearsin25weeks
    Options
    I have PCOS.. Had to take meds for it.. But then changed my lifestyle an the pounds just fell off me. :)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Regarding Fasting - to each his own. It works for some people, but it's not a requirement to lose weight or to improve your metabolism. A proper diet is critical for weight loss. Exercise is import for fitness and improving metabolism.
    They told me I should do 150 minutes of exercise a week, and then recently they told me to add weight training because there is something about muscles and insulin and burning efficiently (I don't remember the whole thread) but strength training - specifically weight lifting is supposed to be good for folks like us with insulin issues.

Here's an article about the benefits of strength training for diabetes management:

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/18/2/71.full
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have type 2 ,, Ive been on Insulin for a long time because of allergies to the oral meds. I have been on a low carb since August. I was hospitalized in July with an infection and my A1C was 8.9 (or there about) OMG I flipped. I knew I had to get the numbers down and lose weight and this was a wake up call.

In one hundred days Ive lost 70 pounds---low carb for the most part. A huge side to this is my blood sugars are rarely over 100 now, In the beginning I couldnt get em less than 180 no matter how hard I tried. I believe the low carb and very lite eating has done the trick and the 3 months I was working out with various weights of dumbbells and doing so home type calisthenics. I think the combination worked. I had to stop the dumbbells but the weight loss has continued and the numbers are all continuing to drop.

I have tens time the energy and feel great (beside all the chronic pain issues I have that is) My complexion is stunning and have had people remark on it....again.....it is what Im eating ....or rather what Im not :blushing:

I gotta believe the low carb has been the kicker for me. I dont eat after 6 at night as a rule. I do however occasionally have pizza...even a cinnamon roll now and then. But Im striving and learning every day.

I wish each one of you continued success
  • lliizzaayyy
    Options
    Just because someone gives me advice doesn't meen I have to take it. And besides, it wouldn't work for me.

I'm sure I know what I'm talking about when its comes to MY own body.

I didn't make this thread to be bullied and to make me look stupid, so please take your comments elsewhere.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Account deactivated.
    She doesnt know what shes doing.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    You can do both easily.

Stop eating at 10pm.
    Do this daily.

Enjoy your fat loss.

Problem being I refuse to skip meals. If i do this I gain more then I lose. My body goes into starvation mode quite quickly. Thanks anyway :)
    Oh boy. Just, wow.

Please don't throw around terms like starvation mode this easily. You are NOT going into starvation mode by fasting for 16 hours.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    You can do both easily.

Stop eating at 10pm.
    Do this daily.

Enjoy your fat loss.

You havent a clue what you are talking about.

Fix your metabolism.
    Pick up heavy things and youll lose weight.

Right. Cause not eating for more then 12 hours is such a great thing to do? ha, no thanks.

I would like to first recommend you do what your doctor tells you to do if you have one but there is a lot of real research that says fasting is good for the body and some scientist even go as far as to say it's healthy. You can check the links below if you want real scientific research on fasting. Out of every single real scientific research that I have ever read or come across, not a single one has ever said anything negative about controlled intermittent fasting. In fact, they all have something positive to say about it. I am referencing intermittent fasting in which you fast maybe twice a week and not someone who has no plan on how to fast and starts to do a 7 day fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/7.full
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/1/69.full
    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/50/1/96.full.pdf+html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSh6Ot8d7bU

BTW, starvation mode is not real and has been confirmed by a licensed dietitian on these forums. To frame this in a better picture for you. There are a lot of real diseases that destroy your metabolism when you eat more but no diseases that impact your metabolism when you eat less. I'm not talking about Anerexia, as that is a mental disorder which has nothing to do with destroying your metabolism. I am talking about real diseases such as Type 2 diabetes and Insulin resistance. Type 2 diabetes literally means your body can't process sugar anymore, as in a destroyed metabolism, and you are already on the way there by the way of insulin resistance. No such diseases that can destroy one's metabolism are associated with eating less.

I'm not advocating that intermittent fasting is the only way to go. I just want to enlighten you on some facts about starvation mode and what it really means to have a destroyed metabolism.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755899-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions?page=16
    The idea that your body's metabolism will slow down to such an extend that you will not lose weight on a large caloric deficit is complete myth. Some people can make it seem like a reasonable assumption citing metabolic processes, and hormone functions but the real world result is that eating less makes you lose weight. If you are overweight, you do not need to worry about "starvation mode"