Runners. Advice needed please :)

Options
Hello all,

I am somewhat new to the running thing but i fear i am becoming addicted! I did the race for life 5K in September after completing couch to 5K. I want to do the great north run (half marathon) and maybe the London marathon next year. I can run 3.5 miles now but that's as far as i have got pushing myself. How fast can i push myself to run greater distances without knackering or injuring myself. I was going to try and maybe add 1/2 a mile per week onto my usual distance. Or should i just take the plunge and go for 10 miles straight off and see if i survive? I cannot drink while i am running as the sloshing about inside makes me feel sick. This bothers me but i suppose i will have to combat that 1 slowly to prevent dehydration. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated, Also all friend requests welcome. Thanks in advance xxx

Replies

• kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Sara,
    I have just completed my first half marathon, to prevent injury you should build up slowly, include some interval training and make sure you get used to drinking and eating right. I, like you struggled to drink while running but once you get past running for about an hour you need to take on fluid, try drinking small amounts as you you run rather than waiting until you are thirsty. I also had to get used to taking energy gels, this is trial and error as some or nice and some not, its what works for you.
    I have used a running coach to get me from running 3-4 miles at a time to half marathon in 8 weeks, it was hard work and I was training 5-6 times per week (running, Spin classes and interval) but you can do it slower, might be worth finding a local running club as they will have lots of advice and people to run with.

I hope that helps.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no that's a horrible idea. Just finished my first 1/2 as well this weekend and building up to double digit distances takes time, planning and training. Jumping to 10 miles right away will only give you a high risk of injury. You add mileage slowly each week, most run 3-4 days per week. Also you will need to adjust to adding in hydration as you either get over 60 mins of running or if running in heat. I second the idea of running clubs or you can train yourself like I did. I went from C25K, on to Bridge to 10K then right into my 1/2 program that was 12-16 weeks long. I don't know when either race is for you but make the 1/2 your first goal with plenty of time for training and the full a long term goal. Completing a full is a whole different world and I can assure many will recommend you at least get a 1/2 under your belt first. Good luck!
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I believe Hal Higdon has a plan to go from basically a 5 k to a marathon over 6 months or so. Jeff Galloway also has a similar plan. Both will prepare you to finish a marathon. I'm not sure when the london marathon is but if there is there is time consider one of these plans.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I believe Hal Higdon has a plan to go from basically a 5 k to a marathon over 6 months or so. Jeff Galloway also has a similar plan. Both will prepare you to finish a marathon. I'm not sure when the london marathon is but if there is there is time consider one of these plans.

+1 Both of these plans are good to work up your distance without injury and help you plan for the speed work you'll need to be comfortable for the whole time.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The drinks thing is going to take time even food a few hours before running can make me feel sick. I thought building it up gradually would be a better idea. its tuff because i like to run at night and need to stay safe with well lit routes. I will get there eventually. i have just downloaded the C210K so i think i will go for that :) Thank you for your advice xxxxx
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Increase your mileage by no more than 10% a week...Do not run more than 2 days in a row, your body needs the rest and repair since you are new to all of this.

Mix up your runs, do intervals, speed, long and easy, short and easy, hills, etc. Coss train too, it helps build endurance and speed.

Also, start out running not just for distance, but also time. For longer races you need to be on your feet for hours, you need to get used to that. Instead of worrying about your miles, add in minutes. Speed will come.

There are great training schedules availible online. Tailor them to suit your needs. A year is plenty of time to prepare for a full marathon.

Get yourself a good pair of well fitted running shoes. Replace said shoes as needed ( I need to replace mine every 300 miles or so, I have arch issues).

Try sipping at water as you go along, not drinking it. The day or 2 before a big race, start hydrating. I don't drink much during my long races, but do sip at water and gatorade as I go along. For a 5k, I just run it, no water unless it is really hot out, then I will sip at water.

Listen to your body, don't push through pain or fatigue. Take rest days.

Some days you will feel like you can run forever and some days each mile is torture, that is normal so don't get discouraged if you are having an off day or 2.

If running on a treadmill, set incline to 1% to simulate road running.

Have fun!
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try doing the 5k to 10k program? It is just like couch to 5k but gets you running a 10k in 6 weeks I think.
  • sbrodeur100
    sbrodeur100 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I second the Hal Higdon plan. When I first started running, I went from a 5k and then was like...oh next stop Marathon. If you run at a slow pace, eat well, you can do it. Training from 5k to Marathon was 7 months. Just listen to your knees, body etc.
  • brianfmatthews
    brianfmatthews Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Runners World has a plan for beginners and advises you should have at least a year of experience and regularly log an average of 15 - 25 miles per week before attempting their 10 week 1/2 marathon plan for beginners, for what that is worth. How long have you been running, and what is your weekly mileage? Those two are the main factors in determining whether this is possible.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've used the Higdon Plan for the last two half marathons I have done. Best of luck!
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I hear Interval training works good. I am about to try it starting this week for pace. For distance expansion increase the distance slowly every week on what ever day is your longest run until you reach the desired distance
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Increase your mileage by no more than 10% a week...Do not run more than 2 days in a row, your body needs the rest and repair since you are new to all of this.

I was going to post the same. Everything I've read says no more than 10% per week.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I think that you should do the Bridge to 10K B210K and then if that goes well try Hal Higdon's Novice 1/2 Marathon. Both are free online.

I have had a number of challenges as I add the miles. What works for a 5K has not worked for a 10K etc.
    - Chaffing, the more you run the greater the risk in many areas. Clothing and lubricants help.
    - Runner's toe comes from heat, ill fitting shoes and some other things.
    - Knee and Achilles pain - part from pounding, and part from hydration issues.

This is why it's good to add miles slowly. All can be dealt with, but avoiding them is more fun.

Good luck, you'll make it!

Added: I also had two surgeries, lots of the above advice is very good. I completed two 10Ks in about an hour. And I started the 1/2 training and ran into some new challenges. I was supposed to do my first half this weekend and my Achilles is bothering me. I guess it's better to miss one race, then all the others after it.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I can run easily 9 miles buuuut I'm still not ready for a half. I am sure I could run 13.1 miles no prob, but my body isn't ready, my psyche isnt ready. I think you should train more, I always vote for over training
  • SaraBrown12
    Options
    i also run 5 days a week. sometimes 6 :| is this bad?
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I am somewhat new to the running thing but i fear i am becoming addicted! I did the race for life 5K in September after completing couch to 5K. I want to do the great north run (half marathon) and maybe the London marathon next year. I can run 3.5 miles now but that's as far as i have got pushing myself. How fast can i push myself to run greater distances without knackering or injuring myself. I was going to try and maybe add 1/2 a mile per week onto my usual distance. Or should i just take the plunge and go for 10 miles straight off and see if i survive? I cannot drink while i am running as the sloshing about inside makes me feel sick. This bothers me but i suppose i will have to combat that 1 slowly to prevent dehydration. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated, Also all friend requests welcome. Thanks in advance xxx

Congrats on getting the running bug!

A half marathon is EASILY doable.. Build your miles gradually and ont over train! Just like you, I started c25k and was running 13.1 a couple of months later, but I learned that running 5 times a week would cause me injury.. and I've been out with an injured knee purely down to over training and not doing any cross training or stretching. I learned the hard way, so don't over train!,,

There are tons of good half marathon program's on line.. I didn't follow any and just went for it. Here's one to get you started..

http://www.halfmarathon.com/

Good luck!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

Honestly?? It's VERY bad. Seriously.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have used the Hal Higdon plan and it has worked very well for me. He has plans for every distance designed to minimize risk of injury and maximize success. If you've done the 5k, try a 10k plan. Then start training for your half after you have completed the 10k.

Several of my friends have tried to push themselves to do more too quickly. Every one of them has ended up injured and unable to complete the race for which they were training. Don't fall into the trap. Your body needs time to adjust. It's not just your muscles, it's your joints and bones that need to adjust to the distances. Build mileage and time gradually, take rest days and follow proper nutritional intake and you will have a great time injury free.

I started running last Christmas. Started with a 5k, then 10k, a half marathon in June. My next half is this Saturday and my first full is December 2nd. So far I have only had 1 injury and it was primarily due to overtraining. If running has taught me nothing else it is the importance of patience and consistency.

Good luck!
  • SaraBrown12
    Options
    I don't understand how i can do this then. I started running as a flexible effective form of exercise. I stepped it up because i have hit the dreaded plateux wall. Last time i was at this point i gave up. I am not saying i would run a marathon every day. but 3-4 miles a day can't be too bad can it? Also Shin splints. My running training partner has been having terrible trouble and agonising pain. I feel bad because i don't luckily have this problem and am to an extent leaving him behind as hes still repeating c25k weeks, Any suggestions on what can help him with these?

I just got the bridge to 10k app to try :) Thank you all for the helpful advice so far xxxx
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    That depends on how well you can recover between workouts. That in turn depends on a combination of genetics, age, overall fitness level, and how hard each workout is. So, it is bad for some and good for others and what may be bad now may be good later.

FWIW - I generally run 7 days a week and twice a day on 5 of those days. For the past two months, getting ready for a marathon, I have averaged around 12 miles a day.

So, it can be done.