Runners. Advice needed please :)

Options
2»

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    i also run 5 days a week. sometimes 6 :| is this bad?

Honestly?? It's VERY bad. Seriously.

BS. Depends on your level of fitness. I run 6 to 7 days a week, 6 to 10 runs total. There is no "One size fits all" when it comes to running.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options

+1 to Carson and Scott. No it is not bad to run 5 or 6 days a week as long as your fitness supports it and you are recovering appropriatly in between. Increase your miles at reasonable rate over time, take some cutback weeks every now and then and you will be fine. If you feel you are not recovering or you are getting odd aches and pains then back off and let your body catch up to you.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options

BS. Depends on your level of fitness. I run 6 to 7 days a week, 6 to 10 runs total. There is no "One size fits all" when it comes to running.

QFT. Your body will tell you if it's "bad."
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Increase your mileage by no more than 10% a week...Do not run more than 2 days in a row, your body needs the rest and repair since you are new to all of this.

Mix up your runs, do intervals, speed, long and easy, short and easy, hills, etc. Coss train too, it helps build endurance and speed.

Also, start out running not just for distance, but also time. For longer races you need to be on your feet for hours, you need to get used to that. Instead of worrying about your miles, add in minutes. Speed will come.

There are great training schedules availible online. Tailor them to suit your needs. A year is plenty of time to prepare for a full marathon.

Get yourself a good pair of well fitted running shoes. Replace said shoes as needed ( I need to replace mine every 300 miles or so, I have arch issues).

Try sipping at water as you go along, not drinking it. The day or 2 before a big race, start hydrating. I don't drink much during my long races, but do sip at water and gatorade as I go along. For a 5k, I just run it, no water unless it is really hot out, then I will sip at water.

Listen to your body, don't push through pain or fatigue. Take rest days.

Some days you will feel like you can run forever and some days each mile is torture, that is normal so don't get discouraged if you are having an off day or 2.

If running on a treadmill, set incline to 1% to simulate road running.

Have fun!

This is the best advice I've seen. Listen to Momof3 :D
  • JenavaTS
    JenavaTS Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh, Shin splints are the worst! Stretch them. also use a foam roller on the calves and shins. Or use your elbow. I pronate and have weak feet and I tried to train for a half about a year ago. Did about 4 miles 3x per week, plus a long run on the weekend where I added about a mile each week. Ended up with super bad plantar factitious. and I STILL HAVE IT, even though I stopped regular running about a year ago and switched to biking. So, I'd say, be CAREFUL. It's hard to recover once you're injured. If you run on pavement and have any type of foot/ankle/hip pain then I would give yourself a little recovery time. Find a cross-training alternative like biking or swimming, or go to a rubber track and run intervals.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 half marathons and what works for me is intervals. When I first started running, I'd run for 2 minutes and walk for 1. Now I run for 14 minutes and walk for 1 during my training sessions. On race day, I've found that I tend to skip some of the walking intervals, but I know they're there and I "allow" myself to take the periodic breaks if I feel like I really need them. Distance running (for me) is mostly mental. I've found that if I ask my body to do it, it will. It's all about the courage to ask it of myself for me.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Please explain?
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Some excellent but conflicting advice, I think i will just listen to my body. I feel like i can do more, but i wont push too hard. I am sure if my fitness was not to the point i could run every day then my body would have protested about it by now. Warning to all starting the c25k or other running prog's. RUNNING IS ADDICTIVE!!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

Please explain?

was running every day , 6-7 days a week, 2x5k, 3x10k 1x10 mile+ long run ( clerarly not a fitness issue)

BOOM....injury to knee and 10 weeks of pain.

Physiotherapist at pro soccer team, hospital physio , 2 qualified osteopaths and an orthopaedic surgeon ALL said unequivocally 6 days a week was too much running.

No offence, but I value the advice of these people more than I do to of the 'internet people'.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Please explain?

was running every day , 6-7 days a week, 2x5k, 3x10k 1x10 mile+ long run ( clerarly not a fitness issue)

Physiotherapist at pro soccer team, hospital physio , 2 qualified osteopaths and an orthopaedic surgeon ALL said unequivocally 6 days a week was too much running.

No offence, but I value the advice of these people more than I do to of the 'internet people'.

For you. How many elites or even sub elites run only 5 days a week? None.

And your 34 miles a week is hardly high volume.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Please explain?

For you. How many elites or even sub elites run only 5 days a week? None.

And your 34 miles a week is hardly high volume.
    ^ This.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just curious after reading your profile and all the running you have listed, what knee injury did you sustain?
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Just curious after reading your profile and all the running you have listed, what knee injury did you sustain?

I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that is was something related to a sport other than running.
  • timboom1
    Options

Please explain?

and...you can also assume that the advice from "these people" is for one person (you) who is doing too much too soon for their real fitness level, and probably has other joint issues on top of that, and it does not mean it applies to the general running population that may not have the same issues.
  • timboom1
    Options

I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that is was something related to a sport other than running.

mmmmm....doughnuts