Where does this water drinking myth/fact come from ?

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    BUMP
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    The human body is about 70% water, and your body lose it daily (through sweat, evaporation, etc). To avoid the negative health effects of dehydration, you need it in order to stay hydrated. Where this water comes from does not have to be straight up water, as in those 8 glasses you're stuck on. It can be in food, and in solutions like soda, tea, coffee. But, it is believed to be better for you to drink plain water because you're not incorporating extra chemicals into your body that it doesn't need in order to maintain its hydration balance. That being said if drinking plain water isn't your thing, it isn't your thing. But you do need a liquid that has considerable water content to it in order for you body to be able to use it for hydration. In short, do what's best for you. If you don't like water, no one is holding a gun to your head and making you drink it. The MFP calorie totals and macros are guidelines, they don't have to be followed stringently if it doesn't suit you. However, if you like water drink it. If you're goal is weightloss, control your diet and try to avoid drinking your calories through soda, etc.
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    For example: http://www.watercure.com/

And you body recognizes if it's plain water or unhealthy energy drinks - it's a different water structure. Water also has the ability to "remember": http://drmukhtarahmad.wordpress.com/2008/09/20/can-water-remember/

In ayurveda medcine there's a lot about the healing and healthy effect of water.

Of course this is a belive it or not thing.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Water keeps you hydrated, plain and simple. Why you would say there is no science behind why you need to drink water is beyond me. If not anything else, drinking a sufficient amount of water reduces water retention and that will show a difference in the scale. there are many other reasons to drink water but I'll wait for someone like Sidesteal or Acg to jump in the convo and explain it like a pro ;)
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Drinking plenty of water becomes addictive, you will start to crave it and choose it over other drinks.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I think the fact that thirst can sometimes be confused with hunger explains it. And that after drinking a glass of water, you're less likely to overeat. But I don't believe the water itself has fat-burning qualities. Its just the effect it has can LEAD to fat loss.
    How can one confuse thirst and hunger.
    They are the two most primal urges...I mean, you're thirsty, you drink, aaaahhhh...
    Not thirsty now....ooo, still hungry though.

It's not uncommon to mistake thirst for hunger. Our bodies do, after all, get moisture from food as well as liquids. If you are not drinking enough, your body may trigger hunger in it's quest for hydration.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    You can confuse thirst and hunger because the stomach sensations can be similar. Often you think you feel hungry but it's actually thirst. Try it by drinking a glass of water and see -if the sensation doesn't go away eat. When I drink adequate water I have significantly better days food wise. In other words when I struggle to get the water in I eat more food and it shows in my diary. I for one love lots of water each day.
    The sensations are nothing like each other for me. I can't understand how anyone who was confusing hunger for thirst as an ancestor would survive to breed. They're really thirsty but decide to go hunting instead of heading to the spring?
    I guess if one can't tell the difference, one should drink a glass of water first.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    So why does this website promote the 8 glasses thing then if nobody actually thinks its got any science behind it...

Because it's a good general recommendation based on the average amount of moisture an average adult needs to stay hydrated. Like ALL general recommendations it's not going to be exact for everyone. A person that is small or eats a lot of foods high in moisture may need less. A large person or one that eats less foods high in moisture may need more.
  • 4thoseiluv
    4thoseiluv Posts: 96 Member
    In my opinion it's good advice mainly because it may stop people from drinking other stuff like soda, diet soda, kook-aid, etc.

Ditto
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    I read it all the time drink plenty of water, 8 glasses a day, drink until your wee is clear and your going to the toilet every 30 mins etc etc.

Whilst I have no dispute that keeping yourself hydrated is a good thing, I cant find any science behind this 8 glasses a day number or that drinking large quantities of water will help fat loss etc.

I can find as many articles stating the drinking water thing is a myth as i can that it works to help use fat loss.

Another thing that annoys me is when people say it must be plain water as if my body is going to tell the difference between water straight from the tap and water that I've added a dose of cordial into. What about if I drink the water then 5 minutes later eat an orange - OH NO the water in my stomach is now mixed with orange juice its no longer plain water !!!

I can't say that it's a myth, but neither can I come up with a scientific validation for that claim. I find that MFP advice is almost all anecdotal and rarely do claims come with source links from sources that I consider authoritative. My preferred sources: Mayoclinic.org, clevelandclinic.org, webmd.com, those that come from government agencies ending in .gov or universities with sites ending in .edu. That doesn't make them infallible, but they do almost always cite the scientific study that backs up their claims. If you want, you can then even go read the study for yourself if so inclined.

Clin Dermatol. 2010 Jul-Aug;28(4):380-3.
    Nutrition and water: drinking eight glasses of water a day ensures proper skin hydration-myth or reality?
    Wolf R, Wolf D, Rudikoff D, Parish LC.
    Source
    Dermatology Unit, Kaplan Medical Center (affiliated to the Hebrew University - Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem), 76100 Rechovot, Israel. wolf_r@netvision.net.il
    Abstract
    How-to books, beauty journals, the Internet, and the media usually recommend drinking six to eight glasses of water each day for keeping the skin hydrated, helping it look healthier, and making it less prone to wrinkles. We have found no scientific proof for this recommendation; nor is there proof, we must admit, that drinking less water does absolutely no harm. The only certainty about this issue is that, at the end of the day, we still await scientific evidence to validate what we know instinctively to be true--namely, that it is all a myth.
    Copyright 2010 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
    PMID: 20620753 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20620753

This is just one source of opinion, from National Institute of Health and not represented to be the definitive position. I drink as much water as I can, but I don't track it.
  • roycruse73
    roycruse73 Posts: 53 Member
    Peeing every 30 minutes is not normal LOL (unless your an out of control diabetic)

Use this to calculate how much water YOU personally should drink: http://www.csgnetwork.com/humanh2owater.html

not a great website for a weight loss forum - it wont let me key in my weight max weight on the site is 112kg !!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    1) If flushes impurities from your body
    2) Revs your metabolism
    3) Keeps your skin hydrated and flexible

If you only drink when you are thirsty...you are already dehydrated; so that isn't a good time to "start to drink". Approximately 2/3 of your body is made up of water. You sweat and pee, therefore ridding your body of it's water...you will need to replace what is lost. So if you are working out hard or it's a really hot day...you will need to drink more....

FACT: most people do not drink near enough water...yes it is possible to drown by drinking TOO much water...but very few people have this issue because they get enough other foods which have enough sugars and salts in them (electrolytes) that this isn't real common.

Here's a few sites to help you with water:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_human_body_use_water

http://www.everydayhealth.com/water-health/water-body-health.aspx

http://www.walkinthelight.ca/what_water_does_in_the_body.htm

http://www.essortment.com/water-body-60632.html
    This entire post is false. No scientific evidence that drinking more water than you need does any of that. And, science has proven many times over the years that Americans (specifically, there are a few billion people on the planet that don't have access to clean drinking water at all) are typically over hydrated, drinking far above the actual scientific and medical recommendations.

No offense, but you sound like the PR department of a bottled water company, as that's essentially where all your information came from.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Water keeps you hydrated, plain and simple. Why you would say there is no science behind why you need to drink water is beyond me. If not anything else, drinking a sufficient amount of water reduces water retention and that will show a difference in the scale. there are many other reasons to drink water but I'll wait for someone like Sidesteal or Acg to jump in the convo and explain it like a pro ;)
    Because there is NO scientific evidence about how much WATER you need. Plenty of scientific evidence about hydration and how much fluid humans require, but specifically water? None. Water, coffee, tea, soda, juice, milk, food, all contribute to hydration and count toward the roughly 2 liters or so an average human needs to consume to replenish losses.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    http://www.bmj.com/content/335/7633/1288

"People should drink at least eight glasses of water a day
    The advice to drink at least eight glasses of water a day can be found throughout the popular press. One origin may be a 1945 recommendation that stated: A suitable allowance of water for adults is 2.5 litres daily in most instances. An ordinary standard for diverse persons is 1 millilitre for each calorie of food. Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods. If the last, crucial sentence is ignored, the statement could be interpreted as instruction to drink eight glasses of water a day.

Another endorsement may have come from a prominent nutritionist, Frederick Stare, who once recommended, without references, the consumption “around 6 to 8 glasses per 24 hours,” which could be “in the form of coffee, tea, milk, soft drinks, beer, etc.” The complete lack of evidence supporting the recommendation to drink six to eight glasses of water a day is exhaustively catalogued in an invited review by Heinz Valtin in the American Journal of Physiology. Furthermore, existing studies suggest that adequate fluid intake is usually met through typical daily consumption of juice, milk, and even caffeinated drinks. In contrast, drinking excess amounts of water can be dangerous, resulting in water intoxication, hyponatraemia, and even death."

Edited to take out footnotes references as it makes it easier to read.
  • jerman01
    jerman01 Posts: 34 Member
    I drink about a gallon a day. I have noticed that when I drink lots of water, I tend to lost more. I started at 226 and today I am down to 163. It may all be in my head, but I drink plenty. I think it helps.
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Just think of all the calories you burn taking the walk to the toilet!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    You are 70% water. If you are dehydrated, your physical performance is limited.
  • sammy_g1
    sammy_g1 Posts: 12 Member
    I drink quite a lot of water but I couldn't tell you how much - I don't log it. I just drink as I need to. If I don't drink enough water I start to feel nauseous and headachy. I don't drink juice or soft drinks (soda) at all usually, just water and maybe tea/coffee.

But as others have said above, if people drink a lot of juice/soda then it may be useful to have a number to aim for in terms of water to get into the habit. Once it's a habit your body will tell you when it needs water (in my experience), and I don't think there's a set amount for everyone.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Your body needs water to work properly. That's it. Beyond the weight loss thing, your organs need water and you should provide. If you don't have enough water in your body, the brain will be one of the first caught up. This is not about lossing or controlling appetite, it is about making your body and mind a healthy `machine`.
    I myself, working at a job requiring 100% brain work, I can find correlations with insufficient water intake and loss of performance.

Like others say, the problems is with what your body needs. 8 glasses of water is like saying every woman should eat 1800 calories a day. The water quantity depends on height, mass, what have you eaten that day, how much to perspired, your health state, what your organs need that day, etc.
    There is no right amount for all the people. It's just an recommendation of: try to drink some water. Because many people ignore drinking water and don't try to find the quantity that makes their body be in the best state, internally (you can look lean, muscular, but having bad internal organs).

I find the `drink until your pee is clear` a bull****. That means that your kidney worked for filtering, but there was nothing to filter. Just water passing by. It's not ok to make your organs work for nothing,
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    If you’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it a thousand times, DRINK MORE WATER! Every cell in your body needs water to properly function, and as such, chugging that H2O is absolutely, positively vital to maintaining your overall health! Moreover, water acts as a natural appetite suppressant and helps to metabolize stored fat. However, before you can truly appreciate all the amazing health benefits of drinking water each and every day, you must first fully understand the role that it plays in your life.

Did you know that water is the main component of your entire body? Yep, it’s true! It can be found in your brain, your bones, your muscles and your blood! It moisturizes your lungs, aids in proper metabolic function, transports nutrients and oxygen into cells, protects your vital organs, regulates your body temperature, protects your joints and cleanses your body of any icky stuff it doesn’t need. Your brain alone is 90% water, so if you’re not getting enough, you can get a headache, a migraine or feel fatigued.

In fact, the onset of a migraine is just one of the side effects of not drinking enough water. Other symptoms of dehydration include:

Constipation

Muscle Cramps

Irregular Blood Pressure

Dry Skin

Kidney problems

Tiredness

AND even the risk of death, with severe dehydration

PLUS, there are even MORE health benefits to be had when it comes to drinking water (the first of which may even be your top priority)!

Weight Loss: Drinking more H2O to flush out all the by-products of fat breakdown and works to increase your metabolic function. Drinking water also helps you to feel full, reducing your hunger, acting as a natural appetite suppressant. Reaching for a cold glass of water, in lieu of a sugary soda or juice drink, can help you save on calorie consumption too! Think about it…you wouldn’t eat 20 packets of sugar, would you? So, why would you grab a soda (which is basically the same thing), when you can instead drink a nice, tall, cold glass of water?

Digestion: Drinking plenty of H2O has been proven to aid in digestion because it helps to increase your metabolism. The more water your drink, the more regular your body becomes, helping to offset the discomfort of constipation and bloating. Plus, drinking plenty of water is the absolute best treatment for fluid retention. When your body thinks it’s dehydrated, it begins to hold on tight to any stored water, resulting in the bloated belly and swollen arms, legs and ankles we so despise. While it may seem counterproductive, the best way to fight this type of water retention is actually to drink MORE WATER! Rehydration is a sure fire way to convince our bodies to release its grip on stored water.

Skin Care: Proper hydration can help your skin look younger and more radiant! Water helps to replenish skin tissue and increase overall elasticity.

Increases Energy & Productivity: If your body becomes dehydrated, your heart has to work twice as hard to pump out oxygenated blood to your other organs. Needless to say, if your heart and your organs are exhausted, so are you! To that end, drinking a healthy amount of water will go a long way in helping to maintain proper organ function. Plus it also works to flush out any unwanted toxins and waste products from your body. Moreover, given the fact that your brain is largely made up of water, proper hydration will help you to remain alert and allow you to think clearly and stay focused.

Reduce Illness: Not only will drinking water help you ward off everything from the common cold and the flu to kidney stones and heart attack, but it can also play a role in reducing your risk for bladder and colon cancer. Studies have shown that consuming a healthy amount of water can dilute the concentration of cancer-causing agents in the urine and shorten the length of time in which those icky agents are in contact with the lining of the bladder.

Fuels Exercise & Reduces Injury: A key function of water in the body is to regulate body temperature. The more water you drink, the more energy you’ll have to fuel your muscles and jumpstart your exercise routines. Also, proper hydration helps to keep your muscles and joints lubricated, which helps to prevent sprains and other injuries. You’ll be less likely to have muscle cramps too!

SO, have you been guzzling enough H2O lately? As hard as it may be to believe, water is quite possibly the most important ingredient in the recipe for weight loss. Consider it your very own, very accessible and very refreshing “magic potion” for permanent weight loss!

Content written by:

Jenny Hice

Write This Way, LLC

If for no other reason, do it for your heart !