Slander, Libel & Privacy 101

Options

Replies

• MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    So does this mean if i say something incriminating against my ex husband could I be held accountable for it? If so I guess I need to watch my P's and Q's.
    No. That's covered by the First Amendment, so long as it's true.

Gotcha let the ex husband bashing begin lol!!!!
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Can this thread be considered harrassment and cause for mental anquish?
    If you ask the mods, ALL of my threads cause them mental anguish.

I LOVE IT!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Could you summarize? TL:DR
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Are you short? Just wondering....
    6'3
    pfft
    I wouldn't lie to you, banana-person.
    Pfft again. You're a lawyer. it just means you're better at lying than the average Joe.
    No, it means that I'm better at propagating a manifestation of the truth, slated in favor of my particular argument, at any given moment.

So...lying. Or politicking.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options

No, it means that I'm better at propagating a manifestation of the truth, slated in favor of my particular argument, at any given moment.

Oh yeah! Bow chicka wow wow... WAIT! Propagating? nvm I thought he said procreating... :blushing:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mbytcaVsY01rvny2d.gif
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    but thank you im bookmarking this to send to all the peoples
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

Oh Captain, MY Captain!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    but thank you im bookmarking this to send to all the peoples

Me too!
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I wonder who's dime he's working on right now... some poor *kitten*.
    Yours. And your payment is late.

I'm sorry, but these posts fall under the legal category of "third-party" disclosure and therefore must be removed so aformentioned poster that is "allegedly" tardy with his dime will not be publicly humiliated or his "alleged" tardiness discussed here.

OH here we go again. LOL :)
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

-
    Anything put online is public, and you waive your right to privacy.

Yes, and no. (And it gets complicated in a hurry....)

If you post something online that can be openly accessed by anyone, there is nothing that would prohibit someone from "using it against you," if the circumstance for same was reasonable and appropriate.

Example A: If one were to post on Facebook: "Man, I sure do hate women and gophers..." It would be perfectly acceptable for that person's "enemies" to use that quote against them if they were running for office, or applying for a job, etc.

Example B: If one were to privately write in an email: "Man, I sure do hate women and gophers..." It would be perfectly acceptable for the intended recipient to use that quote against them if they were running for office, or applying for a job, etc. However, if an unintended recipient "hacked" or illegally accessed a computer system to receive that email, there is a world of legal issues that come into play, including a few felonious crimes.

In short, the main questions to ask are... "Is there an expectation of privacy?" and "If there is an expectation, to what degree?"

Tendering personal/private information on a public forum abates an expectation of privacy for that particular post. It does not negate privacy for the poster forever and ever thereafter, on any issue and any topic, forever, amen. And, it does not give anyone the right to violate the law and/or commit a crime against that poster.

-

This is very good to know. Thank you.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Not to be nitpicky, but truth is a defense against libel IN THE UNITED STATES. In the UK, it is not a sure defense against libel, which leads to all sorts of fun. That's why we learned in history class about John Peter Zenger, because it was a legal innovation that set a precedent for all of US defamation jurisprudence.
  • peejay34mason
    peejay34mason Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Oh yeah! Bow chicka wow wow... WAIT! Propagating? nvm I thought he said procreating... :blushing:

Damn it to hell.... Just when I thought this post was gettin real FUN!
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    The word on the streets is that he just a paralegal, couldnt pass the bar all the times he tried
    I wish. That would make my days so much easier.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Not to be nitpicky, but truth is a defense against libel IN THE UNITED STATES. In the UK, it is not a sure defense against libel, which leads to all sorts of fun. That's why we learned in history class about John Peter Zenger, because it was a legal innovation that set a precedent for all of US defamation jurisprudence.
    Probably. I know very little about UK law, less those that relate to copyright.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options

God I love Jack.....yum
    this^^^^ :love:
  • GorillaEsq
    Options

God I love Jack.....yum
    this^^^^ :love:
    Slander.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I said it before and Ill say it again:

SENSATIVE PEOPLE: please let us know your are by typing SENSATIVE BEFORE you answer so we may alter or exaggerate our opinion of you in order to not hurt your feelings or cause you to post another thred about sensativity and sarcasim and rudness.:flowerforyou:

DISCLAIMER: Please note that not all fitness pals are subject to comment and may choose to skip a poster by choice. Fitness pals cannot be forced to exaggerat or alter thier opinions. The constitutional amemdments protect all my fitness pals- including but not limited to the fifth amendement of the Costitution of the United States of America. This includes marranda rights- the right to remain silent. Non-Americans are subject and intitled to the same protection as an American by choice.

THIS IS A JOKE.:smokin: get over it. Im sarcastic and you know it.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I said it before and Ill say it again:

SENSATIVE PEOPLE: please let us know your are by typing SENSATIVE BEFORE you answer so we may alter or exaggerate our opinion of you in order to not hurt your feelings or cause you to post another thred about sensativity and sarcasim and rudness.:flowerforyou:

DISCLAIMER: Please note that not all fitness pals are subject to comment and may choose to skip a poster by choice. Fitness pals cannot be forced to exaggerat or alter thier opinions. The constitutional amemdments protect all my fitness pals- including but not limited to the fifth amendement of the Costitution of the United States of America. This includes marranda rights- the right to remain silent. Non-Americans are subject and intitled to the same protection as an American by choice.

THIS IS A JOKE.:smokin: get over it. Im sarcastic and you know it.
    I think most guys just read your posts and nod their heads with big, stupid grins. ;)
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    too lawyer-ish or maybe my words are too big?? lol:ohwell: