Slander, Libel & Privacy 101

Options

Replies

• GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    too lawyer-ish or maybe my words are too big?? lol:ohwell:
    Too lawyer-ish is just not possible with me.
  • facingfortyfierce
    facingfortyfierce Posts: 5,156 Member
    Options
    too lawyer-ish or maybe my words are too big?? lol:ohwell:
    Too lawyer-ish is just not possible with me.

Hmmmm....what is too big?!?
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mbytcaVsY01rvny2d.gif

God I love Jack.....yum

I had that exact same thought when I rolled down and saw that gif.
  • cheninaerin
    Options
    I don't understand what you have against women and gophers.
    ^
  • PapaDunx
    PapaDunx Posts: 243
    Options
    We shouldnt let the truth get in the way of a good slander or libel!

Im interested in the computer laws (Why on earth pick Tonga, I dont know .. they only have one steam-powered computer :wink: ). Im studying Forensic Computing and the UK laws frankly scare the doobies out of me.

So many loopholes! :noway:

Im going back to my mountain in the desert, shaving my head and joining the monastery to grow root vegetables. Its all too much :huh:
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    We shouldnt let the truth get in the way of a good slander or libel!

Im interested in the computer laws (Why on earth pick Tonga, I dont know .. they only have one steam-powered computer :wink: ). Im studying Forensic Computing and the UK laws frankly scare the doobies out of me.

So many loopholes! :noway:

Im going back to my mountain in the desert, shaving my head and joining the monastery to grow root vegetables. Its all too much :huh:
    Scotland has arguably the toughest "cyber stalking" laws in the world right now. 5 year mandatory prison sentence for using a computer to stalk people. That's fairly hardcore.
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options

-
    A. I'm fairly sure BlaBla-B's screen name is not their given, legal, Christian name. Since we don't know who they actually are, libel is not applicable under any circumstance.

What, precisely, is a Christian name?

As a non-Christian, I only know that I don't have one.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options

-
    A. I'm fairly sure BlaBla-B's screen name is not their given, legal, Christian name. Since we don't know who they actually are, libel is not applicable under any circumstance.

Like a Jewish name, but more Jesus-y. ;)

I actually hate the term "Christian name," however it's an old-school legal reference.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

-

I actually hate the term "Christian name," however it's an old-school legal reference.

Simply means the name they were given at birth. During the time the phrase was coined, in most instances an infant's name was publicly declared at their christening ceremony, which is a Christian tradition. Hence, the term "Christian name". An alternate term, "given name", may be used if you prefer that.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options

-

Simply means the name they were given at birth. During the time the phrase was coined, in most instances an infant's name was publicly declared at their christening ceremony, which is a Christian tradition. Hence, the term "Christian name". An alternate term, "given name", may be used if you prefer that.
    You don't have to Google stuff just to talk to me. You can just say, "I have soooooo missed your awesomeness." It's ok. We all know. ;)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

-

You don't have to Google stuff just to talk to me. You can just say, "I have soooooo missed your awesomeness." It's ok. We all know. ;)

If by "missed" you mean I noticed it's been awfully quiet around here lately, then, yes, I missed you. :wink: And I didn't Google it. My dad was a Baptist pastor for 13 years, I've grown up in church, and I attended Christian schools growing up, so I know about as much as one possibly can regarding Christian traditions. Although, upon rereading my previous comment, I'll admit the wording sounds awfully Wikipedia-ish. Maybe I should be doing technical writing for a living.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    The word on the streets is that he just a paralegal, couldnt pass the bar all the times he tried
    I wish. That would make my days so much easier.

I know, right?!! Playing on MFP is so much work, damn it
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    yes, I missed you. :wink:
    Ahhh. Shucks. Thanks.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    And quiet? Clearly you've not been paying attention.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

-
    Is BlaBla-A's act of copying and pasting BlaBla-B's quotes an act of "libel?"

No. Not even a little. Libel, like slander, is a form of defamation of character. However, unlike slander, libel entails written defamation. Libel is not an issue here for the following two (2) reasons:

B. Truth is an absolute defense in any libel case. If it's "true," it's not "libel."

C. "Libel" and "Liable" are NOT the same d@mn thing.
    -- Libel = defamation of character
    -- Liable = responsibility for an act or action

For the record... A is situationally dependent and B is by no means absolute.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options

-

No. Not even a little. Libel, like slander, is a form of defamation of character. However, unlike slander, libel entails written defamation. Libel is not an issue here for the following two (2) reasons:

B. Truth is an absolute defense in any libel case. If it's "true," it's not "libel."

The "truth" is what's known as an "affirmative defense" in any libel case. Coupled with the First Amendment, the "truth" is an absolute defense.

Trust me. ;)
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

-

The "truth" is what's known as an "affirmative defense" in any libel case. Coupled with the First Amendment, the "truth" is an absolute defense.

Trust me. ;)

If your knowledge is supposed to earn my trust... no dice.

Depending on state laws, situations can occur like Noonan v. Staples

Edited to add: The thing about absolutes is that they aren't so absolute.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Can this thread be considered harrassment and cause for mental anquish?
    If you ask the mods, ALL of my threads cause them mental anguish.

smiley-shocked001.gif
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<My SN is my legal name.

Remember that when you quote me, foo'.

Oh and yes, I understood everything clearly, before someone decides to point out that I'm stupid.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options

-

Trust me. ;)

If your knowledge is supposed to earn my trust... no dice.

Depending on state laws, situations can occur like Noonan v. Staples

Edited to add: The thing about absolutes is that they aren't so absolute.
    The only issue raised by Noonan vs Staples, Inc. is a question of competency of counsel pursuant to the defendant's failure to raise the First Amendment as an irrefutable base-argument and affirmative defense, which by chance, they later petitioned to remedy, but were denied on the basis of procedure, not precedent.. In my opinion the court was in err by assuming a state-level statute from 1902 was "Constitutional," prima facie.

When and if that case is further appealed, Noonan will lose.

I will take my years of experience, the First Amendment to the Constitution, volumes of case law and thousands of quashed libel cases over a single, mishandled case you Googled, any day of the week.

Next.