Runners???

Options
I am really hoping on doing my first 5k can any one give me pointers or tips?????

What should I start working on....
What's the best training.
I am a slower runner and I would love to try this. It is on a awesome day to start....thanksgiving!!! So I thought that would be a fabulous way to keep encouraged that day on my diet!!!!! I exercise and have been keeping up with cardio, but I hardly run. Would the treadmill be the place to start???

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a couch to 5K program to get you started. They are great. And everyone is different but I personally hate running on a treadmill. It's too boring. I love to be outside, actually going somewhere when I run. Good luck!!
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    It's a great goal. If you are just starting to run then it is also a challenging one. Can you run a mile? Have you run a mile recently?
  • janasjourney
    Options
    I just did a 5k last week. I started with the Couch to 5k plan. I was 290's at the time and ran my first 5k. I now love it so much. smile:
  • tanya1899
    Options
    it's not so challenging-i think she could do it easily!
  • tanya1899
    Options
    i just mean to be encouraging-i didn't know if others weren't sure she could even run a mile!:smile:
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    Everybody who is going to jump in here and recommend Couch to 5K please note that does not answer her question. One size doesn't fit all. Thanksgiving is less than 9 weeks away so the question is more along the lines of how far she currently runs and and walks, and also what her goals are for running and walking in the race. But that is awesome for those who have completed and like that program.
  • katastrophictendencies
    Options
    my best friend and i just did our second 5k and doing the third this saturday, just do it is my advice. We went with the goal in mind to just finish and we maintain that. It doesn't matter if you have to take a break here and there and we knew we weren't going to be first, but we have made sure we weren't last either. signing up and trying is the best you can do, the advice i have is definitely do not run the day before, I always do better with at least one day off. Once you get in there, you will be focused and be able to complete your goal, just keep it realistic and remember you gave an effort!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a couch to 5K program to get you started. They are great. And everyone is different but I personally hate running on a treadmill. It's too boring. I love to be outside, actually going somewhere when I run. Good luck!!

^ Ditto ^ I started C25K in mid-January and ran my first 5K in late March. I've run two more 5Ks and a 10K since then, and I'm training for a half-marathon. Running is addictive!
  • tanya1899
    Options
    have you heard bad things about it?(C25K) sounds like you are a little skeptical
  • tanya1899
    Options
    I was asking RunXstrong that question
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    Ok, well maybe I misunderstood. I thought her goal was to run a 5k on Thanksgiving.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I never tried the couch to 5k program, but I hear good things.

I use runkeeper.com to track my runs and selected a 5k training plan from that website. it is free and, I think, an excellent tool for someone who never ran a race before (like me).

I am not sure 9 weeks is enough time to complete a 5k traning plan (I think they are set up for 16 weeks) but I did the 10k training plan for 6 weeks (after running with a friend for 6 weeks) and will run my first 5k Saturday. I have improved speed and distance easily with the program and feel confident about my 5K. I will continue the 10k raining and hopefully run a 10k next.

Best of luck to you! And remember, even if you have to walk over the finish line, you still did it!
  • tanya1899
    Options
    thanksgiving is 4 weeks away! woah-that's not much time!!:frown:
  • tanya1899
    Options
    well- i think that is her goal.....i think she thought that would be motivating to do it on a "high-eating" day.....and she could stay in control of her diet.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I recommend that you run outside and not on the treadmill because a treadmill will not prepare you for street or trail running (in my opinion). Plus, the treadmill was really hard for me to stay on for very long and now I run 6-7 miles at my longest distance and could never stay on a treadmill that long without getting soooooo bored.
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 4 mile race and 5k this summer. I didn't follow the couch to 5k exactly. I just started pushing myself a little further each day I ran. It helped when I stopped focusing on how far I would run at one time and just started doing it for minutes at a time. For example, If I was doing a distance of 3 miles, the first day I would focus on running 3 minute increments without stopping (no matter how slow I was) then the second day I ran I did 5 minutes without stopping, then 8, then 10 and so on until I didn't have to keep track of how long I ran and just ran. I found out that I started running WAY too fast for myself and absolutely couldn't breathe and make it through those 5 minutes so I started running a little slower and It wasn't "easy" but I could do it. Well, now I'm running a half marathon this weekend for the first time and I just started running this year so it's possible. You just have to get out there every week. To get ready for the half marathon I followed a 12 month training plan from Runner's World magazine. Good luck! Feel free to add me because I still feel like I'm a beginner runner.

And about the treadmill. I think it's fine to run on a treadmill but don't only rely on your treadmill. The treadmill will definitely be easier and if that is all you use you will be unpleasantly surprised by how much more effort you need to give while running outside. I'd say mix it up. I like to run on a gravel bike path because it's flat and actually softer than running on pavement.
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    I started running last year, i'm now looking at doing a half marathon next year - i love it!

if you have a smart phone (iphone etc) try the Runkeeper app i swear by it! you can use coaching to build it up in a similar way to C25K (though i find that program a bit slow)

building it up gradually you will eventually close the gap between running and walking - aim to run 30mins non stop this will almost set you up for 5kms

agree with the prior running is addictive, and amazing stress relief, i just whack my headphones in with some thumping tunes and go for it!

slow and steady wins the race - you might feel useless and slow to start with - but remember you are still running laps around those who are sitting their butts on the couch!!! :) GOOD LUCK!!
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options

^ Ditto ^ I started C25K in mid-January and ran my first 5K in late March. I've run two more 5Ks and a 10K since then, and I'm training for a half-marathon. Running is addictive!

Love this program! I am on w3D2 and I am so nervous about week 4! I didn't really think I would be that great with this program but surprisingly I find myself enjoying it. Just remember if you do choose this program that you should probably follow its guidelines the way it suggests. Couch to 5K also has a facebook page with some great information on running in general. I run outside but BEWARE I ran at a popular running spot for the first time on Monday (I have been using a different location up till now) and the change in topography nearly killed me! lol
  • tanya1899
    Options
    i totally agree! treadmills=boring. But i know winter is coming and maybe i will have to reconsider only running outside...
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Everybody who is going to jump in here and recommend Couch to 5K please note that does not answer her question. One size doesn't fit all. Thanksgiving is less than 9 weeks away so the question is more along the lines of how far she currently runs and and walks, and also what her goals are for running and walking in the race. But that is awesome for those who have completed and like that program.

true, unless she's very fit it's unlikely that she'll complete a Couch to 5k or similar program in less than 9 weeks...but it's still a great starter program for beginning runners. I think that's why so many people are recommending it. I actually used a variation on it that took me about 13 weeks.

OP, I would also recommend looking into Jeff Galloway (jeffgalloway.com), he also advocates a run/walk training method, but walking breaks continue for most people even after you've trained to a certain level of fitness.

If you haven't been running, start out with a few minutes walking and 30-60 seconds of running. Repeat until you've run/walked for about 20 minutes, if possible.

It really doesn't matter whether you use treadmill or run outside when training for a 5k, but running outside will be a better indicator of what a real 5k race event is like--uneven terrain, weather, etc. I would not recommend treadmill-only training for anything longer than a 5k, however.

Even if you can't run 3.1 miles on the day of your event, you can run/walk it--lots of people run/walk 5ks and other races.

Tips:
    Make sure you have proper shoes--you may want to go to a specialty running store and have a gait test to make sure you're wearing the right running shoes. This can prevent shin splints and other issues.

Google "dynamic stretches" (leg swings, etc) and do them before you run--save static stretching for after your warm up or after you've completed a run.

Don't run too fast--you should be able to carry on a very brief conversation while running, without gasping for air...

Don't run every day--every other day is good to start and gives your body time to recover in between runs.

Good luck and have fun!