Runners???

Options
2»

Replies

• rinny107
    Options
    If you have an iphone, there is a really good app called C25K (Couch to 5 Kilometres). It is based around running/walking 30 mins a day, 3 days a week and it gradually builds up to less walking, more running, until 8 weeks when u should be able to run 5 kms. Good luck, great challenge to set yourself. I've recently started running too, it's great with good music on, and I run on the treadmill, u will surprise yourself how quickly you get the stamina to run longer. :)
  • shereemaria
    shereemaria Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Getting from zero to 5K is totally do-able in 4 weeks if you stay regimented and manage not to hurt yourself.

If you *do* end up on the treadmill for your training, I suggest putting it at a small incline so when you do your out-doors 5K you won't be in for such a shock on the new terrain.

1-3% should suffice.
  • Tjm288
    Tjm288 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's a great goal. If you are just starting to run then it is also a challenging one. Can you run a mile? Have you run a mile recently?

No, I have little to no running in my background. I really would like try a mile this week, go from there. I think this a good time to start before turkey days hits me in the face!
  • Tjm288
    Options
    I would recommend a couch to 5K program to get you started. They are great. And everyone is different but I personally hate running on a treadmill. It's too boring. I love to be outside, actually going somewhere when I run. Good luck!!

What us this program ??? Lol so many recommendations and I'm clueless.
  • Tjm288
    Options
    I just did a 5k last week. I started with the Couch to 5k plan. I was 290's at the time and ran my first 5k. I now love it so much. smile:

So encouraging!!! Thank you
  • Tjm288
    Options
    my best friend and i just did our second 5k and doing the third this saturday, just do it is my advice. We went with the goal in mind to just finish and we maintain that. It doesn't matter if you have to take a break here and there and we knew we weren't going to be first, but we have made sure we weren't last either. signing up and trying is the best you can do, the advice i have is definitely do not run the day before, I always do better with at least one day off. Once you get in there, you will be focused and be able to complete your goal, just keep it realistic and remember you gave an effort!

Thank you!!!!! I love that way of thinking!!!!
  • Tjm288
    Options
    Getting from zero to 5K is totally do-able in 4 weeks if you stay regimented and manage not to hurt yourself.

If you *do* end up on the treadmill for your training, I suggest putting it at a small incline so when you do your out-doors 5K you won't be in for such a shock on the new terrain.

1-3% should suffice.

Excellent advice thx
  • Tjm288
    Options
    I started running last year, i'm now looking at doing a half marathon next year - i love it!

if you have a smart phone (iphone etc) try the Runkeeper app i swear by it! you can use coaching to build it up in a similar way to C25K (though i find that program a bit slow)

building it up gradually you will eventually close the gap between running and walking - aim to run 30mins non stop this will almost set you up for 5kms

agree with the prior running is addictive, and amazing stress relief, i just whack my headphones in with some thumping tunes and go for it!

slow and steady wins the race - you might feel useless and slow to start with - but remember you are still running laps around those who are sitting their butts on the couch!!! :) GOOD LUCK!!

Yay thank you!!!!
  • Tjm288
    Options
    Thank you to every one!!!! I will try and use all this advice!!!!!!!! I am really hoping that even if I have to walk across the finish line I stick to the goal of finishing one!!!!! And not feeling so terrified of holidays!!!!! I need this life change. One step at a time....

Thanks again everyone!!!!:heart:
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Your first goal should just be complete the race. It is not about time, just complete it.

How long/far can you run right now??? I'd suggest doing some interval training a couple times a week. You need to be moving for at least 20-30 min 4-5 days a week. REST. Eat properly; your body needs fuel. And remember, you're lapping everybody on the couch! :)
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    It's a great goal. If you are just starting to run then it is also a challenging one. Can you run a mile? Have you run a mile recently?

No, I have little to no running in my background. I really would like try a mile this week, go from there. I think this a good time to start before turkey days hits me in the face!

It is a great time to start! Build up your running distance very slowly and do it 3 or 4 times a week at first. It gets easier if you are regular and consistent. Keep with your program of a calorie deficit and keep on to your goal weight as that will help tremendously with the running too. You are amazing every day you move forward with your goals. And you have a beautiful profile picture by the way!
  • uptheirons78
    Options
    In the beginning go for distance (or time) not for pace. If you want not to follow C25K there's an easy way to reach your goal. Run/Walk/Run ratio is the best. First 2 weeks go for a 3 minutes run and 2 minutes walk per 8 times (40 minutes), then other 2 weeks go for a 3 minutes run and 1 minute walk per 10 times (again 40 minutes). You'll see that day after day you'll run better and you'll be able to run easily 5 k. Never, never look at your pace during your workouts. Pace in the beginning is not important, at all. You can train if you want from 3 to 6 times a week, but always take a day of rest during your training week. After a month you'll add 1 more km each week during your last workout (my is on saturday, because I have a rest day on sunday), till 10 or 12 km (the best distance to train during any workouts of the week). In the past I ran 3 marathons and dozen half marathons with this method. Now I started training again after 3 years, 3 weeks ago, lost 7 pounds and during my 40 minutes of running I can run about 6,5 km easily with a 3 minutes run and 1 minute walk ratio.
  • DonC77
    DonC77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I personally think if you are new to running C25k is the way to go. You have a goal set in front of you, at the end of 9 weeks you should be able to run a 5k with out stopping. I say "should be able to at the end of 9 weeks" because you may find you have to repeat a week. Not a big deal if you d, just stick with it and push on.

I just completed c25k, I had done some running in the past but nothing near as consistent as c25k. If you started this week you would be somewhere between your 4th and 5th week.

Use the 5k on Thanksgiving day as the first step, even if you walk most of it, track your time then work on bettering it.

I just did a 5k on the treadmill this morning as my basis. I used a 5k training program and it increased the incline up as high as 5.3% and as low as 1%. I maintained the same speed through the entire session.
    I did it in 30 minutes flat. For me a decent time for others I sure there are quite a few who could shave off 5 or 6 minutes, and same for the other direction, I m sure there are those starting out that would love to be there. But that doesn't matter.
    What matters is how you do and what keeps you hungry for wanting to run another day.

I say slow and steady build up and then start focusing on shaving time off the miles. You need to get your body used to running if you have not been doing it.

Whichever way you decide, I wish you the best