Giving blood :)

Options
feathertouch
feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to spread the attention of giving blood :) It's a very important thing and more than likely at some point in life you yourself may need to have blood given to you, if not then great but wouldn't you feel better knowing that just by giving blood saves another persons life.
I'm giving blood this morning and hopefully you will give blood too at some stage :)
It's my first time and I'm terrified of needles hahaha hopefully I won't faint :P

peace out and give blood :)
xxxxxx

Replies

• needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I normalyy do kind of therapy 3 times a year by sucking blood form my back betwen two sholders.
    leeches are also famous for that
  • stagknight
    stagknight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I used to but have reached my life time limit, they won't take any more and retired me with a nice little badge.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    If I donate 5 times at work I get an extra vacation day :)

I donate regularly.
  • lisha7997
    lisha7997 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Europe so I'm not allowed to donate. :(

I was going to be a bone marrow donor.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I signed up recently and will be giving blood for the first time next week!! :)

Edited to say that I am also an organ donor :) Have been since I was 18.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I used to give regularly, but then they wouldn't take me because of my heart. Sigh. But I do think it's extremely important to donate. Good for you!

Be an organ donor too, people! Save lives!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I'm an organ donor but have never been able to give blood. Too young, anemic, tattoo, etc. I did have to have a transfusion about a year and a half ago so thank you to everyone that donates! I like living and you helped me do that. :flowerforyou:
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Throughout my adult life I've been hovering below and over 110 pounds. So all in all, I managed to give blood only once because often I wasn't allowed to donate.
    I am an organ donor though, I give blood when I can.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I used to but have reached my life time limit, they won't take any more and retired me with a nice little badge.
    I didn't realize there was a lifetime limit. Interesting!
  • MySunshine76
    Options

I have never heard anything about a lifetime limit either, that wouldn't make any sense given your body doesn't stop making it.

I, too, am an organ donor.

I occasionally give blood, most of the time I donate platelets though. It's every two weeks, technically you can give evry 7 days, but they like you to wait 2 weeks. My next appt. is Nov. 12. My birthday, hopefully, what I give will help someone. That would be an amazing birthday present. (For those who are interested, platelets are used alot in cancer patients. They need platelet donations so bad, because the shelf life for them is only 5 days. You should look into it.):smile:

Giving life only takes a little time.
  • Marathon_Maniac
    Marathon_Maniac Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I give platelets and whole blood <3

Sign up with the Red Cross or at a local hospital (I donate to the Kraft Blood Donor Center in Boston, MA)
  • Marathon_Maniac
    Marathon_Maniac Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I have never heard anything about a lifetime limit either, that wouldn't make any sense given your body doesn't stop making it.

I occasionally give blood, most of the time I donate platelets though. It's every two weeks, technically you can give evry 7 days, but they like you to wait 2 weeks. My next appt. is Nov. 12. My birthday, hopefully, what I give will help someone. That would be an amazing birthday present. (For those who are interested, platelets are used alot in cancer patients. They need platelet donations so bad, because the shelf life for them is only 5 days. You should look into it.):smile:

Donating platelets take a little longer however you recover quickly. And Its every 4 weeks as opposed to 6-8 for whole blood.
  • rgf95
    rgf95 Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    It is teh best thing you can do to help others. Started 20 years ago as a dedicated donor for my infoant grandson [1lb 12 oz at birth]. Felt really great to know he had my actual blood not just my blood line. Then I thought ... That's too selfish. Give to those you don't know. Still feeling great about being a donor... Grandson is now a healthy young man. Make a difference? Donat!!
  • MySunshine76
    Options

Donating platelets take a little longer however you recover quickly. And Its every 4 weeks as opposed to 6-8 for whole blood.

It does take longer than giving whole blood, but it's still only an hour or two, at most. (And it doesn't take that long every time) And here in South Carolina, it's every 2 WEEKS (for women), every 7-10 days for men, and whole blood donations can be done every 56 days, no less.
  • stagknight
    stagknight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    There is no limit any more, it was at the time they stopped taking my donations at 60 donations, as I was a plasma donator it racked up quickly, but when they relaxed the rule I never re-registered, I am on medication now so am happy to stay retired.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I've been doing platelets for a while now, and around here you can donate every seven days, and a maximum of 24 times a year --about once every two weeks. And depending on your health, size and platelet count, you can donate a single, double or triple unit each donation. I'm big enough to do triples, and passed the three hundred unit mark a while back.

And they bring you cookies if uou want!
  • jubeesh
    jubeesh Posts: 156
    Options
    I am actually headed to go donate right now. :)
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I want to give blood but I'm terrified of needles :(

I am an organ donor though
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I went over the 5-gallons donated mark just last week. I urge everybody who can do it to do it. It really is an easy and fairly painless way to help a lot of people.
  • painthoss
    painthoss Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I stopped years ago. I'm not afraid of needles or injections. My veins are small and they roll around. The phlebotomists come at me with those firehose needles, have me levitating on the table in pain as they dig the needle around looking for my widdle vein, which they perforate. Sorry, they chirp, and then they do it in the other arm. I end up with huge painful bruises on both arms.

'Not this time, these people are experts, they know what they are doing!" I am told.

After a certain number of identical iterations, I finally wised up and stopped succumbing to peer pressure.

Many people do it with no problem, and I'm glad of it, it's a great program.