Giving blood :)

Options

Replies

• ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have O neg, so the Red Cross goes after me like a vampire. One nurse wanted to put me on a rack to stretch me so I'd be tall enough to give platelets.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've been planning on giving blood, I need to find out when they're next doing it here.

My mum is in remission from leukaemia, and she had loads of blood and platelets transfusions, and I am so grateful to the people who donated them.
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been planning on giving blood, I need to find out when they're next doing it here.

My mum is in remission from leukaemia, and she had loads of blood and platelets transfusions, and I am so grateful to the people who donated them.

On the Red Cross web site they have a section where they can tell you where you give your zip code, a mileage range and a date range and they tell you all the drives in that area. Maps and everything. Then you can make an appointment. Makes it really easy. I like to go to this one church nearby that always has homemade soup (and homemade goodies) for after you give to build your strength back.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Okay yes I know this comment will give people the giggles.

Why do they take so much it has you feeling dizzy/nauseous for a few days afterwards??? I want to give blood but I don't want to have to alter my diet and exercise regime to do so! At work this girl gave blood and ended up passing out and hitting her head (same day as her donation). I'm sure that's an anomaly but THAT is what I'm talking about!
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Europe so I'm not allowed to donate. :(

I was going to be a bone marrow donor.

My Boyfriend's dad got a bone marrow transplant just 6 months ago from a guy in Germany....Check again.
  • texnurse
    texnurse Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My life has been saved 3 times now because of much needed blood transfusions when I had Cancer, now that I am a survivor I donate several times a year, every chance I can (my body willing) Thank you for your post and encouragement, you have a beautiful heart, people just like you SAVED my life.
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    like u i'm scared of the needles but at my local blood bank the tech the does my stuff 95% of the time does it to where i barely feel it from pricking my finger to stickign the needle inmy arm. i dontaed Monday and for the 1st time in 3 years she had a slight problem and it hurt when the needle went in but no to the point it was about 15 years ago when i quit going til about 3-4 years ago when i started going again. back then the tech when she stuck my arm stuck it in wrong then she wouldnt leave it alone. my blood vessel wound up busting and i had a bruise from the elbow where she stuck to my wrist that is why i found the tech i use now she makes it easier on me they recomend giving 3 times a year i'm due to go back to donate around Christmas eve which will be my 5th time this year to give. if waiting for a blood drive it isnt neccesary all u have to do is go to your local blood center and say i want to donate
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    The last time I ever donated blood was when I was disrespected and hurt by doing so. I asked the person that was going to take my blood to change her gloves because she had just stuck 2 other people with the same pair. She asked me why and I told her. She got huffy changed the gloves and did as I asked. When she removed the needle it was pulled out pretty roughly (not saying this could not happen any other time) but left a massive bruise on my arm after that. Also the head of the unit came over to ask what the problem was before I left and I explained this. When I finished he told me that it was for the safety of the staff (BULL) and that if the gloves were not contaminated it was ok. Well first of all I was there giving my blood willingly for others and second of all you can't see germs. Take care while donating and make sure they are using proper procedures! It should be for your safety too. You don't know what other people who donate may have no need to take a risk! Have them change their gloves!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hello folks:
    I'm a surgeon and just wanted to thank all you blood and blood product (platelets etc) donors out there! If you didn't donate I wouldn't be able to do my job...:smile:
  • Coryd2012
    Coryd2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    gave blood for the first time last week cant wait to do it again

i am an organ donor and a bone marrow donor

my daughter had cancer so she had to have blood all the time she also had a bone marrow transplant this is why i do it because so many people did it for her:smile:
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Europe so I'm not allowed to donate. :(

I was going to be a bone marrow donor.

My Boyfriend's dad got a bone marrow transplant just 6 months ago from a guy in Germany....Check again.

It is if you lived there during a risk time from for CJD. My boyfriend is the same way. Born in Germany during that time frame. I am a Red Cross Phlebotomist.....rules are rules.

Thank you to everyone who donates. We appreciate you immensely.
  • Irish_Eyes81
    Irish_Eyes81 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I donate :) It saved my life when I was 12... so I always try to give back when I can!
  • tigerlinly
    Options
    people at my blood bank always change blood every time they handle blood soon as they are done the gloves are in the trash can also about the age yes there is an age limit as well as a limit as to how many times u can donate
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Last time I gave blood, I passed out while I was driving. Now I am scared and they call me every day to donate bc I have universal blood.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I just donated this weekend.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I donate blood as often as I can. I'm O+ so they love me.
  • tigerlinly
    Options
    I went over the 5-gallons donated mark just last week. I urge everybody who can do it to do it. It really is an easy and fairly painless way to help a lot of people.

isnt it great i passed that mark last year
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm going on Sunday..they have refused the last few days because my iron was too low (they require 14) but I have been taking supplements so we will see.
  • WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you that give blood to help others! :flowerforyou: You never know when you or someone you love will need a blood transfusion. I have had 2 and I never dreamed I would ever need one!
  • tigerlinly
    Options
    I stopped years ago. I'm not afraid of needles or injections. My veins are small and they roll around. The phlebotomists come at me with those firehose needles, have me levitating on the table in pain as they dig the needle around looking for my widdle vein, which they perforate. Sorry, they chirp, and then they do it in the other arm. I end up with huge painful bruises on both arms.

'Not this time, these people are experts, they know what they are doing!" I am told.

After a certain number of identical iterations, I finally wised up and stopped succumbing to peer pressure.

Many people do it with no problem, and I'm glad of it, it's a great program.

i have the same problem scared of needles and my veins rolll and are small