What's the best arm exercises

Options
I looked in the mirror last week and noticed that my arms are still huge but now they are hanging. I have lost about 43 pounds since last July. Should I buy some small free weights and do a few exercises or are there other exercises that would help with that area?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I never recommend targeted weight training. It always tends to make the body look awkward (think people with big arms and chests, and little peg legs). Are you taking about having hanging skin though?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    The strict answer to your questions would be bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, and chinups. The actual thing you need to do is lose more fat and do a proper full body weight lifting routine. Check this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes I am talking about hanging skin. Mind you now my arms are still fat but they are def hanging more than ever before. It's so gross.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    push ups. nothing hits more muscles then push ups.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

And tricep dips..lots of them, I swear by them
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Pushups and tricep dips help soooo much! At least for me, I've been doing a good bit of them on my strength training days and in the past three weeks I've lost an inch and a half around my arms.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Yes I am talking about hanging skin. Mind you now my arms are still fat but they are def hanging more than ever before. It's so gross.

Mmkay, hard truth time. Your only real options are as follows: build up the muscles in your arms using the exercises the other guys mentioned plus maybe some bench press, curls, overhead press, etc. That in and of itself won't get rid of the skin though, just help fill it out a bit. The only things that get rid of lose skin are time and surgery.
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What is a bicep dip? I don't know if I can do pushups. I will try to do at least one! What about the kind that you use like on a table/chair or step? Would it even benefit to do that kind until I can do real ones? I have no upper body strength. Thanks everyone. Always looking for helpful information. My girlfriend had the surgery years ago to remove skin and I remember it being very painful for her.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    What is a bicep dip? I don't know if I can do pushups. I will try to do at least one! What about the kind that you use like on a table/chair or step? Would it even benefit to do that kind until I can do real ones? I have no upper body strength. Thanks everyone. Always looking for helpful information. My girlfriend had the surgery years ago to remove skin and I remember it being very painful for her.

Can you do a pushup on your knees at least? If you cant do a real push up...just do them on your knees until you build the core needed for a real pushup. I'm guessing if you cant do a pushup...dips and pullups are also out.

If you have a gym membership, find the assisted dip/pullup machine and use weight assistance to help you crank out some. If you truly cant do 1....you have a long road but this machine will help.
  • jealous_loser
    Options

Can you do a pushup on your knees at least? If you cant do a real push up...just do them on your knees until you build the core needed for a real pushup. I'm guessing if you cant do a pushup...dips and pullups are also out.

If you have a gym membership, find the assisted dip/pullup machine and use weight assistance to help you crank out some. If you truly cant do 1....you have a long road but this machine will help.

I wouldn't suggest doing them on your knees, try doing them with your hands on something elevated for a while. Like a step, or a bench. Just make sure that it is secur (against a wall or attached to the floor) and sturdy and get pumping!
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Don't waist your time with small weights. They won't do anything for you.

Best thing I've ever done for my arms? Push-ups, lots of push-ups, and they're free.

Start with regulary military form if you can, and knock out as many as possible.

Then drop to your knees and knock out as many as possible.

Then lie on your stomach and push yourself up in a mini-cobra position as many times as possible.

If you have to start on your knees to do any, start there. Just make sure every time you at least attempt a regular push-up. Eventually you will be able to.

Keep doing this twice a day, 3 or more days a week, and your arms will thank you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I started out my fitness journey with the Couch to 5k program and lost loads of inches from my thighs (especially) and calves, and also from my waist and hips, but not even a teeny bit from my arms. I have now been doing the 30 Day Shred 2-3 times a week since October 1 and have lost 1.5 inches from my arms for the first time. (plus my waist and hips, but nothing from my calves) This workout does low weight lifts (I'm doing 5 pounds) compounding arms with legs. Though they tease about the low weights, for those of us still in the "novice" category, it makes a huge difference.

I also agree with the posters stating push-ups. Push-ups are also part of the 30DS. I used to do them on my own, as part of my "off-day" routine in conjunction with C25k, but I wasn't pushing myself hard enough apparently. :blushing: Since Jillian Michael's has been making me try a lot harder, I have noticed a huge improvement. I can almost do real push-ups now (as opposed to modified ones). I also highly recommend planks!!! I started out only being able 4 seconds and have progressed to 30 seconds now.

My biggest advice is to keep pushing yourself and be consistent. A lot of people will push their own routine as being the best way, but it is *so much* more important that you push *yourself* a little bit harder with each workout and to stay consistent.

I still have plenty of fat on my arms, of course, but when I flex my muscles, I can actually find a firm spot now when I feel of my arms! :tongue:

:flowerforyou:
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    ... I don't know if I can do pushups. I will try to do at least one! What about the kind that you use like on a table/chair or step? Would it even benefit to do that kind until I can do real ones? I have no upper body strength. Thanks everyone. Always looking for helpful information. My girlfriend had the surgery years ago to remove skin and I remember it being very painful for her.

YES! Start with modified ones using a table or chair. Gradually lower your angle until you can do them on the floor for real. I started out doing them against a wall. I would just lean in and push myself away from the wall. I couldn't even do a single modified one at first.
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    Pushups and tricep dips help soooo much! At least for me, I've been doing a good bit of them on my strength training days and in the past three weeks I've lost an inch and a half around my arms.

Push ups are amazing. I skipped them for soooo long. Now I love them. Def do as many as you can
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Don't waist your time with small weights. They won't do anything for you.

"small weights" are relative to experience

"light" to one person is heavy to another
  • ChgingMe
    Options

In all honesty. You have no upper body strength because you haven't worked your upper body enough. I could not do one push up. Now I can do between 8 and 10. Not much to some but a huge accomplishment to me. My next step is to do them in plank instead of on my knees. Work the muscle and it will strengthen
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I looked in the mirror last week and noticed that my arms are still huge but now they are hanging. I have lost about 43 pounds since last July. Should I buy some small free weights and do a few exercises or are there other exercises that would help with that area?

Only if by small you mean no lower than 15lbs ;) work on getting down push ups, pull ups, and lift heavy!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Only if by small you mean no lower than 15lbs ;) work on getting down push ups, pull ups, and lift heavy!

Hmmm... I really think that depends on the person. A not-so-young lady such as myself, who has hitherto fore been requiring the kiddos to carry in the "heavy" groceries might be unable to use correct form with a 15 pound dumbbell. :wink:
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Hmmm... I really think that depends on the person. A not-so-young lady such as myself, who has hitherto fore been requiring the kiddos to carry in the "heavy" groceries might be unable to use correct form with a 15 pound dumbbell. :wink:

My wife does a 155lbs clean... I think this young lady can use a 15lbs weight.

No excuses, just do.