What's the best arm exercises

Options

Replies

• nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    well that hanging is your triceps. pusups work out your chest and arms, close arm pushups work more of your triceps. Be best friends with the tricep machine if possible, and do close arm pushups, bur make sure you also doing other exercises that work your chest back and biceps because all of the muscles connect to each other, but triceps is your target area, so make that a focus with biceps, back, chest. start by seeing if you can do a pushup, then see how many you can do. a nice goal for you would be something like 10 pushups in a row. If you can do that, i highly doubt you would have hanging fat on your triceps.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    The strict answer to your questions would be bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, and chinups. The actual thing you need to do is lose more fat and do a proper full body weight lifting routine. Check this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

^^^^This and push ups!!! Also if your weights are too light (you're able to do 12 reps easily) then they are not challenging the muscle enough and there for you will get very little results. I'm also a big fan of doing compound movements to get the most change in your body (google).
  • aaljurdi
    aaljurdi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There is an app called Workout Trainer which I highly recommend you download. My sister-in-law is a Personal Trainer and told me about this app and how she hopes here clients do not download this. You basically fill out the info of what you want to accomplish, and it will give you a set of workout routines you do on a daily. In addition, there is video demonstrations on how to do the excercise, etc, and a support group as well just to name a few. This site as well as Workout Trainer have certainly helped me. Good luck.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I looked in the mirror last week and noticed that my arms are still huge but now they are hanging. I have lost about 43 pounds since last July. Should I buy some small free weights and do a few exercises or are there other exercises that would help with that area?

Only if by small you mean no lower than 15lbs ;) work on getting down push ups, pull ups, and lift heavy!

Hmmm... I really think that depends on the person. A not-so-young lady such as myself, who has hitherto fore been requiring the kiddos to carry in the "heavy" groceries might be unable to use correct form with a 15 pound dumbbell. :wink:

My wife does a 155lbs clean... I think this young lady can use a 15lbs weight.

No excuses, just do.

That's great for your wife. But let's be realistic. Telling someone who has been completely sedentary for years that they should be able to suddenly lift 155 pounds is laughable at best. My 15 year old daughter is even stronger than me. That will change soon enough. I will be moving up to 10 pound weights, then eventually I'll be able to do 15, then 20 and so on. But let's not pretend that everyone starts at the same level.

My point is that "lifting heavy" is relative to the individual. And *no one* should lift more than they are able to do with proper form.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I looked in the mirror last week and noticed that my arms are still huge but now they are hanging. I have lost about 43 pounds since last July. Should I buy some small free weights and do a few exercises or are there other exercises that would help with that area?

Only if by small you mean no lower than 15lbs ;) work on getting down push ups, pull ups, and lift heavy!

Hmmm... I really think that depends on the person. A not-so-young lady such as myself, who has hitherto fore been requiring the kiddos to carry in the "heavy" groceries might be unable to use correct form with a 15 pound dumbbell. :wink:

No excuses, just do.

That's great for your wife. But let's be realistic. Telling someone who has been completely sedentary for years that they should be able to suddenly lift 155 pounds is laughable at best. My 15 year old daughter is even stronger than me. That will change soon enough. I will be moving up to 10 pound weights, then eventually I'll be able to do 15, then 20 and so on. But let's not pretend that everyone starts at the same level.

My point is that "lifting heavy" is relative to the individual. And *no one* should lift more than they are able to do with proper form.

Well it is realative. My wife lifted for the first time at age 37 after being sedintary for years and was doing 5 rep sets of squats at 75, deadlifts at 115, bench at 65, ohp at 45. But yeah, it is good to be careful, and I had her work up to those weights starting with an empty bar and adding weight each set until it got hard.
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    while a lot of people say to do push ups on your knees, i have grown to not like that option. the reason being that most people perform the exercise wrong by having the wrong posture and making it less effective.

i would definitely do push ups against a table until you start being able to do 20-30 in a row that way. then move on to a chair, and then lower.

there is an app called hundred push ups. get that. even if its while you are doing the table/chair ones.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Why "small" free weights?
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Shake weight all the way.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing if you cant do a pushup...dips and pullups are also out.

Not necessarily true. I can manage dips quite easily but really struggle with pushups.

I suggest that the OP does a search on YouTube for correct technique for dips. Both the arm of my couch and my bed are the right height for these so you don't need a gym.

I'd also suggest pushups, modified if necessary, but again find someone on YouTube to help with correct technique.

Start low and try and do a little bit more each day.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Push ups and pull ups. Two exercises that will essentially work your entire upper body.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    Shake weight all the way.

shakeweight.jpg
  • babsb121
    babsb121 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Best arm exercise I ever found was carrying the shopping...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Best arm exercise I ever found was carrying the shopping...

carrying+groceries.png
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I tried weights, and still do them some, though not regularly. I lifted heavy weights and I lifted lighter weights with more reps. Both are useful, but nothing helped with arm sagging better than pushups for me.

I couldn't even do one regular pushup when I started, so I started with modified pushups against a desk and now I can do up to 50 (!!) regular pushups. I still have to do them in sets but I am slowly adding more to one set. That may not seem like a big deal to some, but it is HUGE for this 51 yo lady who couldn't do them even when she was young.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Small free weights would not be useful. YOu need heavy weights. But honestly, pushups are just as good.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I tried weights, and still do them some, though not regularly. I lifted heavy weights and I lifted lighter weights with more reps. Both are useful, but nothing helped with arm sagging better than pushups for me.

I couldn't even do one regular pushup when I started, so I started with modified pushups against a desk and now I can do up to 50 (!!). I still have to do them in sets but I am slowly adding more to one set. That may not seem like a big deal to some, but it is HUGE for this 51 yo lady who couldn't do them even when she was young.

You've just inspired me to start doing mine again!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

No excuses, just do.

Oh I'm sorry, I fail to see where I said this woman should suddenly start lifting 155lbs out of nowhere. I said 15lbs (thats not even "15lb dumbbells, just 15 lbs). The only thing I find laughable on this site is your excuses for any and every topic...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

No excuses, just do.

Well it is realative. My wife lifted for the first time at age 37 after being sedintary for years and was doing 5 rep sets of squats at 75, deadlifts at 115, bench at 65, ohp at 45. But yeah, it is good to be careful, and I had her work up to those weights starting with an empty bar and adding weight each set until it got hard.

I could do that in high school. In fact, I reached the point to where I could bench over my body weight. (I will also admit that after my c-sections, the doctor told me not to lift anything over 10 pounds for at least six weeks. For some reason, I waited 15 years instead. I never tried a dead-lift or squats, so I have no idea on those.

I just don't like the idea of putting a number to someone that you don't know. And I firmly believe that if you can't do a single push-up, then modified push-ups are a great way to start. (I also agree with the guy about *NOT* doing them on your knees.) Personally, I've decided against buying dumbbells because I don't plan to be using the light ones for very long. But pushups are awesome!

I am hoping that I will regain my strength quickly. I've read that "lost muscle" is gained much faster than new muscle. But yes, I even shocked myself at my own weakness. :blushing:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    17084b66_a2656658-39-derailed.jpeg