Diatomaceous Earth

Options
Has anyone heard of diatomaceous earth? My daughter told me about this supplement and I looked it up. It looks too good to be true, but I wondered if anyone on here ever heard of it or used it and what, if anything, it did?

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    great for killing bugs
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've used it to kill fleas. It also is used on horses to kill intesinal parasites. I have no idea why a person would want to ingest it (unless you have worms maybe), but if that's your thing, make sure you use the FOOD GRADE D.E. and not the stuff used in pools.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Oops! Sorry. I meant the Food Grade stuff.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It's the only thing that works well for bedbug infestations, to my knowledge. Never heard of anyone eating it!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Poison is always a great way to lose weight...
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of diatomaceous earth? My daughter told me about this supplement and I looked it up. It looks too good to be true, but I wondered if anyone on here ever heard of it or used it and what, if anything, it did?

Works great to lining our swimming pool filter. But seriously, nothing works as good as old fashioned healthy diet and exercise.
  • HeinzPrincess
    Options
    It's already in the food you eat. They toss it in grains to kill the bugs.

Google it! Don't know the health benefits for intentionally eating it, but it doesn't harm you.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It looks too good to be true

Repeat that to yourself over and over until it sinks in. :bigsmile:
  • kelgalon
    kelgalon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've used it as an organic pesticide and I know you can use it as a growing medium but I've never heard of someone taking it as a supplement. That seems........odd.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It has a lot of uses- pest control, filtration, absorbant (for toxic spills but also in cat litter), it used to be in toothpaste (is it still? not sure..) even...

but to my knowledge, you don't eat it... but it won't kill you either.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    350x197px-LL-1887dde5_wait_what.gif
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Oops! Sorry. I meant the Food Grade stuff.
    Food grade D.E. is what is used on horses and cats/dogs for internal and external parasites. It can be sprinkled in carpet and pet bedding to kill fleas. It does this by cutting their exoskeleton and causing them to desiccate/dry out to death. Horses ingest it to kill internal parasites (worms). It does that by cutting the worm's skin and causing them to desiccate.

Non-food grade D.E. is used in swimming pools and will kill you if ingested. Still, like I said, unless you have parasites, I don't know why you'd bother to eat D.E.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    My company uses the chromatography grade in our 'packed columns' to be used in gas testing. Other than that:

Diatomaceous earth (play /ˌdaɪ.ətəˌmeɪʃəs ˈɜrθ/) also known as D.E., diatomite, or kieselgur/kieselguhr, is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder. It has a particle size ranging from less than 3 micrometre to more than 1 millimeter, but typically 10 to 200 micrometres. This powder has an abrasive feel, similar to pumice powder, and is very light as a result of its high porosity. The typical Chemical composition of oven-dried diatomaceous earth is 80 to 90% silica, with 2 to 4% alumina (attributed mostly to clay minerals) and 0.5 to 2% iron oxide.[1]

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive, mechanical insecticide, absorbent for liquids, matting agent for coatings, reinforcing filler in plastics and rubber, anti-block in plastic films, porous support for chemical catalysts, cat litter, activator in blood clotting studies, and a stabilizing component of dynamite. As it is heat-resistant, it can also be used as a thermal insulator.

For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

I've seen nothing about ingesting this stuff.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    You're already doubting it so listen to yourself.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    it's used as a filter aid for processing drinks and other liquids.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I used to farm these in Zul'Drak.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I used to farm these in Zul'Drak.

You can loot those off Icetouched Earthrager.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    350x197px-LL-1887dde5_wait_what.gif

This really made my day.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    sounds like a national geographic special about the second coming of the dinosaurs!