Figure your ACTUAL TDEE without a calculator

Options
124»

Replies

• rambo831
    Options
    According to this link http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html my TDEE is 2932. I'm only consuming 1300-1500 calories daily. Should I up it?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    According to this link http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html my TDEE is 2932. I'm only consuming 1300-1500 calories daily. Should I up it?

Try it and see. Personally, I try to eat as much food as I can while still losing. :drinker:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    WOW....let them eat cake I say!

Dad is greeeaaat, gives us the chocolate caaake!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    LOL, I actually sat down and figured this out a while back myself, but it was a big pain in the butt. I feel like MFP should have an app for it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

You need a reasonable deficit to what you would normally burn daily to have fat loss.

You can have an unreasonable deficit and have more than fat loss, stuff you'd rather keep like muscle.

You do realize TDEE is what you would eat, on average, to maintain, right? If you eat that much, you don't lose.

Depending on amount to lose, less means smaller deficit - that would be 20-10% off as better way of doing it, or 750-250 as MFP way of doing it.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I did this with my real numbers for the year and discovered that all the online calculators had my TDEE at 200 calories higher than reality.

Here's how I explain your method:

1. Add up all the NET calories for the month.

2. Add up all the pounds lost for the month, and multiply that number by 3500 (# of calories in a pound).

3. Add the Totals together (NET calories + (pounds lost X 3500)).

4. Divide that number by 30 (days in the month).

That give you your personal TDEE. Rinse, repeat monthly. Knowledge is power! (And hoarded knowledge is cheap power, fyi.)
    Much simpler!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My scientific method was this-

Started eating what MFP told me to eat. Stopped losing after the first 2 weeks, so lowered calories and started to lose again.

continue lowering calories and eating better while increasing exercise until I was losing at the rate I wanted to lose.

Ignored people who told me I wasn't eating enough and should be eating back my exercise calories.

Did some online researching and found different BMR and BF% calculators that confirmed that I was indeed now eating at the correct calorie level, which is much lower than MFP tells me. (glad I didn't continue to eat at the higher level)

Started using a HRM and found out that MFP exercise database gives calorie burns at TWICE the level they should be for me. (glad I didn't eat them back)

Am now enjoying my consistent weight loss and added strength and energy from weighing less and moving more! (and eating healthier stuff!)