Jumping off of LiveStrong's sinking ship!

Options
Hi there! I decided I wasnt going down w/ the LS ship! So far I like this site better. Started off at 225-230. Made it all the way down to 190 and back up to 199. My goal is 175

Started back on my diet this week and decided it was time for a change!

Lance Armstrong stinks! Cheaters never win, or at least they win at first, but then have their titles stripped years later. but close enough

Replies

• mrpink84
    mrpink84 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I thought Lewis Black said it best on The Daily Show. With how well Armstrong's body performs after being ravaged by cancer, why aren't we ALL doping? :P

Oh and welcome! :)
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I have used Livestrong for some information but nothing more than that, I didn't know until recently Lance Armstrong had anything to do with it.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Lance may have cheated in cycling but he got this Livestrong thing right. It's a shame it will probably die off.
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    Well, welcome aboard!

As for Lance, you know, I have mixed feelings. While I wish performance-enhancing drugs didn't exist so that the true nature of competitive man would have a more level playing field, the truth is a lot of popular sports are entrenched in them. If everyone were surprise tested for these substances in cycling, baseball, football, basketball, and weight lifting, we wouldn't have any teams left. Second, since a lot of teams (not just Lance's) were taking them just in some cases to qualify, it wasn't the drug alone that won seven times; Lance himself was part of the equation, a man who pushes himself hard and performs better than others who are also taking the same drug regimen. To me, official title or not, he will always be a seven-time winner.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yea, LS is a good cause. Too bad he had to be such a penis and ruin it.
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    Hi there! I decided I wasnt going down w/ the LS ship! So far I like this site better. Started off at 225-230. Made it all the way down to 190 and back up to 199. My goal is 175

Started back on my diet this week and decided it was time for a change!

Lance Armstrong stinks! Cheaters never win, or at least they win at first, but then have their titles stripped years later. but close enough
    You do realise not one person in the olimpics is not on juice?
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options
    I dig what ur sayin Gazelle. If everyone is cheating, the playing field is by default leveled. But still...I personally couldnt sleep at night if i knew i was cheating...even if everyone else was. It would feel way more proud beating a bunch of cheaters, not stooping to their level.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options
    I do realize that, and its a shame. Athletes are getting better at timing and hiding it, and the drugs are getting modified. Its a losing battle.
  • shellyhef1
    Options
    Sorry, but I think Lance Armstrong is an amazing person! I personally don't think he is a "cheater". But regardless of any of those allegations (that I am not going to fuss about), he has done SO much for cancer survivors and has raised more money to help with its research than most any other foundation. I don't judge a person by how many medals they have, how many races they win, or how much money they have. But as a two time cancer survivor, I have a huge amount of respect for Lance Armstrong and everything he stands for. Best of luck to Lance Armstrong, and to all those who have benefited from the LiveStrong Foundation!
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    though, they can't prove he cheated........... hmm it's all a bunch of he said/she said and I stand behind Lance....
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I think Lance Armstrong is an amazing person! I personally don't think he is a "cheater". But regardless of any of those allegations (that I am not going to fuss about), he has done SO much for cancer survivors and has raised more money to help with its research than most any other foundation. I don't judge a person by how many medals they have, how many races they win, or how much money they have. But as a two time cancer survivor, I have a huge amount of respect for Lance Armstrong and everything he stands for. Best of luck to Lance Armstrong, and to all those who have benefited from the LiveStrong Foundation!

Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I think it's too bad that it's going down the way it is. If you level the field so that no one was doping, he'd still kick everyones *kitten*. I understand rules are rules, but from my understanding, he didn't really dope. It's being wrongly described and termed.

And, he's done so much more than that. Obviously, he used that to launch other things, but he's done more good than harm.

And, when people are after a person for this long with this much vengence, it makes me wonder what is wrong with them? I dont' really wonder about Lance much. I was certain he was doing it a long time ago, but these people taht relentless chase him, like a terminator, I just wonder what miserable little pieces of *kitten* they must be, how small-minded, feeble, and completed lame, to keep at this for this long. There is no better way to spend their lives except to pursue Lance Armstrong? OMG! Really? Poor miserabloe little people.

We once had a neighbor who relentlessly started pointing out to the city all the neighbors that had things outside of codes. Maybe a house was built 1/2 inch too high. Or a balcony stuck out 4 inches more than it's supposed to. Everyone thought he was a god send as he started defining standards and helping to get everything equal so there were no paying off city workers who did the inspections and that there were no way to get around the codes. There was a small minority of people, like me, that just thought he was a @$$hole. As time went by, I learned he was an unemployede lawyer. Ah, that explained it. Bored out of his mind, walking around the nieghborhhod with a tape measure and reading the city website. Total jerk-off. Then, within 2 years, he leaves the neighborhood. Good riddance jerk.

These guys pursuing Lance remind me of my neighbor. Nothing better to do with their lives.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    What's your agenda, OP? Or do you somehow know for a fact that LA was doping? He hasn't admitted it. It sounds like you love to gossip. Attractive.
  • babytis
    babytis Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Kudos Shelly, I have the same opinion!
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options

Allegations? I think its a little beyond allegations at this point. Beating cancer doesnt inherently make you amazing. Yes he's done some great things for people, but what he did cheapens that.

My best friend since i was a little boy (1st grade and I'm 31 now) just beat non hodgkins lymphoma. They used the "experimental" stuff on him...it was that bad. Stage 4.

Great guy, but he's still a self centered self absorbed immature person. The cancer didnt improve his character. I love him despite his faults. He has some bad qualities and some great qualities....But beating cancer didnt somehow make him into something he wasnt before.

Misforutune does not automatically make character. You have character or not BEFORE bad things happen.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options

Kudos Shelly, I have the same opinion!

This is by a Chicago columnist, Dan Berstein. I Really dont see how anyone can disagree w/ this.

Even those trying as hard as possible to give him every last benefit of the doubt on that count have all but conceded the fight, just as Armstrong himself did when he quit his years-long war against the truth. A mountain of evidence has a way of doing that.

The retreat position for the dead-enders, now, is that everyone in cycling is on drugs, so the playing-field is level and his accomplishments retain their greatness. I guess the logic they apply is that he was better than everyone else at what the sport has become – a doping contest that involves incidental bike-pedaling – so he’s still worthy.

It takes a special kind of mental gymnastics to get there, and even that twisted thought ignores the other clear conclusion presented by the USADA in its exhaustive report, that this guy is just an utterly contemptible ogre.

Deadspin.com on Friday did a nice job combing the evidence for specifics, and what emerges is a pattern of behavior that almost seems cartoonish in its over-the-top wickedness. This is not merely your typical tough-guy athlete, competitive to a fault, fueled by a burning desire to succeed that blinds him to the cares of others. That’s been said for years about Bobby Knight, Michael Jordan, and any number of high-function pathologies. That’s nothing.

This is drama-queen megalomania that nobody would even write for a low-budget TV movie, lest they get laughed out of a meeting. As a fictional villain, the Armstrong character would seem implausibly cheesy, with lines like “I have a lot of time and money, and I can destroy you!”

That’s what he told Italian rider Filippo Simeoni. He was angry because Simeoni testified in a case against dopemaster doctor Michele Ferrari, and he even made a zip-it gesture to underscore his point. Who does that?

The same guy who would say something like this to teammate Tyler Hamilton, probably: “When you’re on the witness stand, we are going to f—ing tear you apart. You are going to look like a f—ing idiot. I’m going to make your life a living…f—ing…hell.”

“BWAAAHAAAAHAAAA!!!!” ?

It’s not just his ridiculous words, either. He made good on the numerous threats to teammates and their wives, using his endless resources to vilify them in the media and drain them in court, all because they had the audacity to tell the truth. He systematically forced cyclists to fill themselves with drugs to keep their jobs, and extorted their silence with the size and scale of his operation’s influence.

He got curious doctors fired from other teams, and even wielded power from within the UCI – the nominal governing body – itself. He still has congressmen in his pocket to try to change laws that threaten him. His tireless lawyers are buoyed by millions of dollars of yellow-rubber bracelets, and they fought all the way to the point that USADA was ruled to have valid jurisdiction, and Armstrong quit.

They are still fighting in the court of public opinion, where they have had so much past success manipulating the enthralled hordes by whatever combination of misinformation, hypnosis, outright lies and personal attacks was necessary. Even after this comprehensive inquest, even after 11 former teammates – including trusted, respected domestique George Hincapie — provided consistently-detailed, sworn testimony, they are still fighting.

They call it a “witch hunt” that is unfairly pursuing their client.

The public will soon decide the tolerance point for Armstrong, since he isn’t going anywhere and his questionable charity will still try to exist. Is overwhelming evidence of cheating enough to reject him? What about his role as the leader of a doping ring, and one that may have spent taxpayer money in the process?

If nothing else, it’s clear in the testimony that he is some kind of monster, and that should matter. The wrong kind of crazy. An unchecked, vainglorious psycho.

This hunt was finally a success. He’s a witch.

Burn him.
  • shellyhef1
    Options

Allegations? I think its a little beyond allegations at this point. Beating cancer doesnt inherently make you amazing. Yes he's done some great things for people, but what he did cheapens that.

My best friend since i was a little boy (1st grade and I'm 31 now) just beat non hodgkins lymphoma. They used the "experimental" stuff on him...it was that bad. Stage 4.

Great guy, but he's still a self centered self absorbed immature person. The cancer didnt improve his character. I love him despite his faults. He has some bad qualities and some great qualities....But beating cancer didnt somehow make him into something he wasnt before.

Misforutune does not automatically make character. You have character or not BEFORE bad things happen.

Well thank GOD I didn't say Lance or I was amazing for beating cancer! I said he was amazing for the things he has done for cancer research. And I also said I wasn't going to argue the doping charges. Some people like to point out the negatives in everyone. I, for one, like to find the positives.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options
    You are wide of the point Shelly.

My best friend, who i would die for to save, is a perfect example.

He was a jerk before cancer, he's a jerk after cancer. Beating cancer is amazing, but didnt make HIM amazing.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You are wide of the point Shelly.

My best friend, who i would die for to save, is a perfect example.

He was a jerk before cancer, he's a jerk after cancer. Beating cancer is amazing, but didnt make HIM amazing.

But, the question is, was he a jerk DURING cancer?
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options
    And all the things lance did he did while being a slimeball! Hitler was pretty much solely responsible for Germany's economic recovery post WWI