Why do we have To Drink So Much Water

Options
124»

Replies

• hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Well, I'm not a water chugger.

I went to a nutritionist many years ago she said 1 glass of water for every 25 lbs of body weight.
    For my current weight I would require 6 cups of water.

Recently read a study that compared hydration effects of coffee compared to water, they for all intents and purposes you CAN count a cup of coffee as equivalent to a cup of water. (though it IS marginally less effective)

I don't PUSH myself to drink and generally consume as a matter of course:
    A 16oz coffee in the AM.
    A 10oz coffee with lunch
    Refill my 16oz cup with water for my evening train ride home.
    Then have a cup or two of tea with dinner and my nighttime snack.

That comes to about figuring my tea mugs are about 10oz. that totals out to about 62 ounces close to 8 cups.
    I figure I'm doing okay.
    Ugh, totally false. Coffe has caffeine which is a diuretic, and tea, even decaf tea has diuretic effects. So if you're drinking water to rehydrate yourself, then coffee and tea are not the same as water.
  • linzisparkles
    linzisparkles Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If your thirsty your already dehydrated

This!
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i despise forcing myself to drink water. seriously, just to drink 8 cups of water a day, i have to sit down and force it down my throat. boo! i'm hardly ever hirsty, except when i'm working out.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    if you don't drink water you will die

not true, myth
    at the peak of my depression i drank nothing but coffee for six months
    i abhored water for some reason durring my depression
    i am sure it was NOT good for me in any way though so i would not reccommend going waterless

... coffee IS water. at least 98% percent of it!
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I'm probably not gong to say this correctly/scientifically/accurately but I had a nutritionist tell me something like this...

If your kidneys aren't properly hydrated then your liver has to help the kidneys filter. If your liver is busy helping the kidneys, it won't be able to do another one of its jobs fully - metabolizing fat.

The exact reason for the need to have enough water.

The celluar function of your body is really important too.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    If your thirsty your already dehydrated
    wow. thats like saying if u r hungry u r already starving!

its true!
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The more you drink the less water retention you body will store
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight without drinking much water. Most days I have one or two glasses of water - rarely more.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason ?

let me ask you a question...have you ever tried to pass a kidney stone? I have...3 times, and it is NOT fun. The last one was 14mm and took 3 surgeries over 3 weeks to deal with. Not to mention my medical bills for that month alone exceeded $40,000. After it was over with, my urologist did some tests. He found that I was chronically dehydrated, and that was preventing my body from diluting and flushing out the minerals found in my food. I was drinking 6-8 glasses of fluids a day.

At his direction I started drinking as much water as I could a day. I took a 32oz bottle and tried to drink 3 per day. That seems to be my magic number. If I drink 96oz+ per day, I do best.