Ladies: Gloves or no gloves?

Replies

• crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    i go through at least 5 pair a year. i never lift without them!!!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    I wear when I can. I have been tearing up my hands lately when I don't wear em.
  • Radiskull
    Radiskull Posts: 70 Member
    I have them. I don't really wear them. I watched Mark Rippetoe demonstrate what happens to your hands when you don't grip the bar correctly, so I concentrate on holding the bar the right way and haven't had a problem. I lift pretty heavy, up to 165 lb dead lift. Also, I have pretty small hands so it is hard to get my hands around the bar anyway, adding more padding doesn't help.
  • Or you could use gym chalk and chalk up your hands. It helps a lot with grip on your deadlifts and helps reduce callouses. I've never used gloves before so I'm afraid I won't be able to comment on that...
  • natalovesmusic
    natalovesmusic Posts: 49 Member
    I do wear gloves because I have steel dumbbells. Otherwise, my hands don't like to stay on one spot. Also, I use them when I do exercises on my yoga mat so my hands don't stick to the mat :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I don't wear gloves (my callouses do get ripped up though on deads). I do use chalk for deadlifts though which helps with grip.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I bought a pair last year to avoid calluses and used them a bit but they annoyed me more than anything, half the time I forgot them so I gave up. I have some calluses. The only time my hands have really bothered me was when I used the gym on the cruise I was on. For some reason, the free weights killed my hands (maybe the grips were so new and sharper, I don't know).

ETA - no one here uses chalk. I have never seen anyone at any of the gyms (not many and I've tried them all). I am not sure if it would be an issue to bring some.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    I have them. I don't really wear them. I watched Mark Rippetoe demonstrate what happens to your hands when you don't grip the bar correctly, so I concentrate on holding the bar the right way and haven't had a problem. I lift pretty heavy, up to 165 lb dead lift. Also, I have pretty small hands so it is hard to get my hands around the bar anyway, adding more padding doesn't help.

I will look into the Rippetoe video. Thanks.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Here are my girly, non-glove wearing, deadlifting hands.

8120692362_4143596b4b.jpg

They are hardly 'torn-up'.

I deadlift 90kg/198lbs.

As Radiskull it's important to grip the bar correctly on heavy lifts, and if you have small hands, gloves might interfere with that.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    I bought weight-lifting gloves but they really annoyed me when I was using my kettlebells as it just did not feel like a secure grip. Then a cyclist friend told me he lifted in cycling gloves, (leather palm but no padding) and I have never looked back. No calluses, no loss of grip and a tight connection to the weight.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    No gloves. Your hands will get stronger as you lift, just like everything else.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Or you could use gym chalk and chalk up your hands. It helps a lot with grip on your deadlifts and helps reduce callouses. I've never used gloves before so I'm afraid I won't be able to comment on that...

This is what I used to use. Never had a problem. I just started lifting again, so I'm not having an issue yet. :grumble:
    (yes I'm grumbling because I don't have a callous issue yet lol)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    No gloves for me and I could deadlift 265 now. The grip strength just comes with time and I think its just as important as part of your overall strength.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    I'm glad you posted this! I've been thinking of getting gloves but I kind of felt like a sissy for doing it :laugh: I'm glad to see others use them. And like another poster said, I've never seen chalk at my gym either. My hands are on the smaller side so I like the idea of the cyclist gloves too. I might finally break down and buy some and see if I like them
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 310 Member
    <
    Gloves! I wouldn't be without them! Whatever makes you feel more comfortable!
  • AngelsFan91106
    Here are my girly, non-glove wearing, deadlifting hands.

8120692362_4143596b4b.jpg

They are hardly 'torn-up'.

I deadlift 90kg/198lbs.

As Radiskull it's important to grip the bar correctly on heavy lifts, and if you have small hands, gloves might interfere with that.

Thanks for the photo. I'm not worried about my hands becoming un-girly. I just hate that my grip isn't as strong as the rest of me. But I do have smaller hands, and I have heard about the padding in gloves influencing the grip, which I wouldn't want.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

I need to recheck that as mine have started to get ripped up. I actually do not have too many problems with just doing deads but it starts getting bad when I do rack pulls after. Thank for the reminder.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    No gloves. I need some straps or hooks for a couple lifts because I simply can't hold the weights.
  • AngelsFan91106
    I love it. Initially it seems like if Team Gloves is winning. Now the non-gloved ladies are coming out.

I understand the concept of developing my grip strength. And I want that. It's just I'm impatient. And it seems so unfair I'm being "held back" by my hands when my legs/back can handle the weight.
  • AngelsFan91106
    I bought weight-lifting gloves but they really annoyed me when I was using my kettlebells as it just did not feel like a secure grip. Then a cyclist friend told me he lifted in cycling gloves, (leather palm but no padding) and I have never looked back. No calluses, no loss of grip and a tight connection to the weight.

If I do go the gloves route, I will have to look into that. That sounds like a really good idea.