Ladies: Gloves or no gloves?

Options

Replies

• AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

This is what I used to use. Never had a problem. I just started lifting again, so I'm not having an issue yet. :grumble:
    (yes I'm grumbling because I don't have a callous issue yet lol)

Haha! Like I said in the beginning, I am actually enjoying having a callus issue. :- D
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    No gloves. My skin and grip are fine.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I love it. Initially it seems like if Team Gloves is winning. Now the non-gloved ladies are coming out.

I understand the concept of developing my grip strength. And I want that. It's just I'm impatient. And it seems so unfair I'm being "held back" by my hands when my legs/back can handle the weight.

I honestly have the same problem.

My trainer agrees that I can lift more than 90kg, my current goal is 100kg, and we think I could do that now if it wasn't for my grip.

We've talked about using straps to help, but I'm stubborn and I don't want to weaken my grip by using an assist.

I asked for advice on the GirlsGoneStrong facebook and they all agreed that doing farmers walks, pull-ups or other grip strengthening exercises is a much better idea.

They said if you want to use straps on just the big lifts then do that, but to train without the gloves or straps to work your grip.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't wear gloves.

I have grip issues with deadlifts, and I was told by my trainer and a few other people on here, that gloves will make that worse.

I deadlift a fair amount though.

Pfffffft. I liked your trainer till he told you this blatant lie. I'd like someone to publish a list of things in real life where one's grip becomes worse if you wear gloves. For every real world activity I can think of where grip becomes a factor, the people are wearing gloves
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't wear gloves. I do have some gross looking callouses, and it took a while for my grip to improve, but it eventually did. I tried using gloves before because of the grip issues, but I felt like they made it worse. Not actually feeling the bar against my skin made me feel like I was going to drop it or something. I started using an over-under grip for deadlifts which really helped.
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm a pervert. I thought this would be about condoms...
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    I don't wear gloves.

I have grip issues with deadlifts, and I was told by my trainer and a few other people on here, that gloves will make that worse.

I deadlift a fair amount though.

Pfffffft. I liked your trainer till he told you this blatant lie. I'd like someone to publish a list of things in real life where one's grip becomes worse if you wear gloves. For every real world activity I can think of where grip becomes a factor, the people are wearing gloves

Back of my trainer fella! Just cause you have that cute baby face in your avatar today doesn't mean I won't growl you.

*mean face*
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I can lift without them (except for my dead lifts),did for quite awhile til one day while pouring concrete I ripped open a calous...OUCH !! .....so I just wear them...why torture myself. Black nothing fancy.
  • deemo21
    Options
    I use Versa Gripps, they come in pink too if you care. I love them. Did deadlifts today without a problem. I bought mine online. Versagripps.com
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I don't wear gloves, I find they interfere more than anything. If I have issues with grips on pullups or deadlifts I use wrist wraps.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

This is what I used to use. Never had a problem. I just started lifting again, so I'm not having an issue yet. :grumble:

Haha! Like I said in the beginning, I am actually enjoying having a callus issue. :- D

This is why I love MFP. Only place I can go to ***** about things like this and not have people look at me like I'm crazy. :drinker:
  • Jenn264
    Jenn264 Posts: 43
    Options
    Get some G-Loves. They are amazing
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options

I honestly have the same problem.

My trainer agrees that I can lift more than 90kg, my current goal is 100kg, and we think I could do that now if it wasn't for my grip.

We've talked about using straps to help, but I'm stubborn and I don't want to weaken my grip by using an assist.

I asked for advice on the GirlsGoneStrong facebook and they all agreed that doing farmers walks, pull-ups or other grip strengthening exercises is a much better idea.

They said if you want to use straps on just the big lifts then do that, but to train without the gloves or straps to work your grip.

I'm totally not where you are yet. I'm currently only lifting 75% of my body weight (just started deadlifting a coupla weeks ago, but have been squatting for about 2 months). I am also doing assisted pull ups, but they hurt my hands, too!
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options

This is why I love MFP. Only place I can go to ***** about things like this and not have people look at me like I'm crazy. :drinker:

I know. Where else can I brag about my rough hands?! Cheers. ;- )
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves, because it helps with my grip and I tend to get sweaty hands (there's no chalk in my gym). I probably look like a complete tool because the only gloves I could find in my size are PINK (gah!), but who cares? I'm not putting plates on the bar to impress other people.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Gloves!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No one else finds it odd that people say that gloves impact the integrity of the lifts but in the next sentence they suggest using straps? Just me? Oh, never mind then.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    No one else finds it odd that people say that gloves impact the integrity of the lifts but in the next sentence they suggest using straps? Just me? Oh, never mind then.

Who suggested she use straps?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Not sure who you're referring too but yes I did state I use straps at times and not gloves bc MY hands sweat in gloves and it effects MY grip worse because of them and they annoy me. However I never suggested it or said it would be better. Your point?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and get the gloves. I have no problem with callouses... I do pole, and that gives me plenty of callouses. But I wear gloves for lifting to protect my hands anyway. I have the Gold's Gym brand, nothing fancy.

I actually found the weights do weird things to my pole callouses--like I need gloves to protect my callouses. Sounds crazy, I know.