Who can make me like fresh mushrooms? :]

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
So, this is my challenge for you! I need someone who can make me like fresh mushrooms. I LOVE mushrooms, the canned, over salty, deliciously processed, mushrooms. I can eat the entire can and then some by itself! I can not stand the nasty dry texture of fresh mushrooms for some reason. I have not liked them cooked or uncooked so far, so if some of you can show me a few yummy recipes to help turn me from squishy, salty, moist canned mushrooms to natural, fresh, "delicious????" mushrooms I would really appreciate it. :]

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If you Saute them they end up exactly like the can ones but taste better cause they are fresh.

Cut up the mushrooms real thin, then add oil or butter to a skillet, then add the mushrooms. Make sure you give the mushrooms room and not stack them cause they will end up steamed rather than sauted when they are piled on top of each other. I personally add garlic and salt to taste, if I am making burgers I tend to add onions to the same skillet too.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My mom was just telling me today that you should not get fresh mushrooms wet or they will absorb the water and get rubbery. It sounds like you like them that way though. Maybe try making a marinade for them? There are several restaurants around here that serve mushrooms that taste like they've been soaked in wine. Those are pretty good.

Though personally I don't think there is much that butter and lots of garlic can't cure. Mushrooms are great at soaking up whatever flavor you cook them in.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    If you Saute them they end up exactly like the can ones but taste better cause they are fresh.

Cut up the mushrooms real thin, then add oil or butter to a skillet, then add the mushrooms. Make sure you give the mushrooms room and not stack them cause they will end up steamed rather than sauted when they are piled on top of each other. I personally add garlic and salt to taste, if I am making burgers I tend to add onions to the same skillet too.
    Okey dokey. I would assume when people cooked them before, they just heated them instead of frying them or something else I'd like. :] There are different types though no? So, any idea which ones taste yummy? Lol. I seen these large button tops of mushrooms/caps and I wanted to buy them, but I was scared it would be a waste. I was going to make mushroom "burgers" because I'm a vegetarian and it sounded yummy.
  • StephinWA
    StephinWA Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    vtmoon is right! Saute them....they are so delicious. You need a little fat, and definitely salt, and garlic will throw them over the top. Try to get them a little golden brown, and this will be possible if you don't crowd them (as vtmoon says). Wish I had some right now. And there are always stuffed mushrooms.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Mushroom pizza?
    get the big flat portabellos
    use a damp towel to wipe them clean.
    scrape the gills(dark stuff) out of the inside,
    fill the cavity left after removing the gills with
    pizza sauce, top with 2% cheese,
    broil until cheese is melty and bubbly.
    Super-yummy
  • Verity1111
    Options
    My mom was just telling me today that you should not get fresh mushrooms wet or they will absorb the water and get rubbery. It sounds like you like them that way though. Maybe try making a marinade for them? There are several restaurants around here that serve mushrooms that taste like they've been soaked in wine. Those are pretty good.

Though personally I don't think there is much that butter and lots of garlic can't cure. Mushrooms are great at soaking up whatever flavor you cook them in.
    Really? I didn't know they soak up flavor lol Well I don't know what a marinade is, but I can read about that too Lol. I love butter & garlic, so you two definitely have me intrigued and wanting to try it. :]
  • JlSimon22
    JlSimon22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to hate them too and have found a new love for them. I think that it depends on the kind that you try. Some are more rubbery than others. I love crimini and portabella mushrooms. Fresh they have a nice texture (I am really picky about that!) Start by adding them to things, sauces, salads, etc. Portabella mushrooms are "meatier" and are great with balsamic or baked stuffed with some light goat cheese and breadcrumbs. There are ways to keep them healthy and yummy. If you like spinach they are also really good sautéed with a little olive oil, onions, and spinach for a healthy side. Good luck!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    vtmoon is right! Saute them....they are so delicious. You need a little fat, and definitely salt, and garlic will throw them over the top. Try to get them a little golden brown, and this will be possible if you don't crowd them (as vtmoon says). Wish I had some right now. And there are always stuffed mushrooms.
    Stuffed mushrooms? I would love to know more about that too lol. I don't eat meat, but I could improvise and I loveeee mushrooms with onion & green pepper mixed
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Mushroom pizza?
    Super-yummy
    Wow. That is really unique and cancels out pizza crust. I wonder lol I bet I would love this lots.
    I used to hate them too and have found a new love for them. I think that it depends on the kind that you try. Some are more rubbery than others. I love crimini and portabella mushrooms. Fresh they have a nice texture (I am really picky about that!) Start by adding them to things, sauces, salads, etc. Portabella mushrooms are "meatier" and are great with balsamic or baked stuffed with some light goat cheese and breadcrumbs. There are ways to keep them healthy and yummy. Good luck!

I think I like the rubbery type because I like the squeaky squishy canned ones? Lol. Not sure. I hate hate hate goat cheese, but I could use mozzarella or muenster. I may try that cheese & breadcrumbs although I would need to look up exactly how to do that part.
  • slshaw23
    slshaw23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    OMG fresh mushrooms I put them in everything but here is one for ya get a big portobello mushroom and season it like you would season a burger put it in the oven or toaster oven then eat it like you are eating a burger it is so good a juicy and very filling
  • bobbyrosegr2000
    Options
    You cant go past garlic mushrooms!!!!

Lots and lots of garlic, parsley, chilli and a little butter.

Serve upon bread with cottage cheese as a spread, or ricotta! nommmmm
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    If the fresh ones don't work out for you, I have four words for you, my friend: Trader Joe's marinated mushrooms (available in the glass jar). You may never eat canned mushrooms again. (They're kind of the go-between of canned and fresh). ;)
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Usually people marinade steaks, but I think it could work for mushrooms too. (Warning: I've never actually tried it with mushrooms.)

Get a plastic bag and pour something tasty in it. I've seen people use Italian dressing. Teriyaki is another popular choice. Usually you want an acid like balsamic vinegar, or lime juice, and/or an alcohol like wine or beer or even tequila, in order to get it to really soak in to whatever you're making. Then add a bunch of spices, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, whatever you like. Some people like to add some smoke flavor or steak sauce. You might want to add a little water to make sure there's enough liquid to cover the stuff you're going to soak in it. The mix should be a little on the strong side because what actually gets soaked in will be milder than what you started with.

Put the mushrooms in the bag and let them sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Dump out the juice and cook the mushrooms.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Morel mushrooms are like eating gold. We go hunting for them every year and if we dont find any we buy them. Sauteed, deep fried, stuffed it does not get better than morel mushrooms. Unfortunately they are out of season.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Saute them in a little olive oil or butter and throw some garlic salt in with them. Mmmmm.

Or cook them in an omelet with tomatoes and onions. Yummy!!

Or make portabella mushroom "burgers." Get the big honkin portabellas and slice them the size of a burger patty, fry them, put em on a bun, and you got a burger.

I used to hate fresh mushrooms too until I experimented.
  • dandksmommy
    Options
    I add an 1/8 of tsp of butter to a pan to saute the mushrooms. I add a dash of pepper and garlic salt. Then I add some red wine and let it reduce. YUMMY! So much better than canned. Hope you like.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Mushroom pizza?
    Super-yummy
    Always wanted to try this! Appreciate everyone sharing various ideas on mushrooms, I've mostly only eaten them in stir fry or on my Pita pizza.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I also recommend sauteeing them (I like to use a little butter, garlic powder, salt, pepper, don't overcrowd the pan otherwise they won't brown). Sometimes I'll even have sauteed mushrooms as a side dish, yum!

Another thing that is a favorite of mine is to take a portabella mushroom cap thats about the size of my palm, clean out the gills (the black ribbed part on the inside of the cap, just scrape gently with a spoon) and rub inside and out with a little olive oil. Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder inside and then crack an egg inside the cap. Bake at 425 for 10-15 ish minutes or however done you like your eggs. SO yummy!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Sliced thin they are great in salads. I could eat mushrooms all day, most of my friends think they are nasty. They are so yummy stuffed or sauteed. They are the best when prepped like a burger!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    OMG! CANNED mushrooms! Gak! You don't like fresh, but you like canned? :sick:
    So, enough about ME and MY hang-ups...I don't like them raw, either. Have you tried them sauteed in a little olive oil or butter? Maybe with a little white wine and garlic? Scrumptious! There are some great suggestions here. :drinker: