Traveling to NYC - pick best fast food restaurants for me

Options

Replies

• PeakToValley
    PeakToValley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mexican go to chipolte or Moes both are really yummy

I live in New York City and have never heard of anything called "Moes". No idea what it is or where it is, or why anyone would go there.

As for Chipotle, it is NOT Mexican. It is a thoroughly American restaurant chain, based in Denver, Colorado, which sells large, disgusting things it calls burritos. The meat is all cooked in Chicago and shipped nationwide, where it is assembled into large flour tortillas and sold at exorbitant prices. There is *nothing* Mexican about them except the name.

Hmm...brown rice, pinto or black beans, fajita veggies, grilled marinated chicken (cooked in the restaurant, not in Chicago, the grill is in plain sight -- where did that come from??), fresh tomato salsa, red and green tomatillo salsas, grated jack cheese, shredded lettuce...pretty disgusting I'd say. 630 calories, 21g fat if you skip the big flour tortilla and sour cream. Lots of sodium, of course. But very filling for $6.75 here in Maryland. Not saying it's Mexican, but it is real food and you can do much worse and spend a lot longer doing it. Have you ever been to one?
  • Peaches516
    Peaches516 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I work in NYC but I live outside the city area.

Here is what I would HIGHLY recommend:

Go to W56 st. and 6th ave. and look for the Halal Guys. You will see a line so you can't miss. It's best if you go after drinking.

Go down to Brooklyn and look for Grimaldi's. Ask for a pizza pie. I would go with plain cheese and basil. Trust me.

If you like beer and sliders (small burgers) go down to St. Marks Place and 3rd ave. 33 St Marks Pl. It's called Mark.

I mean I can go on and on...

Totally agree on the Halal guys. They were voted as the #1 street vendor in the city some years ago. The line is usually a 45 minute wait, but you can't really get anything like it outside of NYC.

Grimaldi's was good, but if you're short on time and don't want to go to Brooklyn, there are comparable places in the city. Haven't been to Mark's.

As for Moe's, I've seen it outside of NY, but yeah, it hasn't made it there yet. Chipotle's okay, but I agree with some of the other people - try the places that aren't fast-food chains!
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Go to W56 st. and 6th ave. and look for the Halal Guys. You will see a line so you can't miss. It's best if you go after drinking.

Go down to Brooklyn and look for Grimaldi's. Ask for a pizza pie. I would go with plain cheese and basil. Trust me.

If you like beer and sliders (small burgers) go down to St. Marks Place and 3rd ave. 33 St Marks Pl. It's called Mark.

Totally agree on the Halal guys. They were voted as the #1 street vendor in the city some years ago. The line is usually a 45 minute wait, but you can't really get anything like it outside of NYC.

Grimaldi's was good, but if you're short on time and don't want to go to Brooklyn, there are comparable places in the city. Haven't been to Mark's.

As for Moe's, I've seen it outside of NY, but yeah, it hasn't made it there yet. Chipotle's okay, but I agree with some of the other people - try the places that aren't fast-food chains!

There is not a 45 mins wait at the halal guys. I've never waited more than 15 mins. Unless you go at lunch time. And now they have carts in all 4 corners. People are retarded and don't realize that all 4 are the same. So just go to the one with no line. And if you go, make sure you get the WHITE sauce!
  • strikerjb007
    Options
    I also forgot to mention the food trucks! They are relatively new(a few years) to the city and they are picking up. My favorite are the ones on 4th ave and 9th street (I think, I can't remember if it's 9 street or st. Marks)...

The Mexican truck on 9th ave and W14th st is frikin amazing! I've been to Mexico several times and it's as close as it will get in Manhattan.

If you can't get to Grimaldi's for pizza then any pizza will do, but it won't be brick oven.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Forget all those chains. Hit a nice mom and pops pizza place. I always go to the Pizzeria on the corner of Lefferts and Far Rockaway in Queens. It's not famous or anything but it is what I grew up on delicious.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    New York City- on your own time go to some of the best restaurants and maybe see a show or a museum. Fast food is everywhere. New York City restaurants are only in Manhattan and neighboring vicinity. Enjoy! It's an incredible city!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'd focus on Pizza coming from Spain (as seems to be lots of decent pizza there too), however if I was in NY, I'd definitely be looking for some fast food to indulge in.
    Offers more of a 'taste of the city' than a nice restaurant, which can be found in any big city anywhere in the world to my mind.

Maybe I've been watching a bit too much Man vee food and that new one where some British bloke goes around said 'food trucks' :).
  • strikerjb007
    Options
    Kat'z Deli is another good spot. Pastrami sandwich!!!!

It's on Houston St. and Ludlow. You might have to order two.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Food Carts/Food Trucks.

Don't waste your time with crappy fast food
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I agree with the food trucks...

Some of the best ethnic cuisine would be in Queens.
  • jamaljohar
    Options
    If you come to NY it would be a shame to eat at only fast food chain restaurants! There are hundreds of privately owned food places to eat that are amazing and you cant get anywhere else in America.. Most of the country is filled with fast food chains but NY really does a great job of moving away from that route.

When you get to NY make sure you go to

Mamouns- They have amazing falafel sandwhiches and they are in and out, real quick. HOT SAUCE IS EXTREMELY HOT SO BE CAREFUL IT CAN RUIN YOUR MEAL

Lombardis pizza, they are the first pizzeria in NY and have been ranked #1 in the nation

Katz Deli- get the pastrami ruben... you can thank me later,

Halal cart - specifically go to the cart on 53rd st and 6th avenue they are great, go at night they are a different crew during the
    day. HOT SAUCE IS EXTREMELY HOT, INFACT HOTTEST IVE EVER EATEN CAN EASILY RUIN YOUR MEAL!

Artichoke - pizza made from artichokes... deliciousness

Keens steakhous: chateu breau steak (only if your rolling in cash) $106 per steak (DO NOT GET THE PORTERHOUSE FROM HERE)

Peter Lugar: again only if your rolling in cash GET THE PORTERHOUSE FROM HERE!

GREYS PAPAYA: hot dogs, 2 blocks from mamouns so you can hit up a small falafel sanwhich and get a dog one shot.
  • Peaches516
    Peaches516 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

There is not a 45 mins wait at the halal guys. I've never waited more than 15 mins. Unless you go at lunch time. And now they have carts in all 4 corners. People are retarded and don't realize that all 4 are the same. So just go to the one with no line. And if you go, make sure you get the WHITE sauce!

I used to work right across the street, so I've tasted all of the food carts, and there is a difference in the way the rice tastes. No need to call people retarded.

As for the 45 minute wait - it just depends on the time of day. I stood in line for half an hour a few weeks ago, on a Friday afternoon! And another time, I was waiting in line for 45 minutes at 3am. Lucky you - only had to wait 15 minutes!
  • martintanz
    Options
    So much to choose from.. Stay away from chains, except for maybe a Nathans hot dog.

Other than that, focus on other cheaps eats.

Any non chain pizzeria.
    Bagels and cream cheese.
    Jewish deli, my favorite is pastrami on rye with brown mustard.
    New York style cheese cake.
    Chinese - Go to chinatown and you can't miss, but really, decent chinese food can be found anywhere in NYC.
    A knish from a street vendor
    Indian food in the East Village
    BBQ (used to be on University place, but I see they are now on W. 8th St. now
    http://www.bbq21universityplace.com/) Great cheap eats. Way better than anything you would get at McDonalds or Taco Bell for about the same money.
  • CindyMarie_
    CindyMarie_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Coming to NYC and you want fast food? I highly recommend restaurants, as we know that NYC has some of the best restaurants. I'll give you a few of my favorite fast food places and restaurants:

Fast food:
    Chipotle
    Shake Shack
    Food trucks
    Any pizza place for NY pizza :)
    Diners

Restaurants:
    Havana Central (Cuban)
    Max Brenner (if you're a chocolate lover this place is a must)
    La Mela (Authentic Italian)
    Southern Hospitality (BBQ/Southern)
    Aji Sushi (Sushi/Asian)
    Caliente Cab (Mexican)

I'm from NYC, love my city, enjoy your stay! :wink:
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    NY has the BESSSST pizza ever, I moved from NY to NJ and no where can I find pizza as good.....Brooklyn by far has the best.

So wrong. Chicago does. ;}
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Any grilled salads...watch those dressings. All fast foods are high in sodium, so drink tons of water!! It's not easy to eat good at fast food. I find it easier to go to a restaurant....and have a grilled fish : )

Good luck, and have a safe trip : )
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Gray's Papaya! Best hot dogs EVER.
    It's on the upper west side.

2090 Broadway
    (between 72nd St & 73rd St)
    New York, NY 10023
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    NY has the BESSSST pizza ever, I moved from NY to NJ and no where can I find pizza as good.....Brooklyn by far has the best.

So wrong. Chicago does. ;}
    I beg to differ.

Pizza should be thin with a crisp crust. It is folded and eaten point-first. Any other way is just uncivilized.
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    Gray's Papaya! Best hot dogs EVER.
    It's on the upper west side.

2090 Broadway
    (between 72nd St & 73rd St)
    New York, NY 10023

There is also one down in the village. 402 6th Ave.
  • apatheticLog
    apatheticLog Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    oh HELL no. tho i love chipotle, its not the best. if you want mexican, real mexican with organics, OAXACA. INSANELY GOOD! http://www.oaxacatacos.com/

pizza in manhatts? south brooklyn pizza hands DOWN. east village location...SO GOOD. http://www.southbrooklynpizza.com/

hamburgers? i know its a chain, but Five Guys. http://www.fiveguys.com/

these are all in manhattan. lower manhattan. enjoy! and, yes, this is how i got fat! haha