Poor and fat in the US?

Options

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Meat doesn't need to be the sole source of protein either. There is plenty of protein in non-meat choices like: beans, brown rice, quinoa, lentils, nuts, eggs etc. These are all super cheap, especially if you buy them in bulk (non packaged, use a scoop and weigh it method)

My diet is mostly vegetarian, and I'm getting in nearly 90g of protein a day. My food bill is really low.

EDIT: I live in West Los Angeles (Marina del Rey) Everything is more expensive here, and my bill remains affordable because I don't expect to eat steak and lobster every night. Chickpea curry and brown rice will have to do =P It's about $1.50 per serving.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I can't speak in terms of smaller, rural cities, but I live 30 seconds outside of a pretty well known big city... that is known for being the most crime-ridden, poor city in the US more times than none (depending on what "list" or survey you're looking at).

Big cities have a bigger ethnic makeup; with a bigger ethnic makeup comes ethnic markets. Nothing, NOTHING beats the prices of a farmers market or an ethnic market. Ethnic markets are open all year with ridiculously cheap prices on produce, meats, etc. This city is well known for having ****ty public transportation... but it still has public transportation. No one doesn't have a car here (I'm giving you all hints on this city!).

Granted, I live in the stretch of super drought stricken states, so certain items HAVE gotten more expensive. But the almost $6 I saw for a pound of apples at a supermarket was much more expensive than the $3 for a pound I saw at the produce market I always go to.

Since most of this is produce related... if you want cheap protein, you will not find tofu cheaper than at an Asian market.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I can't speak in terms of smaller, rural cities, but I live 30 seconds outside of a pretty well known big city... that is known for being the most crime-ridden, poor city in the US more times than none (depending on what "list" or survey you're looking at).

Big cities have a bigger ethnic makeup; with a bigger ethnic makeup comes ethnic markets. Nothing, NOTHING beats the prices of a farmers market or an ethnic market. Ethnic markets are open all year with ridiculously cheap prices on produce, meats, etc. This city is well known for having ****ty public transportation... but it still has public transportation. No one doesn't have a car here (I'm giving you all hints on this city!).

Granted, I live in the stretch of super drought stricken states, so certain items HAVE gotten more expensive. But the almost $6 I saw for a pound of apples at a supermarket was much more expensive than the $3 for a pound I saw at the produce market I always go to.

Since most of this is produce related... if you want cheap protein, you will not find tofu cheaper than at an Asian market.

I can make an educated guess as to the location of said city. Agree about the Asian markets too. I buy huge bags of brown rice, and super cheap tofu.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/05/opinion/granderson-poverty-health/index.html

Are there anybody on here that is in this situation?! My friend is looking to becoming more healthy, and has agreed to start insanity.
    Unfortunatly he comes from a poor family, and I dont live in the U.S, so I dont know anything about the food over there!

Do any of you know of good cheap food? That you can eat while working out? Food with proteins for when you are done! Etc etc..

Help? This is incredibly frustrating..
    :cry:

It doesn't matter when you eat (before/during/after) workouts. Most the stuff about food timing in a myth. It's personal preference and mindset. I used to think I HAD to eat before I worked out or I would wilt, die, whatever. Now I don't eat and I head straight to the gym and workout and wait an hour to eat. I'm strong as ever. Does not matter. But until recently I said I couldn't do it. It was all mindset and adjustment.

I don't know what it's like to live in a big city and the cost of food there. I'm used to being near local farms. Looks like there are some good ideas from others here on protein sources that are not too expensive.

Best of luck to you! -Bobbie
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    @gregcharland: (Since the quote button is not working) I'm in suburban Manhattan, just outside of in NJ. When I lived in Manhattan though, groceries were 25-35% higher. It actually was about the same price to eat at local restaurants as to cook for myself as one person in Manhattan.

When I moved to the burbs, I literally danced through the aisles of the store as everything seemed so cheap! LOL

When I lived in upstate NY, I figure out that driving south 20 minutes saved me 20% on groceries. Same grocery chain, but worse neighborhood, so it was all cheaper.

And when I lived in Cambridge, going over the bridge to Allston also proved advantageous in prices. If you have a "less desirable" area near you, shop there. Always cheaper, even in the same grocery chain.

I have seen this too in Manhattan, Chicago, San Francisco and other big cities or college towns but as I just showed in my post chicken breasts can be purchased for $1.77 a lb. in the Detroit suburbs. Now I wonder about the rest of the country.

Again, here is the link http://findnsave.detroitnews.com/Circulars/1000514/Hillers-Markets/22633-v73424
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Absolutely time consuming. I do think even 10 minutes a day on a local blog can save you 25% on your bill because a good one will lay out the BEST deals that week by deal or store or both so you don't have to look over ads a ton. If you have an older kid you can teach them to do it...my daugther learned by watching me over the years but I could have taught her faster :)

Do you have any links for local Phoenix (west sider here) blogs? I'd be interested in checking them out.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options

I think we might be near the same major city.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    If anyone has access to HBO on Demand check out the 4 part documentary series "Weight of the Nation" It is very informative, insightful and talks about a lot of what I am reading here. Really good documentary and made me think a lot about what/how I am eating.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I think we might be near the same major city.

Haha, yes, I saw your earlier post. You'd be correct ;)
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Absolutely time consuming. I do think even 10 minutes a day on a local blog can save you 25% on your bill because a good one will lay out the BEST deals that week by deal or store or both so you don't have to look over ads a ton. If you have an older kid you can teach them to do it...my daugther learned by watching me over the years but I could have taught her faster :)

Do you have any links for local Phoenix (west sider here) blogs? I'd be interested in checking them out.

I don't know what 'west' side is...I'm in ahwatukee (southwest) and if you go to www.the centsableshoppin. com (no spaces) you'll get some great deals listed there, HOWEVER, I would add that I suppliment her add with my own Sprouts research as I prefer not to go to Food City or Pro's Ranch (too far and too dangerous alone). Sheryl covers CVS and Walgreens (absolute musts...) Fry's, Safeway, Target, WalMart, Basha's etc. and there are links so you can learn general strategy as at first glance it can be overwhelming. You can start there as the ads should be similar to west phoenix, with the biggest difference being that unmarked deals varry from store to store.
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I see this with my mother everyday. It hurts to see it too. We live in a town 45 minutes from the nearest grocery store. We have Dollar General stores and one general store, not even really any convenience stores. My mother buys 99% of her food at the dollar store. Boxed crap, all of it. Boxed crap and liquid calories. She wants to lose weight, and I try to tell her to keep track of calories and sometimes I think she gets it, but as soon as she steps into the store I see her buy all this crap. What do I do? If i point it out, she gets pissed off. Its a no win situation. If I had money I could buy her food for her, but I'm a college student and my boyfriend's parents buy ALL of our stuff as my boyfriend has been laid off from work for a while (we both work seasonal jobs in a greenhouse but I'm there year round since she keeps me weekends only on the off season).

I don't think it's a money issue necessarily. I am far more poor than my mother and I do not eat boxed crap at all. I realize that produce and dried beans and even fresh meat are both more cost effective RIGHT now but also in medical costs down the road. The difference is that I'm a college student going to school 45 minutes away 4 times a week and can get groceries with my boyfriend's parents money. Certainly not ideal for anyone, but I truly worry about my mother. She is obese and eats all this crap. *sigh*

Food deserts definitely exist. I've grown up in one. And whats really weird, 40 years ago everyone grew their own food here. Now that we don't have time to grow (or the skills, I guess) we have nothing.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    I see this with my mother everyday. It hurts to see it too. We live in a town 45 minutes from the nearest grocery store. We have Dollar General stores and one general store, not even really any convenience stores. My mother buys 99% of her food at the dollar store. Boxed crap, all of it. Boxed crap and liquid calories. She wants to lose weight, and I try to tell her to keep track of calories and sometimes I think she gets it, but as soon as she steps into the store I see her buy all this crap. What do I do? If i point it out, she gets pissed off. Its a no win situation. If I had money I could buy her food for her, but I'm a college student and my boyfriend's parents buy ALL of our stuff as my boyfriend has been laid off from work for a while (we both work seasonal jobs in a greenhouse but I'm there year round since she keeps me weekends only on the off season).

I don't think it's a money issue necessarily. I am far more poor than my mother and I do not eat boxed crap at all. I realize that produce and dried beans and even fresh meat are both more cost effective RIGHT now but also in medical costs down the road. The difference is that I'm a college student going to school 45 minutes away 4 times a week and can get groceries with my boyfriend's parents money. Certainly not ideal for anyone, but I truly worry about my mother. She is obese and eats all this crap. *sigh*

Well if she really truely wants to lsoe the weight ask her to give u money and you can shop for her when u get groceries.
  • Advaya
    Options
    Well if she really truely wants to lsoe the weight ask her to give u money and you can shop for her when u get groceries.

That's another thing though... even though she has more money than I do, she is in very severe debt and rarely can afford a lot of groceries at once. That is part of why she buys things at the dollar store... she doesn't seem to understand that spending more at once is the same as small purchases everyday. She also has no idea how to cook, or the desire to cook. When she does its like pot roast in the crockpot. I need to make more meals for us to eat together (I live 5 minutes away), but we don't like the same foods all that much.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    What basic dish have peasants loved the world over, forever? Stew*. Makes a little meat go a long way. You can go all in with legumes, etc. And, delicious.

*Or, curry, whatever you want to call it. Little bits of meat with mostly other stuff. Stir-fry = same deal.
  • Audiejude
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal is a great breakfast and it's cheap even at small town health food store.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
  • mariettel7
    Options
    I know for myself that I don't just buy food with my food budget. Household items, pet stuff, hairspray/makeup, and even the occasional work shirt will fall into the food budget category. As a student and low income worker, the food budget is the only place where my money is flexible. There is nowhere left to cut. And yes, I have to have the internet since I'm a student and I'm starting my own business. I usually only spend $50-60 a week for two people and not just for our food. It doesn't leave a whole lot of room for meat. Here ground beef is $8 or more a pound and that's at the cheap store in town. Let's just say, I eat beans for 1/2 the week or more. This may be why some of the poor are having a hard time. They aren't using their food budgets just for food. It's all their supplies too. Just a thought.
  • Advaya
    Options
    I know for myself that I don't just buy food with my food budget. Household items, pet stuff, hairspray/makeup, and even the occasional work shirt will fall into the food budget category. As a student and low income worker, the food budget is the only place where my money is flexible. There is nowhere left to cut. And yes, I have to have the internet since I'm a student and I'm starting my own business. I usually only spend $50-60 a week for two people and not just for our food. It doesn't leave a whole lot of room for meat. Here ground beef is $8 or more a pound and that's at the cheap store in town. Let's just say, I eat beans for 1/2 the week or more. This may be why some of the poor are having a hard time. They aren't using their food budgets just for food. It's all their supplies too. Just a thought.

Very good point.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options

That's another thing though... even though she has more money than I do, she is in very severe debt and rarely can afford a lot of groceries at once. That is part of why she buys things at the dollar store... she doesn't seem to understand that spending more at once is the same as small purchases everyday. She also has no idea how to cook, or the desire to cook. When she does its like pot roast in the crockpot. I need to make more meals for us to eat together (I live 5 minutes away), but we don't like the same foods all that much.

Sounds like you've given her all the information you can and need to not take the burdon on yourself if she's not willing to accept the help and facts. I know allllll about being in debt, it is hard to save and budget ahead.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options

Very good point.

Exactly, a budget problem :) If she really is trying to get out of debt send her on to Dave Ramsey's website to create a budget and plan to get out of the mess. It works. If she needs to budget for clothes budget for clothes, fi she needs to budget for food budget for food...if there's not enough for both I think we all know which one has to wait.