Loved the MOVIE hated the BOOK

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Lord of the Rings

* only coz i kept falling asleep while reading*

I'm with you on that. The books drag on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on..

Wow! Just ripping on the best trilogy in modern literature. Just wow!
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Anal Angels 12.

some of that stuff just doesnt translate well on paper...

If you read the first 7 volumes they aren't bad, they changed story lines though and it grew tiresome. You could try something in the Blumpkin series.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    how about The Lorax. dumb movie ok book. also, the indian in the cupboard...any of the old ppl on here remeber this book lol how about James and the giant peach? that one actually wasnt too bad.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Starship Troopers. I thought the book was a snore, but loved the movie.
    [/quote

Yep, me too.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Pet Cemetary
    Take it back!!!

Or at least spell it correctly.

Pet Sematery was fabulous as a book, as are all of Stephen's books. They can't do justice to his writing on a movie screen...

Amen! The only films that have even had a chance of being as good as the written version are those made from his novellas or short stories. His novels are far too detailed and fine-drawn to be cut to under 2 hrs. (FYI - for whatever reason, the scene where the boy's shoe is on the road just sticks in my head... way too much!)
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The Devil Wears Prada. I liked LOOKING at the clothes rather than imagining them. And I love Meryl Streep.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options

I love them both but for different reasons! I agree with The Lord of the Rings, except I wandered off during the movies. But the books, oh my goodness, if I ever saw a hobbit I would kill it just in case it started sodding singing!

The Bourne films are the only movies I have ever fallen asleep during. Sad, but true!
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I liked the movie "Water for Elephants" better than the book. I like how the movie streamlined the story of Jacob as an old man and didn't keep flashing between him in the past and him in present like the book did.

OMG...I can't even think to watch the movie because I loved the book so much. I was afraid that I would hate the movie, adn it would wreck my feelings about the book!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Pet Cemetary
    Take it back!!!

Pet Sematery was fabulous as a book, as are all of Stephen's books. They can't do justice to his writing on a movie screen...

Except for Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile...those 2 were GOOD movie adaptations, for a change!

I ♥ SK

That is correct! Also, please see: the original Shining with Jack Nicholson......

See also, Stand By Me
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Lord of the Rings - Loved the movie but didn't even make it through the first book. It's a really hard read in that it's really, really detailed. Basically, the author loved to go on and on and the language is written in an odd way so it feels heavy. I like the movies better. I feel for the guys who wrote the script though as they had to have actually read the novel to pull it off.
  • BSchoberg
    Options

Wait, what? That piece of crap movie was actually based on a book? It was unwatchable... for me.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Pet Cemetary
    Take it back!!!

#truth! I've hated every Stephen King movie that I've seen but LOVE his books!

I likes Night Flyer...but then, that was a short story...so it was easier to adapt...
  • nixerific
    nixerific Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    TV show but The Vampire Diaries...I love the show but the books sucked! Lord of the Rings is a good one.

Me too! I tried to read the books, but they were just horrible. The show I can't stop watching though.
  • hottbutch
    Options
    The Notebook, I hated the girl in the book.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    A beautiful mind
  • BSchoberg
    Options
    Pet Cemetary
    Take it back!!!

Except for Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile...those 2 were GOOD movie adaptations, for a change!

I ♥ SK

That is correct! Also, please see: the original Shining with Jack Nicholson......

See also, Stand By Me

... what I said! Those were all shorts! (except Shining, which is kind of a push)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Wait, what? That piece of crap movie was actually based on a book? It was unwatchable... for me.

That movie is so cheesy. It isn't a good movie.... but a FUN movie. It never gets old.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    The closest I can come was Interview with the Vampire. The book had a lot of boring parts and it was hard imagining what the author was really talking about, but the movie really brought everything to life and I liked the ending to the movie better.

^^ This. Too bad they did such an AWFUL job with Queen of the Damned which was actually a good book.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I liked the movie "Water for Elephants" better than the book. I like how the movie streamlined the story of Jacob as an old man and didn't keep flashing between him in the past and him in present like the book did.

OMG...I can't even think to watch the movie because I loved the book so much. I was afraid that I would hate the movie, adn it would wreck my feelings about the book!
    I loved the book also and they did a really good job with the movie. Check it out!
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Intensity - Dean Koontz

I loved the book and read it late at night. Then, I could barely sleep. They made it into a 2 part "Mini-Series TV Movie". It lost quite a bit in the translation, for me.

ETA: Ok, my reading comprehension sucks. haha I read the thread title wrong.