Loved the MOVIE hated the BOOK

Options

Replies

• tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Well, a lot of times, if you watch the movie it is hard to read the book and if you read the book first, you won't like the movie. This is because so many differ from book to screen. Personally, if I read the book then I am probably not going to watch the movie. The whole time I am like, "Hey, that's not how it happened in the book!" and it just frustrates me.

An example of a book/movie that is close but that I hated the MOVIE (Yes, I know I am backwards on the subject) is Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". That is my all time favorite book and even though I knew better, I anticipated the release of that movie for over two years! While watching it, I understood everything that was going on. My husband on the other hand was like, "HUH?????" The book is based so much on thought that you just can't capture that in a movie. It was awful!

:frown:
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Can't say as *hated* the books, but instances where I think the movie is better:

Princess Bride (you cannot beat this movie!)
    Color Purple
    Dolores Claiborne
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    Sleepers
    The Green Mile

Only instance I can think of where I read a book of a film and hated the book was The General's Daughter. Movie wasn't great either, but at least it was less than 2 hrs long. After reading the book, I wanted those 2 afternoons back!

Obviously, we can all think of more examples the other way - loved book, didn't like movie. (Mine would include girl, interrupted; Legend of Bagger Vance; Virgin Suicides; Queen of the Damned... could go on and on)
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The Notebook, I hated the girl in the book.

thought it was just me lol, also hate Forrest Gump
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Starship Troopers. I thought the book was a snore, but loved the movie.

Wait, what? That piece of crap movie was actually based on a book? It was unwatchable... for me.

Right let's sort this out once and for all, outside now!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Lord of the Rings - Loved the movie but didn't even make it through the first book. It's a really hard read in that it's really, really detailed. Basically, the author loved to go on and on and the language is written in an odd way so it feels heavy. I like the movies better. I feel for the guys who wrote the script though as they had to have actually read the novel to pull it off.

Totally agree! I said this in the other thread. I love the movies and the story but the books just dragged on way too much for me.
  • TigvaDraga
    TigvaDraga Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Loved Hunger Games the Movie, pretty much hated the entire book series, hopefully the other two movies will be good!

HATED Twilight movies, LOVED Twilight book series...still going to see the last one in November.

Loved Water for Elephants Movie, wasn't crazy for the book.

LOVED the movie "It" couldn't even get through 5 chapters of the book.

Hated any Cronical's of Narnia movie or remake of any movie edition, LOVED the books.

that's all I got right now...
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Lord of the Rings

* only coz i kept falling asleep while reading*

I'm with you on that. The books drag on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on..

Wow! Just ripping on the best trilogy in modern literature. Just wow!

Hmmm
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, yes?
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I just overheard a conversation that my colleagues were having about the Bourne Identity books, apparently the word "hiyaaa" (whilst doing a combat move) crops up in the book lol.

Having said that i didn't love the movie, thought it was fairly mediocre, so I have failed.

I hate 50 shades of grey just out of principle (although never read it, but I haven't read mein kampf either) maybe they'll make a spoof out of it so that might count?

Edit: to be fair I've never really read a book I've hated, takes far too much commitment, however I have been forced to sit through some movie dross from a (socially) unescapable cinema.
  • gottaTuscany
    gottaTuscany Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Loved the movies but having a horrible time getting through the books. Got through The Hobbit (coming out soon) and The Fellowship of the Ring. I am stuck in Two Towers....Tolkien is really dry. But brilliant.
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Pet Cemetary
    Take it back!!!

Or at least spell it correctly.

Pet Sematery was fabulous as a book, as are all of Stephen's books. They can't do justice to his writing on a movie screen...

#truth! I've hated every Stephen King movie that I've seen but LOVE his books!

Really, I loved Misery the Movie, but the book seemed to drag on.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I liked The Horse Whisperer movie better than the book.
    i was not wild about either.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Lord of the Rings

* only coz i kept falling asleep while reading*

I'm with you on that. The books drag on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on..

Wow! Just ripping on the best trilogy in modern literature. Just wow!

Hmmm
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, yes?

Dont get me wrong, I'm a voracious reader....i did finish the books...but by the end of it....i think i became Gandalf the WhiteHaired.
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    #truth! I've hated every Stephen King movie that I've seen but LOVE his books!

Really? Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, Hearts in Atlantis, Needful Things...? Say it isn't so...
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I didn't "hate" the book, but I did find that the movie "The Time Travelers Wife" was smoother than the book. I am a very avid reader, and I found I had to read parts of the book over again to be sure I understood what was happening...
  • Mom2QJandT
    Mom2QJandT Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Another tv show... The Vampire Diaries. The show is pretty good, the books are CRAP. In the books, Elena is a whiny, empty headed twit... In the show, she isn't the epitome of depth and volume, but at least she has some inner strength and a fairly large intellect.

I totally agree with this one!
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Games movie was better than the book, and it's not that I hated the book. I just thought the movie was a bit better, since I'm not a huge fan of the series.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The Notebook
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I am usually a "the book is always better" kinda girl...but when if comes to the book/movie for Water for Elephants I changed my tune. I ADORE the movie but cant stand the book.
  • TinaCleg
    Options
    I loved the ending in the movie for " Dear John." The ending in the book was not what I wanted to happen !
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Another tv show... The Vampire Diaries. The show is pretty good, the books are CRAP. In the books, Elena is a whiny, empty headed twit... In the show, she isn't the epitome of depth and volume, but at least she has some inner strength and a fairly large intellect.

I totally agree with this one!

I agree! I only got through the first chapter of book 1.