squat form off in gym..say anything?

Options
ndj1979
ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
I noticed this kid at the gym - well I say kid he was probably college age or maybe just getting out of high school - and he was doing squats but his form was kind of jacked becuase he was looking down...I wanted to say something but decided not to ...what do you all think? Should I have mentioned something...I mean I would want to know if my form was not good...ehhhh

Replies

• Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    absolutely, bad form can result in an injury and it is always best to help avoid that.

Now the the trick is not to come off like a Cheney, but instead as helpful. If you are still to shy to give a straight talk, lead by example. Get in front of the line for the squat ahead of him and then try his form and then fall to the ground, have the bar crush the back of your neck and then get hauled off to the hospital. As they are wheeling you out, stop the paramedics and motion the kid close, whisper in his ear; "There is another Skywalker"...no wait, whisper: "Don't do what I did, keep looking straight ahead, back straigh, spine at its natural curve" *stop here to spit up some blood* "and lift through your legs and gluts" and then pass out.

He'll get the message.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    For kids, I almost always will. For adults, only if imminent danger is ahead, or if it's a friend or someone who knows I know what I'm talking about.

I usually ask, "has anyone coached you on that lift?" That usually works.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    How was the bar placed on his back? perfectly ok to look down on a low bar squat...

exhibit A from the cover of Mark Rippetoe's book:
    image005.jpg
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I never do although the thing i see people doing poorly usually is preacher curls lol. I did help one kid out one time because we had already talked some\spotted each other on bench and he was rounding his back and lifting with his back doing deadlifts.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Looking down like, trying to see his belly button, or looking down as in-- neutral neck?
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    i dont know about others, but I always hope to god that if i'm doing something wrong someone will come and correct me!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I don't know either. This morning I saw a guy whose whole routine was off - all of his lifts had too small a range of motion and he was lifting lighter than I do and was still all sloppy. But he wasn't doing anything really *dangerous* so I didn't say anything. (Also, he kept standing between me and the mirror, which is why I noticed at all, but that's a different issue, nobody ever herniated a disc from rudeness.)

I think the rule of thumb should be "say something if you think they're going to hurt themselves" but I never know how to bring it up.
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i dont know about others, but I always hope to god that if i'm doing something wrong someone will come and correct me!

^ this.... x10000000
  • gts175
    gts175 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just say, "hey, I've been doing this a while and if I saw something in your form that could cause an injury, would you mind if I pointed it out?"
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No. Don't be that guy, please.

My headphones were on but my ipod died at the gym the other day. I was doing squats next to these *kitten* im tough **** guys. I am squating as low as possible, with proper form, but the squat rack is really tall, right? I am like 1 centimeter from racking the weight on the rack with every single squat.... One of them said "Wow, she's lifting too much." "huh? no she's not" "yeah, she has to be.... she isn't squating deep enough"

Let me tell you this pissed me off beyond all EFFING BELIEF.

Don't be that guy. Rule of thumb? Unless they are going to injure themselves in the next few reps/minutes mind your own business. :)
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    I started mine with "I usually don't ever say *kitten* to anyone, but you're going to fckin hurt yourself"
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I would hope if someone saw me doing something wrong they would let me know. But... every time I'm at the gym, when the weight area I get looks - OMGs the looks. I don't know which way to take them - are they shocked I'm there, am I doing something wrong, ect.

So as I said, I would hope if I was grossly doming wrong, someone would speak up and let me know. I sure as hell don't want to get hurt because I had a lack of understanding/knowledge.
  • FullOfWin
    Options

My headphones were on but my ipod died at the gym the other day. I was doing squats next to these *kitten* im tough **** guys. I am squating as low as possible, with proper form, but the squat rack is really tall, right? I am like 1 centimeter from racking the weight on the rack with every single squat.... One of them said "Wow, she's lifting too much." "huh? no she's not" "yeah, she has to be.... she isn't squating deep enough"

Don't be that guy. Rule of thumb? Unless they are going to injure themselves in the next few reps/minutes mind your own business. :)

talking about someone is not the same as talking directly to them to help them avoid injury
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

talking about someone is not the same as talking directly to them to help them avoid injury

Did he say "they were about to injure themselves"? No. Don't say anything to anyone unless they are going to injure themselves. It's not your business. If i see women doing the ****tiest form of crunches ever am i going to run over to them and instruct them otherwise? No. It's not my business.

You go to the gym for YOU, not to be everyone personal trainer. If they are going to HURT themselves, then i can understand.
  • RopenChoke
    RopenChoke Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I usually appreciate advice in the gym although I rarely give it. Just not my style. I would say it's all about the delivery. Just don't come off as a D-bag. Don't take up 30 minutes of my life but a quick correction is cool.
  • FullOfWin
    Options

Did he say "they were about to injure themselves"? No. Don't say anything to anyone unless they are going to injure themselves. It's not your business. If i see women doing the ****tiest form of crunches ever am i going to run over to them and instruct them otherwise? No. It's not my business.

You go to the gym for YOU, not to be everyone personal trainer. If they are going to HURT themselves, then i can understand.

He asked if he should speak directly to the trainee because their squat form was bad which reading between the lines means they might hurt themselves. Clearly not the same as a couple dbags talking about you amongst themselves.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I don't comment on anyone's form unless they ask me to. If you don't know the person, you don't know what their goals are, if they are working around an injury, trying to break a sticking point, etc.

I don't really want comments on my workout from people who don't know these things about me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    How was the bar placed on his back? perfectly ok to look down on a low bar squat...

exhibit A from the cover of Mark Rippetoe's book:
    image005.jpg

I don't remember how the bar was placed on his back...

I am not exactly sur I am the form king when it comes to squats lol..but everything i have read onthe subject seems to say that eyes should be forward to slightly about eye level to keep oyur back as straight as possible and keep knees from coming over toes..is this not accurate? Probably another reason I should say nothing...lol
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would appreciate the advice from someone else