squat form off in gym..say anything?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Correcting people's form in the gym is about as futile as sitting at burger king and handing out vegetarian pamphlets.I see so many bad squats, I'm more surprised when I see a proper one- I'm much more likely to compliment the person with the good squats. I would only say something if they appear in imminent danger.

It seems like sometimes I am the only one in my gym even doing squats or deads....weird I just realized that ..lol
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I noticed this kid at the gym - well I say kid he was probably college age or maybe just getting out of high school - and he was doing squats but his form was kind of jacked becuase he was looking down...I wanted to say something but decided not to ...what do you all think? Should I have mentioned something...I mean I would want to know if my form was not good...ehhhh

Please don't. He didn't ask you for your advice. Just ignore him.

When I first started lifting, I knew I was doing some things wrong but was working with just the bar for a while to try to get my form down. I had people coming up to me almost every single day telling me that I was "doing it wrong" instead of leaving me alone to work on it myself and improve. It was obnoxious and annoying. There is nothing more offputting than someone who feels like they need to "correct" your form when you didn't ask them for help.

Among the people that tried to "help" me was a girl who told me to just "give it up" because I was "too fat to squat right." Another one told me there was no such thing as a lowbar squat. Not everyone offering advice is right either.

Some people know they're not doing it right and are there to improve. Don't assume they just "don't know."
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    For kids, I almost always will. For adults, only if imminent danger is ahead, or if it's a friend or someone who knows I know what I'm talking about.

I usually ask, "has anyone coached you on that lift?" That usually works.

this.

i usually wait for the person to be finished with their set and say something like "hey man, do you mind if i give you a tip on what you just did there?"
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I don't comment on anyone's form unless they ask me to. If you don't know the person, you don't know what their goals are, if they are working around an injury, trying to break a sticking point, etc.

I don't really want comments on my workout from people who don't know these things about me.

What about comments on your 'stache?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    i dont know about others, but I always hope to god that if i'm doing something wrong someone will come and correct me!

The problem is that there is at least a 50/50 chance that the person who "corrects" you will also be wrong. A large number of guys who lift weights learn by watching other guys lift weights--they don't have any instruction either. There is no limit to the dopey things that the muscleheads do in our weight area.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you have something to offer, it's just in your the approach. I liked the idea, "Has anybody coached you on that lift?" As long as you come across as wanting to help and not to simply criticize, I don't think you'd be out of line or badly received. Myself, I'm new to the lifting game and am doing the best I can, but sometimes it really helps to have someone to guide you through, especially on those heavy lifts.

If they say, "No thanks." then you're no worse off and you no longer have to wonder if you should have said anything.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Please do. I always appreciate it *massively* when people help me with my form. I think anyone with a bit of common sense appreciates input - especially when you're doing something as potentially dangerous as yanking huge weights about.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    i dont know about others, but I always hope to god that if i'm doing something wrong someone will come and correct me!

The problem is that there is at least a 50/50 chance that the person who "corrects" you will also be wrong. A large number of guys who lift weights learn by watching other guys lift weights--they don't have any instruction either. There is no limit to the dopey things that the muscleheads do in our weight area.
    I agree with this x1000. Lots of people that have terrible form think their form is awesome. Whether you're right or wrong about whatever correction you offer, you're really only as credible as the hulk-bro who thinks it's really important to have your hands virtually touching the weights on the sides.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Wow! That's terrible! Hate the form and there's no excuse for doing that light poundage like it's 495 or something. I guess I need to start putting form videos on YouTube if this is what's passing.

Thanks for posting. Next time someone tells me I a pu$$y for wearing gloves and quotes that funny but pointless Rip quote about gloves and purses, they can kiss my *kitten*. This is the Immortal Lifting God that people worship on this site?

Well the SS book really is good, but as I said earlier, the squats in that video did look rough. A bit too much Good Morning to them.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Well the SS book really is good, but as I said earlier, the squats in that video did look rough. A bit too much Good Morning to them.

yeah theres definitely some good things that can be learned from his book.

I just wouldn't copy his squats.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options

I agree with this x1000. Lots of people that have terrible form think their form is awesome. Whether you're right or wrong about whatever correction you offer, you're really only as credible as the hulk-bro who thinks it's really important to have your hands virtually touching the weights on the sides.
    I vividly remember 15 or so years ago some guy approaching me on the treadmill to tell me that I was doing a good job running fast, but that I should really work on striking with my heels first, not my forefoot, or I was certain to injure myself soon. I'm sure that these days some of the barefoot enthusiasts are approaching the heel strikers now and telling them they're courting disaster.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Say something. The worst that can happen is that your advice is not taken.

I'm 41 years old and have been squatting for all of three months. I read about the form, looked at pictures, watched videos and then started. About three weeks ago, a very polite and (obviously) experienced lifter asked if he could give me some form advice. I was pushing my knees way too far out on the squat and there were some other adjustments.

It helped a great deal and I was very appreciative. He probably saved this old man from a knee injury that would have kept me out of the weight room for some time.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I don't comment on anyone's form unless they ask me to. If you don't know the person, you don't know what their goals are, if they are working around an injury, trying to break a sticking point, etc.

I don't really want comments on my workout from people who don't know these things about me.

I agree with the above.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    No. Don't be that guy, please.

My headphones were on but my ipod died at the gym the other day. I was doing squats next to these *kitten* im tough **** guys. I am squating as low as possible, with proper form, but the squat rack is really tall, right? I am like 1 centimeter from racking the weight on the rack with every single squat.... One of them said "Wow, she's lifting too much." "huh? no she's not" "yeah, she has to be.... she isn't squating deep enough"

Let me tell you this pissed me off beyond all EFFING BELIEF.

Don't be that guy. Rule of thumb? Unless they are going to injure themselves in the next few reps/minutes mind your own business. :)

talking about someone is not the same as talking directly to them to help them avoid injury

Did he say "they were about to injure themselves"? No. Don't say anything to anyone unless they are going to injure themselves. It's not your business. If i see women doing the ****tiest form of crunches ever am i going to run over to them and instruct them otherwise? No. It's not my business.

You go to the gym for YOU, not to be everyone personal trainer. If they are going to HURT themselves, then i can understand.

Wow-chill
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    No! MYOB!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options

This is one of my issues. Another is that as the only girl in the weight room at my gym (9 times out of 10), I'd probably be embarassed. Lastly, I'm new at this so sometimes when my form is off, I know it and my body just isn't cooperating yet. I'd say to say something though...because I'd rather have someone (in a nice or amusing way) tell me my form is off just in case I'm not aware and I could look it up to verify later rather than just going along and hurting myself. I think if you approach them in a decent way, any reasonable person will take your advice or leave it but won't get p*ssed.

ETA: If they don't look like they're about to hurt themselves immediately, wait til they're done so that if they don't want to take your advice, they don't feel like a jerk ignoring your advice while you're right there.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I really don't get all the MYOB folks. Giving advice costs you NOTHING! So what if your advice is ignored - taking the opportunity to be a good Samaritan and save someone from injury is a good thing. Squats, performed incorrectly, can be damaging.

Someone compared this to correcting bad form on crunches - give me a break - night and day and just a silly comparison.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If I were in danger of hurting myself in the weight room, PLEASE, SOMEONE POINT IT OUT (politely).

There is a problem, though. How would I know whether or not this correcting person actually knows what they're talking about?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    If I were in danger of hurting myself in the weight room, PLEASE, SOMEONE POINT IT OUT (politely).

There is a problem, though. How would I know whether or not this correcting person actually knows what they're talking about?

That's why you shouldn't rely on some random person at the gym "correcting" you but rather spend time educating yourself and asking advice from qualified people.