gym etiquette

Options

Replies

• OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like my space too. The only thing that annoys me more, is if they hop on that treadmill and try to talk to me. THAT IS NOT COOL!
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    True story: I was running and a couple got on either side of me. AWESOME song came blaring on my radio and I started to do this run/jump thing... well, I got so excited I sorta piddled. No one runs next to me anymore.

Like they said on Billy Madison: You ain't cool unless you pee your pants.

BillyMadisonLipstick.gif
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i must have written this up wrong or ppl are just not reading it correctly...him beside me was weird bc there were 15 open treadmills he could have use...the gym wasnt crowded...im the lone runner...so he gets beside me...but thats fine to some of you...im not buying that for 1 min

No I get what your saying. I have had this happen to me on a number of occasions as well. Its a personal space issue just like if there is a row of free urinals and someone comes in and goes right next to you even though there is 10 other ones not being used....except not quite as bad.

Although I must ask you..if it was a beautiful woman who did this would you have minded as much lol. :tongue:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Do you own that treadmill?

of course not but you would be okay with that....you would be thinking the exact same thing....cut it out

I would be okay with that.
    They are not running on the treadmill that I am running on, why do I care??

i care b/c he had 15 to choose from... why get next to me...I cannot believe these comment from you ppl...im not buying any of this...........personal space...

So we don't get an opinion on this?
    Because we disagree with you, you can't believe it?

There are much bigger things to worry about then that..

so if i sat beside you in an uncrowded movie that would not bother you? or would you move down 1 seat....same premise

It's not.
    Movie theater seats share an armrest. They actually touch each other.

Treadmills, 1-3 feet apart??
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    i love to creep people out by doing that

Haha yeah I pretty much do it on purpose.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    I have no idea why people do that. Unless it's my gym buddy, I don't WANT to exercise with people next to me. In fact, I'm the opposite, If I am going to have to workout next to someone, I'll find something else to use. The treadmills are SO close together, but the ellipticals offer up more personal space if someone decides they want to exercise next to me.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    i must have written this up wrong or ppl are just not reading it correctly...him beside me was weird bc there were 15 open treadmills he could have use...the gym wasnt crowded...im the lone runner...so he gets beside me...but thats fine to some of you...im not buying that for 1 min

I get it.
    Under the situation you gave, I STILL DON'T CARE.

There are bigger things to worry about then this. It's not like this person was actually on the same treadmill as you.

then stop responding
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I would think it was a little odd, but it wouldn't upset me lol
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

of course not but you would be okay with that....you would be thinking the exact same thing....cut it out

I would be okay with that.
    They are not running on the treadmill that I am running on, why do I care??

i care b/c he had 15 to choose from... why get next to me...I cannot believe these comment from you ppl...im not buying any of this...........personal space...

So we don't get an opinion on this?
    Because we disagree with you, you can't believe it?

There are much bigger things to worry about then that..

so if i sat beside you in an uncrowded movie that would not bother you? or would you move down 1 seat....same premise

I would reach over and start rubbing your thigh and ask if you mind if I buttered my popcorn with your man pump.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    so Im at the gym this afternoon on the treadmill (mine you Im the only person on treadmill row) after abt 30 mins, another person
    decides he wants the treadmill right beside me. Again no other soul on the treadmills. I just wanted to hit stop and ask him...dude really...wth? at least skip a treadmill or something....and he is walking (im not knocking walking) but the pace he was going any other treadmill would have accommodated him just the same. Like going to the movies and someone sits beside you in an uncrowded movie...........unbelievable..............:explode:

maybe he wants to race you
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I like peeing in the urinal directly next to a guy....

You're a peeker.

How else do I find out what they have to offer so non-chalantly?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the real question is why anyone would run on a treadmill when they have a perfectly good outdoors
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Maybe he was hoping you'd chat to him?

Maybe he thought he knew you, then realised he didn't, but didn't want to then move away and look like it was because you smelt bad :).

You don't have TVs at the front there?

At one gym I went to they had 4 TVs at the front of the gym with different channels - I always chose the machine specifically for the best view of the channel I wanted to see.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind as long as they don't smell
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Is it ok that some people just like to have space?

I mean if you were on a flight with one other person. would you want them to sit in the seat next to you? Doesn't require a smart response when someone is just being inconsiderate.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

I get it.
    Under the situation you gave, I STILL DON'T CARE.

There are bigger things to worry about then this. It's not like this person was actually on the same treadmill as you.

then stop responding

No.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    A girl did this to me just today! She went on the treadmill between me and another man when there were like 20 other treadmills to go on!

Normally it would bug me, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt today and assumed she liked that specific style of machine and it was the only one left... hum bug!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    www-brocode-org_1334720111-600x450.jpg
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    so Im at the gym this afternoon on the treadmill (mine you Im the only person on treadmill row) after abt 30 mins, another person
    decides he wants the treadmill right beside me. Again no other soul on the treadmills. I just wanted to hit stop and ask him...dude really...wth? at least skip a treadmill or something....and he is walking (im not knocking walking) but the pace he was going any other treadmill would have accommodated him just the same. Like going to the movies and someone sits beside you in an uncrowded movie...........unbelievable..............:explode:

bro you are confusing treadmill etiquette with urinal etiquette...
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    True story: I was running and a couple got on either side of me. AWESOME song came blaring on my radio and I started to do this run/jump thing... well, I got so excited I sorta piddled. No one runs next to me anymore.

Like they said on Billy Madison: You ain't cool unless you pee your pants.

BillyMadisonLipstick.gif

I dont know if this has happened to anyone else or not but your story reminded me of it. I was running on the treadmill and was watching one of the tv's on the wall which was playing the show "wipeout". Anyway for some reason I got really focused on the guy who was jumping trying to navigate an obstacle and when he made the big jump... out of some kind of weird involuntary reaction I jumped and almost fell on my *kitten* . Luckily I was not seen but wtf?!