gym etiquette

Options

Replies

• morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I would have been annoyed too. I once was the only one in cardio land and this group of yappy girls got right next to me, talking about really personal things that I should not have heard. They were so loud that I could hear them over my music. I also worry that I smell from sweating my butt off and get all paranoid that they are smelling my stinky butt.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had a Sheldon Cooper-esque attachment to one of the treadmills at the gym. It had the best airflow, and was right in front of the ABC tv, so I could watch Ellen. It was at the end of a row, so there was only one possible "neighbor." It was perfect.

Normally, I'd go for a buffer zone on treadmills... like one would do at a urinal... but I'm not going to get upset if someone hops on next to me. And if the options are to use my favorite treadmill next to someone, or use another with more personal space, I'm going to choose my favorite one.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    True story: I was running and a couple got on either side of me. AWESOME song came blaring on my radio and I started to do this run/jump thing... well, I got so excited I sorta piddled. No one runs next to me anymore.

Like they said on Billy Madison: You ain't cool unless you pee your pants.

BillyMadisonLipstick.gif

I dont know if this has happened to anyone else or not but your story reminded me of it. I was running on the treadmill and was watching one of the tv's on the wall which was playing the show "wipeout". Anyway for some reason I got really focused on the guy who was jumping trying to navigate an obstacle and when he made the big jump... out of some kind of weird involuntary reaction I jumped and almost fell on my *kitten* . Luckily I was not seen but wtf?!

I knew where that story was going, and it still made me laugh out loud.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't get too worked up about it, but I do find it odd when that happens to me. What disturbs me more is when I am the only one on the treadmills, no one is on the ellipticals in front of the treadmills, and a dude picks the one right in front of me. That I will never understand.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Oh and yes - in some gyms some machines work a bit differently - for instance one machine may have kph rather than mph.
    With cycles I find they have different resistances if they have a manual lever to set this often.
    Also, they will often store previous workouts on, so he may have been looking to pace himself against a previous one he did on that machine.

Me; I'd have been amused for a second and carried on, unless of course it was a hot girl, in which case I'd have probably still done nothing (maybe try a bit harder), but start beating myself up for not talking to her :P.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    There is only ONE time it has ever bothered me when something like this happened. Normally, I'm at the gym at a busy time. Even if there is room for a stagger, I have my headphones on and who really cares who gets next to me. But this one guy for a week would always, no matter what type of machine, or place in the gym I was, find me and get on the machine next to me. I thought it was coincidence at first but I started doing different machines and he was still there. Hell, it probably still is coincidence and I'm being stuck up. Who knows. It only bothered me because he smelled sooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. Not like it's a gym everyone sweats bad cause god knows I'm no sunshiney flowery angel at the gym. Like gagging bad. I had to move every time because I almost puked. Everyone else in the area moved too so it wasn't just me.
    Otherwise if someone gets ont he machine next to me I get over myself and ignore it. Totally doesn't bother me and I normally have a space issue. The thing is, the next machine over is a few feet over. Maybe they're ocd and always use the same one? You don't know. Get over yourself.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I had a Sheldon Cooper-esque attachment to one of the treadmills at the gym. It had the best airflow, and was right in front of the ABC tv, so I could watch Ellen. It was at the end of a row, so there was only one possible "neighbor." It was perfect.

Normally, I'd go for a buffer zone on treadmills... like one would do at a urinal... but I'm not going to get upset if someone hops on next to me. And if the options are to use my favorite treadmill next to someone, or use another with more personal space, I'm going to choose my favorite one.

Do you have a lot of experience with urinal etiquette? Also, does the same thing go for stalls?
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I had that happen to me when I was on the elliptical. There are 20 of them open and this person picked the one beside me. Yeah annoying. I always pick one a few away from someone.
  • Tyrone_S
    Tyrone_S Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I like to get into an elevator and stand as awkwardly close to the only other person in it as possible.

Also, joining someone in a section of a revolving door gets a funny response.

Love always,
    That dude on the treadmill next to you

I like to get into a crowded elevator and say, "So you're probably all wondering why I've called you here"
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    True story: I was running and a couple got on either side of me. AWESOME song came blaring on my radio and I started to do this run/jump thing... well, I got so excited I sorta piddled. No one runs next to me anymore.

BillyMadisonLipstick.gif

I dont know if this has happened to anyone else or not but your story reminded me of it. I was running on the treadmill and was watching one of the tv's on the wall which was playing the show "wipeout". Anyway for some reason I got really focused on the guy who was jumping trying to navigate an obstacle and when he made the big jump... out of some kind of weird involuntary reaction I jumped and almost fell on my *kitten* . Luckily I was not seen but wtf?!

You should have seen it in person it was a beauty. :laugh:
  • melindacronin
    Options
    I have been incredibly entertained today from all this. Thanks
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    LMAO I do that to people all the time. I find it hilarious! I go out of my way to work out right beside people especially if it looks like they really want to be alone.

^^ ha Me too!! I find it funny esp when you can tell they are like HELL NO dont come by me - give me the shifty eye and I am on the machine right next to ya
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options

BillyMadisonLipstick.gif

me too, except that image keeps replaying in my head... lol... I'm so glad I have my own office
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    so Im at the gym this afternoon on the treadmill (mine you Im the only person on treadmill row) after abt 30 mins, another person
    decides he wants the treadmill right beside me. Again no other soul on the treadmills. I just wanted to hit stop and ask him...dude really...wth? at least skip a treadmill or something....and he is walking (im not knocking walking) but the pace he was going any other treadmill would have accommodated him just the same. Like going to the movies and someone sits beside you in an uncrowded movie...........unbelievable..............:explode:

You KNOW I'm co-dependant!!
    The way you looked at me.:love:
    Told me it was okay to run next to you.
    Now you put me on blast like this!
    It's over!:angry:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    etiquette-seriously-robswtfrant1.jpg
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    as long as they don't smell - I'm good
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    etiquette-seriously-robswtfrant1.jpg

Then say, "Hey, nice watch."
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    so Im at the gym this afternoon on the treadmill (mine you Im the only person on treadmill row) after abt 30 mins, another person
    decides he wants the treadmill right beside me. Again no other soul on the treadmills. I just wanted to hit stop and ask him...dude really...wth? at least skip a treadmill or something....and he is walking (im not knocking walking) but the pace he was going any other treadmill would have accommodated him just the same. Like going to the movies and someone sits beside you in an uncrowded movie...........unbelievable..............:explode:

So he was walking and you were running?

Congratulations! Sounds like you won the race (that you probably didn't even realize you were in)...

...unless he walked for a greater distance than you ran, so perhaps you didn't actually win.

Did he grunt excessively? Perhaps have strong BO or too much perfume? Was he wearing makeup? Did he try to engage you in conversation? Perhaps spend too much time nude in the locker room? (Just trying to cover other common gym etiquette items.)
  • bugsymalone521
    Options
    I'm less concerned about someone using a treadmill next to me as I am someone "claiming" two (or more) machines at once, or someone that takes extended breaks on the machines with their faces buried in their phones and/or talking to others. Others need to use the machines too. Use the machine or get off.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    When he jumps on the treadmill with you start complaining :angry: