New to the adult ADD/ADHD club. Members only

Options
ChapinaGrande
ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
Hi! I looked in the forums and found a lot of information from members about their children's ADD/ADHD, but I didn't see a lot devoted to adult experiences. I was diagnosed with ADHD, inattentive type this week and I'm a little overwhelmed. The diagnosis fits like a glove--the expensive leather kind that even has a little extra room for your wedding ring and also smells a little like leather, but not so much that it makes you feel like a Neanderthal--and it explains a lot of things in my life. On the other hand, I'm not quite sure what to do next. I am getting behavioral coaching to learn how to function better in every day life, but that starts next week. I'd really like to hear your adult ADD/ADHD stories and experiences, if you are willing to share. In particular, I'm interested in hearing your experience with meds. I'm still undecided if that's a route I want to take. I'm also interested in hearing the relationship between your weight issues and your disorder. In order to keep my mind clear, I eat delicious things. They are my hyperfocus and I'm a freaking amazing cook. As a result, I am obese and having a hard time with impulsive eating and losing weight. I've also heard that meds can be an appetite suppressant, but maybe in a dangerous way.

Please don't turn this into a judgement-type thread as some ADD/ADHD forums can become. It tires me. I do, however, welcome amusing photos and cartoons relating to ADHD. I am just looking for support, ideas about what can come next for me, a chuckle or two, and personal experiences from other people with this disorder. Perhaps I can find new homies as well. Represent!

Replies

• CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    *waves* I have not been officially diagnosed, yet. But it was brought to my attention that a diagnosis will be forthcoming while we were dealing with my son's issues - he was diagnosed about a month ago.
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have had it since I was a child and still have it and I am 33. Anything you want to know?
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Hey! I have ADD. I was diagnosed when I was 24 years old. It can be a horrible blow when you are diagnosed, but at the same time its like a lightbulb goes off and you get a huge sense of relief too. I'm on quite a high dose of Ritalin and it hasn't affected my appetite at all. My sister, on the other hand, got down to a size 0 from her Ritalin, so I think everybody is different. In my personal experience, I've tried life on the meds and life off the meds and for me, if I'm not on the meds, I can't function at all. The first time I took a stimulant medicine, it was like a miracle happened in me. I can't even explain it. It was like a veil had been lifted off my brain. I felt "normal" for the first time ever. I've tried and experimented with different medicines over the years and different dosages and tried taking "medication holidays" and I think I have finally found what works for me. Don't be afraid to try different things until you find what works for you. And don't be afraid to speak up to the doctor about how you are feeling. Don't be afraid to switch doctors if you feel uncomfortable. You need to learn to become your own advocate. That's my advice to you. It can seem daunting and overwhelming at first, but you can also look at it as an adventure as well. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am curious, because I haven't been diagnosed, yet. What is the procedure for diagnosis? Also, what tipped you off to the fact that you might be ADD/ADHD?
  • ChapinaGrande
    Options
    I am curious, because I haven't been diagnosed, yet. What is the procedure for diagnosis? Also, what tipped you off to the fact that you might be ADD/ADHD?

Well, I had noticed throughout childhood up to early adulthood that it seemed everything was more difficult for me than it was for others. For example, I couldn't finish doing the dishes, I couldn't pay my bills on time even though I had the money, I couldn't keep a boyfriend and they always had the same complaints about me, and I just felt like I didn't fit in anywhere. It came to a head this spring when I got married and my sweet husband was getting so frustrated with me because I would leave my keys in the front door or accidentally catch the coffee pot on fire, etc. Besides that, I was having trouble holding up my end of the marriage bargain. I was incapable of keeping up with housework, my daughter, AND my job. I don't mean that it was hard, I mean that critical things were being neglected. I kept forgetting to take my antidepressants and it made me sick, dizzy, and suicidal. I brought it up to my counselor who I'd been seeing for depression and anxiety and she gently brought up a connection between my frustrations and ADD. She referred me to a testing psychologist. After the first round of tests, she diagnosed me as "pretty severe" as in 93rd percentile. I'm still not done testing, but just this first step has been such a relief! I'm not lazy, stupid, or limited like my exes made me believe I was! Yay!

ETA: Good luck with your diagnosis. I hope you can find the right answers for your life. Friend me if you like. We can learn how to get our acts together...together. :)
  • ChapinaGrande
    Options
    I have had it since I was a child and still have it and I am 33. Anything you want to know?

I notice that you have three kids. I have a sweet five-year-old daughter. I'd like to have another baby, but I'm very concerned with being able to balance my regular daily like (which I already feel overwhelmed with) with a very demanding new family member. Do you have any wise words?
  • Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I hated ritalin and there was some other med I tried and didn't like it either. I don't know what was going on with me or my appitite but there was something weird. I think I was hungry but couldn't eat and I tried to make my self eat but that wasn't going well and the feeling would linger for a long time.. like I wanted to eat but i couldn't and I had some feeling and nothing satisfied me............. I'm rambling. i'm trying to describe it but i just can't. I no longer take anything.

oh and it not only effected my appitite but it made me feel odd. not nesserly mood... I don't think... I don't know. I felt different.. it's fustrating that I can't describe it so I'm going to leave it at that.

oh and my doc said I had A.D.D
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    I think I might have AD....hey! look! Toy Hunter! I love that show! Anyone see that? This one episode...Seinfeld is on right now too...such a cool episode. Its the one where Kramer....oh man i hope the dvr can record it....its gonna rain this weekend. My dog has to go out....did I pack my lunch for tomorrow?
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    -Raises Hand- My name is Kelsey.I've had ADHD since i was 5! and i refuse to take the pills now,cause i dont wanna be a zombie!
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at 17, just before my final high school exams. All my life teachers had said the same thing about me: "She's extremely bright, but we just aren't seeing any results in her work".
    I was prescribed Dexamphetamines and 6 months later, after dropping 40kg, I was anoriexic. The meds took away any appetite I had and having been a chubby kid all my life, I was stupidly excited about losing all this weight so "effortlessly". I still struggle with the ED even though I don't take the meds anymore, only now I am over-weight and have damaged my metabolism almost beyond repair.

My honest opinion is that I was diagnosed so late that I had already learned coping mechanisms by then and probably didn't really need medicating. but that's just me. Everyone is different. If you have any other questions and want to hear more about my ADD experiences, feel free to add me and message me.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I've had ADHD had since I was a kid. I used to talk Ritalin for it. I was taken off medication when I entered 7th grade. I guess because they thought I could control it. hahahah, i don't kno if I really did or not, but I dont think it played a major role in my grades, because I got good ones when I put forth the effort.
    College was a whole different story. I have the hardest time paying attention. Any little thing distracts me. It was hard.
    I have anxiety, low self esteem (horribly low), difficulty controlling my anger (can snap at a moments notice), impulsiveness (when it comes to what I say. I often say b4 I think & regret it later, but I can't always control it, procrastination (I have this BAAAAD), I have NO tolerance & get frustrated real easily, mood swings and depression. I also cannot sit still to save my life. I rock when I'm sitting,,,,even if it's not a rockin chair. I sway back and forth when I standing. Constant fidget-er
    If I'm truly interested in what I'm doing, I dont have a problem with concentration. But if I dont wanna do it, it can take me ALL day to get it done. I'm pretty antisocial in real life, as opposed to being super social online.
    I do not have trouble with my diet because I have become obsessive over it.
    I've pretty much had this my whole life and I've never really gotten 'help' for it since being a child. I know I need help, because other disorders have stemmed off it pretty badly in the past year or so. Idk that I have any advice, but you can add me if you like to have sum1 who understands. Make sure to leaves a note w/ the request tho :)
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Best advice is find your coping mechanism for keeping things straight and work off it. For me, sticky notes are my guide. I tried phone reminders, agendas, etc... but those sticky notes are my savior. I use different colors for different categories. My friends and family has always gotten a kick out of it, say my office, my car, and my study in the house all look wallpapered with them, LOL. Purple is for the kids stuff, pink for my personal appts, yellow is for 'to-do', etc. It really does help. I work full time, go to college full time, have 3 kids (2 disabled), and have a lot on my plate. Without the sticky notes I wouldn't function. Sounds foolish, but works for me... take them down and throw them out as I complete each item and insure to keep them in order (top to bottom) in which they need to be done.

Feel free to add me if you wish. Lots of experience with this.
  • ChapinaGrande
    Options
    Anyone else? I've been getting some pretty positive words!
  • irishchick874
    Options
    Hello there. When I was in high school I always told by teachers, coaches and many others, that I really need to get tested for ADHD. My mom refused. She always said they were just trying to on meds to make me like a zombie so they would not have to deal with me. She said they told all kids to get tested and get put on meds:huh: I knew she was just being crazy. Anyway I never did anything about it till I got married and had so much to do and could never stay focused enough to finish anything . I went to the doc and they told me I have severe ADHD. I got put on Adderall. I only take when I have too. Now I make sure to make a list for everything to make sure I stay on track and keep organized... it helps a TON. Good luck.
  • sinkingthinking
    sinkingthinking Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ritalin (generic) has saved my life, I don't even want to think about where I'd be without it. I could no longer compensate for ADD towards the end of my school career and dropped out of university. I was terrible at every menial job I got afterwards and I was terrified and depressed about how I was going to make a living and survive without going insane from the stress of being bad at everything that's supposed to be easy. A few years later, with the help of Ritalin, I'm back at university and at the top of my class, the first one to start assignments instead of the last.

My appetite did drop off dramatically at first and it was a struggle to eat enough, but after a few weeks that side-effect went away.
  • ChapinaGrande
    Options
    Bumping to get more responses. :)
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I think I might have AD....hey! look! Toy Hunter! I love that show! Anyone see that? This one episode...Seinfeld is on right now too...such a cool episode. Its the one where Kramer....oh man i hope the dvr can record it....its gonna rain this weekend. My dog has to go out....did I pack my lunch for tomorrow?

lmao....been there, done that
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have had ADD, have had it my whole life. Made school hard. It makes work hard too. I have to concentrate really hard to not get distracted by things. Noises, people walking past, my own brain all get in the way. Welcome to the club. :)
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I havent been diagnosed but my 17 year daughter was probably 10 years ago. I get distracted easy... like I'm in a meeting but my mind drifts to something which drifts to something else and then there's a question and I have no idea what's been said the last ten minutes. My bills are often late too even if i have the money. I have a wallet full of debit card receipts to enter to my check register that I havent made myself do yet.

I havent made any effort to talk to my doctor yet. Procrastinated the appointment because I dont want my doctor to think i am just trying to get drugs. Anyone else felt too intimidated to ask their docs for an Rx?
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    MissGeorgiaPeachy Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but I just did a search for ADD/ADHD and this was the first one that popped up. I'm just wondering if you ever finished with your testing, etc.?

I had an appointment with a psychologist for the first time in my life a couple of days ago because I've been dealing with anxiety/depression and what I'm pretty sure is misophonia since I was a kid. It kind of shocked me when he said he thinks I probably have ADD. I laughed it off because of all the jokes associated with it, but then I did research and a lot of things started to make sense. I had no idea the depression/anxiety and feelings of being overwhelmed could be linked to ADD.

I always wondered if I had it, but I never bothered getting tested because I had heard my family tell me that I was just lazy my whole life and thought that was more likely. I couldn't pay attention in school if I wasn't interested (I would draw or write notes to friends or make random lists of things because I make lots of lists for some reason) and I wouldn't sit down at night and do my homework because I needed to be stimulated by other things, whether it be all the TV shows I watched, singing karaoke in the living room or playing outside. I got into trouble a lot with my mother who couldn't understand why I could get As in some classes and Fs in others when she knew I wasn't stupid. In elementary school everyone just thought I was lazy because my only good grades were in music classes, but in high school I also did well in French and Geology because the teachers or the subjects held my interest. I'm not sure which, but still...

It actually makes me mad that people just wrote me off and made me feel bad about something I couldn't really control. I tried to pay attention, but after a couple of minutes my mind would just start wandering and it's still the same. It's hard for me to stay engrossed in a conversation even now. You better tell me what you have to tell me in two minutes or you've lost me, haha.

It has taken me FOREVER to write this out... I go back to read what I wrote, then re-read it a few times and not pay attention and completely lose my train of thought. So I should stop before I go on for three more hours.

I'm supposed to be tested soon. What can I expect during the test? What do they usually do?