Do i need to up my calories help

Options
Hi I am currently on 1664 calories a day I run 2-3 miles 4 -5 times a week and do the 30 DS 5 times a week but my weight does not seem to be changing nor am I losing inches. I'm starting to get very disheartened and have had a bad few days food wise, Do I stick to what I'm doing and see what happens or do I need to up my calorie intake ??

Replies

• hulalipop
    hulalipop Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    with all the exercise you are doing, are you eatting back some of the exercise calories?
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    How long have you been on 1664 cals? Normally people say give it 3 weeks or so to see if there’s a change. Also, is 1664 net calories after exercise?

Also how tall are you? If you are quite short you may need fewer net calories.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Body composition has nothing to do with how much you run or how much (measured in calories) you eat. It's all about WHAT you eat.

There are many misconceptions spread around here on diet and exercise. The site itself enables many of these.
  • srawson82
    Options
    I don't eat back because the calories allocated already have the deficit factored in that's why I don't log my excersize. I am 165 cm tall if that helps in any way.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Body composition has nothing to do with how much you run or how much (measured in calories) you eat. It's all about WHAT you eat.

There are many misconceptions spread around here on diet and exercise. The site itself enables many of these.

Sorry, I don't understand this. A calorie is a calorie. Could you explain a bit more please?
  • srawson82
    Options
    How long have you been on 1664 cals? Normally people say give it 3 weeks or so to see if there’s a change. Also, is 1664 net calories after exercise?

• srawson82
    Options

About two / three weeks I will have to look at my diary maybe I just need to give it a little longer !!
  • srawson82
    Options

Sorry, I don't understand this. A calorie is a calorie. Could you explain a bit more please?
    Yes please explaine I eat quite well bar the odd hick up here and there, but then it's always a little bit of what I fancie.
  • clobercow
    Options

You're right. A calorie is a calorie. That is also an overly simplistic view on food. Our body doesn't use "calories" to burn fat, to build tissue, or to regulate hormones that control appetite and weight gain.

If you want more information on that, I would suggest you look into hormones, what they do, and the relationship they have with food.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back because the calories allocated already have the deficit factored in that's why I don't log my excersize. I am 165 cm tall if that helps in any way.

I am not sure how you could have your exercise allocated into 1664 calories when you are running 2-3 miles a day and other things as well, seems you are burning almost that daily.
  • MrsGSR
    Options

x2

Obviously what you eat has some effect, but from what I understand calories is just energy, if you eat too much the spare gets stored as fat, eat too little and the body uses what you've already got (fat & muscle)
  • clobercow
    Options

Yes please explaine I eat quite well bar the odd hick up here and there, but then it's always a little bit of what I fancie.

Well, what you may think is well or healthy just may be causing the problem.

My point is to investigate the issue rather than listening to the same poor advice that is spread around here daily. I failed at my diet for a long while following the usual and conventional advice.

Edit: I also see the irony in my own ad vice!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I think what clobercow is trying to say is if your body needs protein to build or maintain muscle you need to eat protein and any amount of carbs or fat will not do the job and they will be stored as fat if they are not used in activity. Also to make sure you are getting enough minerals and vitamins to make sure the processes run smoothly.

So I guess so long as you take in the appropriate amounts of carbs, proteins and fats on your MFP account and have your settings right, that would be a good start and see how things go from there.

Sorry clobercow if I have misread you - still a bit vague.
  • clobercow
    Options
    I think what clobercow is trying to say is if your body needs protein to build or maintain muscle you need to eat protein and any amount of carbs or fat will not do the job and they will be stored as fat if they are not used in activity. Also to make sure you are getting enough minerals and vitamins to make sure the processes run smoothly.

So I guess so long as you take in the appropriate amounts of carbs, proteins and fats on your MFP account and have your settings right, that would be a good start and see how things go from there.

I'm being vague on purpose. I want to spark interest to investigate. There is a lot of heated discussion about this very thing around here. Start by learning what your body needs to do it's job. You may be surprised that the recommended diet around here may be way off base.
  • MrsGSR
    Options

I'm being vague on purpose. I want to spark interest to investigate. There is a lot of heated discussion about this very thing around here. Start by learning what your body needs to do it's job. You may be surprised that the recommended diet around here may be way off base.

Have you got any studies or scientific research we can use as a starting point? The internet is full of 'facts' about diets and I doubt many people have the time or patience to sift through all the rubbish to find 'what the body needs'.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

Well, what you may think is well or healthy just may be causing the problem.

My point is to investigate the issue rather than listening to the same poor advice that is spread around here daily. I failed at my diet for a long while following the usual and conventional advice.

Edit: I also see the irony in my own ad vice!

so what you were trying to say really, after all of that is:

"i had problems with my hormones, maybe go and see a doctor."

thats twelve words. how many did you use?
  • garst772
    garst772 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Except, 100 calories from vegetables are far better than 100 calories from a chocolate bar.. I didn't understand this either until I started eating 'clean' and I can guarantee you that it does matter where you get your calories from - healthy, whole, nutritious food will help you lose fat and build muscle.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Except, 100 calories from vegetables are far better than 100 calories from a chocolate bar.. I didn't understand this either until I started eating 'clean' and I can guarantee you that it does matter where you get your calories from - healthy, whole, nutritious food will help you lose fat and build muscle.

I agree with the hot girl.
  • srawson82
    Options

I am not sure how you could have your exercise allocated into 1664 calories when you are running 2-3 miles a day and other things as well, seems you are burning almost that daily.
    I use my HRM and if I run and do 30ds its 500 calories if that and I got this calorie figure from fat 2 fit radio that factors in excersize.