Do i need to up my calories help

2»

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Except, 100 calories from vegetables are far better than 100 calories from a chocolate bar.. I didn't understand this either until I started eating 'clean' and I can guarantee you that it does matter where you get your calories from - healthy, whole, nutritious food will help you lose fat and build muscle.

I agree with the hot girl.

I agree with this because the 100 vegetable calories will also contain natural fibre, vitamins and minerals and some protein, whereas the chocolate will contain mainly fat, sugar and no fibre.

I think we're getting somewhere.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Except, 100 calories from vegetables are far better than 100 calories from a chocolate bar.. I didn't understand this either until I started eating 'clean' and I can guarantee you that it does matter where you get your calories from - healthy, whole, nutritious food will help you lose fat and build muscle.

I agree with the hot girl.

I agree with this because the 100 vegetable calories will also contain natural fibre, vitamins and minerals and some protein, whereas the chocolate will contain mainly fat, sugar and no fibre.

I think we're getting somewhere.

I've improved my diet recently, making sure I get enough fibre, protein, good fats and my 5+ a day of fruit and vegetables + a multivitamin and i have more energy, feel better in the mornings and I dont feel hungry (actual hunger, my brain loves food) between meals.

micronutrient balance matters.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    2-3 miles, especially on the 2 miles end certainly isn't a massive amount of calories burnt, especially if you are used to it - My usual 'quick run with the dog' is 1.65 miles or so, but with a 300ft climb for the first half of that.
    When I'm doing that relatively 'fast' for me (completed in 13 minutes), it's 185 calories. Slower we're talking maybe 170.

I've noticed that as I've been getting fitter, my HRM is showing lower calories burnt - presumably less exertion needed, along with a bit less weight to get up the hills!

What is your calorie deficit set to?
    How sure are you everything in your diary is correctly entered?
    How are you working out calories burnt?

Why?
    What if the person in question hasn't eaten any fat that day?
    What if they've had all the fibre, vitamins and minerals they need, but their body is looking for a quick energy boost pre/mid exercise, for instance?

The concept of 'healthy food' it's self annoys me - at any time for any person, what their body most needs will be vastly different to other situations.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    2-3 miles, especially on the 2 miles end certainly isn't a massive amount of calories burnt, especially if you are used to it - My usual 'quick run with the dog' is 1.65 miles or so, but with a 300ft climb for the first half of that.
    When I'm doing that relatively 'fast' for me (completed in 13 minutes), it's 185 calories. Slower we're talking maybe 170.

I've noticed that as I've been getting fitter, my HRM is showing lower calories burnt - presumably less exertion needed, along with a bit less weight to get up the hills!

What is your calorie deficit set to?
    How sure are you everything in your diary is correctly entered?
    How are you working out calories burnt?

good questions.

Why?
    What if the person in question hasn't eaten any fat that day?
    What if they've had all the fibre, vitamins and minerals they need, but their body is looking for a quick energy boost pre/mid exercise, for instance?

The concept of 'healthy food' it's self annoys me - at any time for any person, what their body most needs will be vastly different to other situations.

ok. the simple question here is, is a nutritionally balanced important. yes it is. for everyone.

does that mean everyones "balanced diet" is the same. no. everyone has different needs. body builders and slimmers are different. people in general are all a little different, but for the most past we are very similar.

theres nothing wrong with chocolate, or vegetables.

but if your diet was only chocolate or only vegetables, although the vegetable guy would have green doodies and fart alot, the chocolate guy would be constantly hungry and crapping his pants.

both would be lacking things in their diet, but id say one more than the other.

you can eat chocolate in your diet. just like vegetables.

but if everything you eat is like chocolate or junk, that would be bad for you.

1 calorie isnt the same as another from a health / nutrition point of view.
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    OP, If I was in your situation (not giving advice, just an opinion) I would wait another week. If there is still no change I would eat 100 Calories less per day for 3 weeks. Keep fiddling with the numbers until they work (but give your body a few weeks each time), eat lots of veg, drink lots of water, make sure you log everything, including drinks :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    1 calorie isnt the same as another from a health / nutrition point of view.
    Yes and I quite agree that all of one or the other isn't great.
    What I was getting to is that while you ideally want various amounts of micro-nutrients, once you go over these requirements, you won't generally become 'extra healthy'.

I've tried 'eating clean' at various points and it's given me no noticeable benefits, apart from for wanting to eat nicer food.
    I'm better at not eating the food I want to if I'm kept busy generally - if I'm not, then I find using exercise to make up for extra calories* works well.

* And often those extra calories do come from fruit. A calorie too many is still a calorie too many.

This article may not apply to all on here, but I think is of interest:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
    I'm proud* to say I'm now considered 'healthy' - low teens body fat, circa 50bpm resting heart rate etc; so quite happily replaced the 'brown' stuff with the white I prefer and haven't had any problems from it - in fact white often has a bit fewer calories, so it makes it easier if anything.
    *Which is a sin, but them I'm atheist, so what do I care?
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Body composition has nothing to do with how much you run or how much (measured in calories) you eat. It's all about WHAT you eat.

There are many misconceptions spread around here on diet and exercise. The site itself enables many of these.

Sorry, I don't understand this. A calorie is a calorie. Could you explain a bit more please?

A calorie is not a calorie - the body requires 25% more burn to consume protein so the net effect is 1000 of protein has a net effect of eating 750 calories fo carbs.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    I don't eat back because the calories allocated already have the deficit factored in that's why I don't log my excersize. I am 165 cm tall if that helps in any way.
    No no no no no. If you didn't exercise, then your goal of 1600 or so is great. The exercising enables you to keep a caloric deficit and lose weight while enjoying more food. For your own peace of mind as well as fuel for the exercise. You are supposed to eat the calories you burn from the exercise, that is how this site is set up. If you don't feel like you want to eat so much, cut back on the cardio and try some weightlifting. Your body will change for the better.
  • MrsGSR
    I don't eat back because the calories allocated already have the deficit factored in that's why I don't log my excersize. I am 165 cm tall if that helps in any way.
    No no no no no. If you didn't exercise, then your goal of 1600 or so is great. The exercising enables you to keep a caloric deficit and lose weight while enjoying more food. For your own peace of mind as well as fuel for the exercise. You are supposed to eat the calories you burn from the exercise, that is how this site is set up. If you don't feel like you want to eat so much, cut back on the cardio and try some weightlifting. Your body will change for the better.

She does exercise, but she's already accounted for that. If you put into MFP that you exercise 5 times a week, and then log your exercise as well you are logging it twice and overeatting. She has basically spread the extra calories from exercise over the whole week.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member

This.

MFP only uses the number of workouts per week to set your fitness and calorie burn goals under Exercise tab. It does NOT put those burnt calories back into your net intake until you log them, which is why you need to be eating them back.
  • You could always talk to a nutritionist. But you're correct, a calorie is a calorie, but at the same time, you have to factor in nutritional density, example, celery vs. cheetos. I don't want to use the words "healthy" and "unhealthy" because that creates bad perceptions and leads people to deprive themselves, which is bad for their mental health vs. their physical health. It's about moderation. Have a treat for yourself every day or so, when you want one, just make sure the majority of your intake is composed of wholesome, nutritionally dense foods packed with protein, "good" fats, and natural foods like fruits and veggies.

It is possible you need to up your intake. I would give it a test go and see where it gets you. x
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Go to scoobys workshop and calculate your tdee. That's how many calories you use in a day including exercise. Take a percent off that, not more than 20% maybe 15% and eat that number or around it everyday. You aren't eating enough. You don't have much to lose so you need to plan to lose slower...think .5 pounds a week. You want to make sure you are getting enough protein 30%ish, reset your mfp macros. Take measurements once. Month and weigh in once a week, give it a month and see if there is a difference. Good luck.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Body composition has nothing to do with how much you run or how much (measured in calories) you eat. It's all about WHAT you eat.

There are many misconceptions spread around here on diet and exercise. The site itself enables many of these.

Sorry, I don't understand this. A calorie is a calorie. Could you explain a bit more please?
    Yes please explaine I eat quite well bar the odd hick up here and there, but then it's always a little bit of what I fancie.

Well, what you may think is well or healthy just may be causing the problem.

My point is to investigate the issue rather than listening to the same poor advice that is spread around here daily. I failed at my diet for a long while following the usual and conventional advice.

Edit: I also see the irony in my own ad vice!

so what you were trying to say really, after all of that is:

"i had problems with my hormones, maybe go and see a doctor."

thats twelve words. how many did you use?

No. I'm just avoiding making assumptions about other people just like you did there. However, unless someone is trying to gain weight, the weight gain may be a result of hormones screaming "EAT!" while already in a caloric surplus, thus putting on extreme pressure to eat.. Foods that trigger that response should be avoided I think. Just about every behavior is controlled by our hormones.

I read these forums quite a bit. I see much more failure than success and I think it's because people have a fundamental flaw in their view on food and diet. I haven't counted calories in about 5 months now and I continue to lose weight. I eat when I'm hungry and I stop when I'm full. I'm confident that I can just eat and feel good about what I eat without worrying about calories and exercise. I find that to be liberating and inline what what I've studied and believe to be true about diet. Now, I just eat food normally without all of the fuss.

Again, I'm just trying to spark interest for people to investigate weight loss on their own and form their own conclusions. I'll take a quote from one of my favorite YouTube channels:

"This is all advice. Do what ever the **** you wana do!" -TheHodgeTwins
  • MrsGSR
    Again, I'm just trying to spark interest for people to investigate weight loss on their own and form their own conclusions.

Everyone on here seems to have a different theory on how to lose weight, unless it's backed up by scientific research that I can 'investigate', which your theory obviously isn't, I'm not going to bother trawling all the crap on the internet to look into it. Sorry.