That runners high i keep hearing about

Options
How far do you have to run to feel this? I'm still only beginning in my running distance experiment. Normally it was 1.5 miles twice a year while in the Navy. So tell me...how far did you run before you got "high"? What was it like?

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you take before your run.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I kind of want to know this, too...

I'm currently running between 4-5 miles 3-4x per week. I just started running in May after not running since middle school. At first it was very difficult to do, but I liked the changes that I saw happening with my body, so I stuck with it. I think I'm addicted now, because I get crabby if I don't get my runs in and I like the solitude to think about life...

How much different does the 'high' feel?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    At least a mile, sometimes 2. I don't run a lot though, only run as far as a 5k.

Some days it's better than others, I'll always remember one run in the midst of C25k, I had just hit 1.5 miles (or maybe 2?) and I realized I had it. Didn't really feel my legs...didn't feel the pain. Felt like my head was cotton when I jumped off, and felt great for hours after.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I dont run - so I cant really comment on runners high - but I do get that rush from a great workout though - a typical workout for me is half hour on the treadmill then an hour with the trainer followed by another half hour on the treadmill - and usually it usually kicks in after I've changed and cooled down a bit - I tend to be super energized and feel ready to take on the world - only last for an hour or so but I enjoy it while it does!
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I used to run for about 60 minutes 4 X per week and sadly never experienced this. I am not sure it happens for everyone.
  • Ender126
    Options
    I used to be part of the 3 miler club... I started running for distance about 6 months ago. I ran 10 miles last Monday for the first time ever. I had been running about 8.5 for about a week. I think once you hit your "pain/weakness" threshold and it's at the point where everything just starts to roll together (Loss of muscle fatigue, loss of shortness of breath, loss of overall pain) that's when you get that "Runner's High". I got that feeling last Monday about 7 miles into my run. I ran 10 miles, but I truly felt like I could've ran more. I only stopped due to time constraints. I'm pushing for a half-marathon distance by Mid-November if this Frankenstorm doesn't hurt me more than I think it's going to.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    It would be impossible to predict a distance or situation when it happens, but when it does you know. I think I had it more when starting out running and trying new distances and after really pushing myself to my (at the time) limits. It's normally after you want to lie down and die, but didn't, that I seemed to get it. Not had it in ages now...just concentrate on the natural joy of self-achievement through personal bests.

The 'high' could just be a rush on endorphin at the time, or some may speculate it's a myth. I wouldn't run with the aim of trying to get it! Think I would say I'd experienced it about 3 times in as many years.
  • dukeninja
    dukeninja Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've now ben running 6 days a week for the past month and it happens after about 3k
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--1102-0,00.html

I think is must be different for eveyone, but I feel the best when I'm on my longer slow (I'm slow anyway, but slow for me) runs. I've said it before, but honestly when it hits me... Ijust feel like I own the world, and it is just so darn peaceful
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    ever. I had been running about 8.5 for about a week. I think once you hit your "pain/weakness" threshold and it's at the point where everything just starts to roll together (Loss of muscle fatigue, loss of shortness of breath, loss of overall pain) that's when you get that "Runner's High".

The pain causes the release of serotonin and norepinephrine and dopamine which makes you feel good
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I feel it after I finish. I just feel like I'm dying the whole time I run.
  • jackflak
    jackflak Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you take before your run.

Could you expound on this?
  • jackflak
    jackflak Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--1102-0,00.html

I think is must be different for eveyone, but I feel the best when I'm on my longer slow (I'm slow anyway, but slow for me) runs. I've said it before, but honestly when it hits me... Ijust feel like I own the world, and it is just so darn peaceful

Very interesting article!!

Thanks for sharing everyone!!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier to feel the high when you run in the cold. I took a WALK yesterday in the cold wind, and when I got home, I felt the runner's high. My hubby, in his younger years, used to love to run in the cold because he'd get home and be totally in La La Land. Maybe it's not exactly the same, but I can't imagine it's too much different.
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I got stoned and went for a run once. It was okay.. my music felt way cooler. in my head I was all like "woah look at me go! woah look at that tree.. my arms keep making a swoooshing noise .. etc"

Typically I would say the natural runners high that I experience is just about getting in the zone. You are running at a good pace, and feel like you could go on forever, and are enjoying the whole experience. Normally it takes me about 3miles to get there.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Ive been running since May, but due to some neck/back injury its been on and off since Aug. I remember when I was doing 1-2 miles 4-5 times a week that after the first mile I was not thinking about stride, speed, breathing, pain, anything it was like meditation and my body was just taking over and doing it. I consider that my high.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me, it's usually only 15 minutes in before I feel it.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    About 1.5 miles in, and I feel awesome for hours after
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    It depends. I used to get the runner's high after about 4-5 miles.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    it varies. for me though it started happening when i realized i can run 5 miles.