Tattoo advice needed! :)

Options
tyedyechick0930
tyedyechick0930 Posts: 232 Member
Hi, I love tie dye! I love the bright multi colors. I have picked out a butterfly tattoo with the bright multi colors that I love so much. I'm thinking of getting it on the inside of my wrist. I was reading however on the internet that a butterfly on the wrist is a symbol for recovering cutters??? I'm not bashing that program by any means! I think that's awesome! But, is the inside of the wrist w/ a butterfly such a big deal that if I get a tattoo there everyone will think I'm a recovering wrist cutter?! Anyway, any advice or thoughts are a ppreciated! ~Charity

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Never heard of that before.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it either. So I would guess that most people would not assume you were a cutter for having that tat.
  • xxTAMxx
    xxTAMxx Posts: 614
    Options
    I have never heard of that, but I'm ancient in your world. Get what you want, where you want....regret it later! Isn't that what a tattoo is? I don't regret mine....
  • KerrieJane86
    KerrieJane86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I never head of that either, I suggest you get it on your wrist. That's where you want it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is true.

I am a previous cutter and it symbolizes rebirth and renewal. It is supposed to help the urge to cut.

People draw a butterfly where they used to self harm (cut themselves) to help them to stop. If they cut the butterfly they will be killing it thus it helps them to have will power to stop.

I put different tattoo on my wrist. It is the infinity symbol made into a heart. I am getting more added to it to hide some of the scars.

And I am looking at another tattoo for the other wrist to hide scars also.

I also put tiger lillies with vines on my stomach to cover scars.

I still have some scars to cover on my stomach and legs. :(

I wanted to also add that they suggest you name it, thus giving it life.
  • tyedyechick0930
    Options
    Thanks y'all for the replies. This will be my 4th so not new to this but of course it is permanent. I have one on my foot that I love because I can see it. I want this multicolor tattoo to really be a representation of me and therefore would like it somewhere I can see easily. :blushing:
    I think I will go ahead and get it on my wrist but of course it won't have a name so hopefully it won't be associated with the butterfly project.
    I think it's awesome that they have that project though and it makes a lot of sense. Butterflies are great representations of new life, hope, and change.
    Ok, well I hope everyone has a great weekend! :flowerforyou:
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is true.

I am a previous cutter and it symbolizes rebirth and renewal. It is supposed to help the urge to cut.

I think I'll get a butterfly tat on my tallywacker in case I screw up and my wifey has the urge to cut.

*tallywacker- lol don't judge...I'm trying not to get another warning!
  • Christineab
    Christineab Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I think I'll get a butterfly tat on my tallywacker in case I screw up and my wifey has the urge to cut.

[/quote]

If you "screw up" it's only fair the butterfly be set free to fly :laugh:
  • tyedyechick0930
    Options
    think I'll get a butterfly tat on my tallywacker in case I screw up and my wifey has the urge to cut.

If you "screw up" it's only fair the butterfly be set free to fly

Bahahaha! Y'all are cracking me up! I agree! If you "screw up" it's bye bye butterfly! :laugh:
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    butterfly-26nkkpu.png

No no NOOO...the butterfly stays! it's a dangerous world out there!
  • tyedyechick0930
    Options
    Pretty sure I'm going tonight to get this tattoo. I think I will still get it on my wrist.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't a butterfly, but I think the colors like this are awesome; thought you might think this is interesting :)
    As for the whole wrist thing, A LOT of people get tattoos on their wrist, so I don't think people will think that.

187251296976940359_kc59Kw5l_c.jpg
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of butterflys being a symbol for cutter recovery, so I really don't think most folks seeing it will think of that. If they do, you can just say, "I picked it because I thought it was pretty." And choose a bright one.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Butterflies are linked to self harm in a way (like someone else said- there's a project where you or someone you love draws a butterfly on the place where you normally self harm, to encourage you not to self harm again or else the butterfly 'dies' and to name the butterfly after a loved one, I love the idea. But it doesn't mean that butterflies are for self harmers only (: Go for it if you want it!
  • daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Never heard that before. However, since i'm literally around tattoos everyday (my fiance is a 14 year tattoo artist), I will tell you that getting something like that with so many colors on your wrist can either go good or bad. Your wrist is a very strange area, and the colors sometimes don't stick because of the way it bends. also, if you shove your hands in your pockets or something a lot, make sure you keep it covered. :)
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

LOL :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh: I seriously think tallywacker should be used more often
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Never heard that before. However, since i'm literally around tattoos everyday (my fiance is a 14 year tattoo artist), I will tell you that getting something like that with so many colors on your wrist can either go good or bad. Your wrist is a very strange area, and the colors sometimes don't stick because of the way it bends. also, if you shove your hands in your pockets or something a lot, make sure you keep it covered. :)
    I so totally read "my fiance is a 14 year OLD tattoo artist"... Glad I read that wrong... Geez... Going to get my eyes checked...:embarassed:
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't a butterfly, but I think the colors like this are awesome; thought you might think this is interesting :)
    As for the whole wrist thing, A LOT of people get tattoos on their wrist, so I don't think people will think that.

187251296976940359_kc59Kw5l_c.jpg

^^^This is beautiful!!!
  • jjshulou
    Options
    I have a tattoo on the inside of my wrist. I got it about 5 years ago. It's bright pinks and blue, star theme. I will never get another colored tattoo. Everyone says that it looks really nice and the color still looks great, but I feel like it's fading already. I don't know, it's just a personal preference of mine, but I'm sticking to my black and grey tats.

But about the cutter reference...a majority of people have never heard about that, so go with the butterfly if that's what you want.

Post a pic when you're done :)