When to post success on social networks?

Options
tonyaf78
tonyaf78 Posts: 29 Member
just curious... at what weight loss would someone post their success on fb and it be significant or worthwhile? I haven't posted my weight loss on fb yet (other than just commenting on others posts) and I haven't posted any before and afters on fb yet... i have currently lost 76.5 lbs. and have about 50 lbs more to go...

Replies

• nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    anytime u want :) it will def help and keep u motivated.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I guess when you feel it's significant enough to tell people? I wouldn't put that kind of thing on Facebook at all.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    just curious... at what weight loss would someone post their success on fb and it be significant or worthwhile? I haven't posted my weight loss on fb yet (other than just commenting on others posts) and I haven't posted any before and afters on fb yet... i have currently lost 76.5 lbs. and have about 50 lbs more to go...

I post a fitness update about every two weeks or so.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put that kind of thing on Facebook at all.

I wouldn't either. I do let Runkeeper post about my runs though. But as for telling people on FB, just post awesome pictures of yourself and let people figure it out ;-)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Go for shock value and wait until you are done, so the people who don't get to see you often are in aww.
  • whittlelauraann
    Options
    I post almost weekly... my friends there are really motivational for me plus I feel way more accountable when people are watching lol. Also I have inspired at least a half a dozen friends to start a weight loss journey including my partners parents who have both lost a bunch now too... I think it depends on the type of person you are ... for me I am very open about it.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    diff is if u put anything like what we post on here on fb....ur "friends" will eventually get tired of ur "weight loss or gym bound" posts. while here, EVERYONE on here is trying to lose weight and finding time or trying to work out. i dont really even use fb like i used to anymore.
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options

I blog almost daily about the journey. I recently made a FB page for the blog because most of my referrals come from FB. So, I don't really have an answer for you. :)

I guess the answer will depend on what kind of social network interaction you have. If your all of your FB are really friends (people you would have over for dinner, for example) then they probably already know that you are losing weight. If your FB friends are more little-known indirect acquaintences, then your weight loss might not be something you would ever share in that venue.

But most of all... CONGRATS on your progress! :)
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Never -
    Let others see it. Don't advertise it. That is what MFP is for. You'll have old pictures then post new pictures and people will comment "Wow, looks like you've lost some weight" then you can go into the whole success. but unless you've previously mentioned you were planning to lose weight and such..... I wouldn't addvertise it.
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't post about my weight on FB and actually only talk about it in real life to people who ask. But when I hit 100 down, I think I'm going to post a simple "ONE HUNDRED" as my FB status and those who know will know what it means. :)
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I don't post about my weight on fb at all. I use mapmyrun and haven't linked that to fb either. It just seems kinda self absorbed to think that my "regular" friends would want to read about my progress. That's why I'm here. If someone wants to tell me how fabulous I look in a pic, I'll gladly accept a compliment. But I don't go looking for them.
  • uncarvedblock
    uncarvedblock Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't post about my weight on FB and actually only talk about it in real life to people who ask. But when I hit 100 down, I think I'm going to post a simple "ONE HUNDRED" as my FB status and those who know will know what it means. :)

Same here to all of this!

I have friends on FB who post every time they lose 0.5lb... I don't want to be grating on people's nerves, plus it's a personal thing for me.
  • FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I ever would. I don't like to draw attention to my body though no matter if it's for a good thing. (Yes, I have some self-esteem issues that I tend to hide pretty well)
    Never -
    Let others see it. Don't advertise it. That is what MFP is for. You'll have old pictures then post new pictures and people will comment "Wow, looks like you've lost some weight" then you can go into the whole success. but unless you've previously mentioned you were planning to lose weight and such..... I wouldn't addvertise it.

I agree!

I might would make an exception if I had reached a loss of 100 lbs. :)
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm no longer using Facebook, but I didn't post anything fitness-related when I did have an account because frankly, I don't think my loved ones really care. And I only have a joke Twitter account so it doesn't seem relevant to post anything related to my health there. That being said, I did create a fitness/nutrition group on Facebook. It was private and I only asked my friends and family who were either training for marathons or trying to lose weight to join. In general, I posted my weekly weigh-in and the odd recipe or fitness-related article. So about once or twice a week.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    Go for shock value and wait until you are done, so the people who don't get to see you often are in aww.

This! ^^ Sometimes I post about the progress I'm making fitness-wise but never about my weight.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    This is a very personal decision--it's completely up to you. I haven't said a word on FB.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't unless I reached my goal personally. I have one of those friends that posts every gym workout, every .2 pound lost. It gets to be a little much for me. But I have other friends who post once in awhile about their losses and I'm always happy for them.
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    MFP-anytime FB-never
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options
    For me.. My facebook is private and I keep my friends list to actual friends and familly and most if not all of them are aware of my struggle with my weight. So, that said, I posted when i started and i'll post when I hit a milestone. (ie: 20 lbs... 50 lbs... etc) It makes me feel great to hear all the "OMG THAT'S AWESOME!"'s and since I don't get out much, a few of my friends have told me "I'm following your weight loss on Facebook and it's fantastic! Please keep updating!" So I do. I don't post weekly, just when I've reached something I feel super proud of.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    IDK for me I'd say post whenever you feel particularly proud of your accomplishments. It's nice motivation for you and often times can be great motivation for your friends too. As far as shock value, if you have a before picture, doing a before and after shot will get you that shock value still.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!