When to post success on social networks?

Options

Replies

• notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    I only do on a private group on FB, of friend/ friends of friends, who are all working on being healthier.
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    I would post the second you were SURE it wasn't coming back on! :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I lost about 45lbs and never posted it to facebook. Why bother? The people who are important enough to know already know.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I don't post about my weight on FB and actually only talk about it in real life to people who ask. But when I hit 100 down, I think I'm going to post a simple "ONE HUNDRED" as my FB status and those who know will know what it means. :)

that's exactly what a friend of mine did. She had gastric bypass and was losing weight so quickly. She never mentioned it, but would post pics once in a while- not even of her- just of her kids (she adopted twins). One day she just said, "100" and everyone knew what that meant.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider it advertising. Facebook is suppose to be a social network with your friends and family...why wouldn't you want to update them on your progress? I post my weight loss about every two weeks, just because everyone is so supportive and it motivates me. If any of your FB friends have a problem with you posting your weight, they know where the block button is!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what type of FB friends you have. Most of mine are family and RL friends, so I am comfortable sharing my journey with them.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I posted at 28lbs since it was 2 stone and being American and having American friends it was funny to post I lost 2 stone and have them say "what is a stone"

I posted at 50lbs since it was a significant number and to show off my tatoo.

I will be posting in another pound as 81.5 lbs puts me at Normal Weight for the first time that I can remember, and then I won't post about it until I lose the 100 total I am working towards.

That being said, my checkins at the gym and the rail trails certianly keep it out there.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider it advertising. Facebook is suppose to be a social network with your friends and family...why wouldn't you want to update them on your progress? I post my weight loss about every two weeks, just because everyone is so supportive and it motivates me. If any of your FB friends have a problem with you posting your weight, they know where the block button is!

Exactly! :flowerforyou:

Are these people your friends, or mere acquaintances?
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I've posted a picture about every 30 pounds or so just with a -(however many pounds). I don't mind sharing, most people on my FB either already know or don't care. *shrug*
  • paulabsc
    paulabsc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I WOULD POST IT AT ANY WEIGHT LOSS, BECAUSE I WOULD BE PROUD AND WANT TO SHOW OFF ANY WEIGHT LOSS. :happy:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have quite a number of friends who've jumped on the bandwagon since I started here, and got a lot of "you're such an inspiration" messages from friends and family. I had my weight loss status linked to FB from the beginning, and talked a little bit about my achievements along the way (ie, running a 5k), but didn't post side by side B&A until I reached my goal weight. Since I started using Runkeeper, I have those attached to FB, too, but lately I've mostly just been attaching my Zombies, Run runs.

I mean... if people can brag that their kid graduated kindergarten, you can be proud of your weight loss. Little Billy being smart enough to go on to first grade won't impact anyone reader's life. Your progress might.

And you know what else? It was a former classmates daily mile posts, and photos of my brother and niece doing 5k races, that started getting my *kitten* in gear. It all gets paid forward. :smile:
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I only just started here a couple of weeks ago, so I don't really have anything facebook worthy to post, but I don't think I would either. I do post about activities - like I posted about the two half marathons that I did, but I haven't specifically posted about how much I have or haven't lost weight-wise.

I've seen people do this big public "I've had enough, I'm going to make changes" post. They posted about going to the gym once or twice and since then it's been crickets... :-(

What you do really depends on your comfort level, how well you actually know all your fb friends, etc. I think it's inspiring to see success stories, so maybe by posting you'd help someone out there.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I don't check in at the gym, I don't post pictures of my food, I don't post about my journey. Friends that really want to know I speak with about it. It's not something I advertise all over. Plus it was really funny the other day, I saw an old friend and we talked a bit and he was like "you lost weight!" I was like "oh, maybe a few" and he was like "no man, you lost a lot of weight" he wouldn't have been surprised if everytime he opened his Facebook he saw 10 posts of me with my dinner or at the gym. Lol.
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Post anytime you want. One of the inspirations that got me off my *kitten* was a guy on FB that I hadn't seen since high school (over 20 years). He posted an album of his journey and some before/after pics that made me want to do the same.

I don't go out of my way to post losses or milestones, but I do post pics of obstacle runs I compete in and I let my run tracker post some of my workouts - usually the ones with personal bests or longer distances. Several of my friends have been inspired to get in shape just from the few things that I do post.

In the end, it's up to you. Do what you want, if your friends don't like it, then they can just unsubscribe from your posts.
  • AcampoGirl
    AcampoGirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Never -
    Let others see it. Don't advertise it. That is what MFP is for. You'll have old pictures then post new pictures and people will comment "Wow, looks like you've lost some weight" then you can go into the whole success. but unless you've previously mentioned you were planning to lose weight and such..... I wouldn't addvertise it.
    I feel the same way. I message a couple of friends that I knew were trying to diet about this site because this support is the best you can get. I also don't use FB as much.
  • Maddielen
    Options
    I wouldn't put that kind of thing on Facebook at all.

I wouldn't either. I do let Runkeeper post about my runs though. But as for telling people on FB, just post awesome pictures of yourself and let people figure it out ;-)

EXCELLENT ADVICE - - MORE "SHOW" THAN "TELL"
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    just curious... at what weight loss would someone post their success on fb and it be significant or worthwhile? I haven't posted my weight loss on fb yet (other than just commenting on others posts) and I haven't posted any before and afters on fb yet... i have currently lost 76.5 lbs. and have about 50 lbs more to go...

I am VERY lucky to have some very supportive friends, and ive included them in my weight loss journey from day one. When i decide to take a picture, i show them, put it on my wall for all to see! I can tell if there is "noticable loss" how people (and how many) comment.. lol. so it really IS good motivation for me!! Then, i tuck the pictures away into a weight loss album so i can keep my progress and i comment on them different NSV I want to remember.. like when i bought new jeans.. when i had to put my rings away because they were too big, etc.

Good luck to you! =) and CONGRATS on your loss so far!! WOO HOO!!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I've been posting since I started shedding. LOL. It has keep me motivated and accountable. Plus unfortunately I had some family drama on FB (first and hopefully last drama on there) and I was told I would always be fat. That group of people are no longer my "friends" on there but it gives me satisfaction that I proved them wrong.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've never put any of my successes involving weight loss on facebook and for some reason don't want people to notice on there. It makes me uncomfortable.
  • tonyaf78
    tonyaf78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL for you input! The only reason I am a bit skiddish about posting on fb is because, I have seen more than one friend post that they were tired of seeing weight loss related posts. One guy went as far as saying he didn't want to know everytime someone worked out or what they ate; he wanted to see results!!! That has been my main reason for not making an official post. I have made vague comments on others posts, but never about what exercise I'm doing, how much I've lost, or what I've had for a meal or snack. I can understand both sides (the annoyance of over posting and how it is inspirational).
    Most of the people that are important in my lfe do know about my success and progress, but I do have family and close friends that live several hours away.
    It looks like I should create a personal private fitness page just for those that will truly care and then wait I reach my ultimate goal for everyone else...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!