How do people tolerate weighing every day???

Options

Replies

• Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just don't care about the number that much. I weigh in the morning, log the number in my spreadsheet and move on with my day. I celebrate a little if it is lower and shrug it off if it isn't. I don't let a higher number bother me until there have been a few in a row. Sometimes I eat late at night, sometimes I eat more salt, and sometimes I have a higher calorie day. It only matters if the number doesn't drop back down and it usually does.
  • CurvyJen384
    Options
    I used to do that quite a bit. I just really liked the feeling of seeing when the weight was down- but I was always thrown off when the weight was up.
    This time around I'm going to try to see if doing it once a week makes a difference. Hopefully!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    How in the world do people tolerate weighing themselves every week? I do that and my weight graph looks like thisWWWWW

I've been weighing about every 2 weeks but I want to get it out to about once per month on a day I know I'm not bloated or constipated.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. You just need to keep in mind that the weight does fluctuate a lot from day to day. As long as I keep trending downward I'm happy.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I've been told to weigh once a week, same time every week, same conditions every time... and for good reason I've noticed because my weight fluctuates A LOT!

Ordinarily my official weigh in is Sunday morning after I wake up and use the toilet and get naked. For funzies, I weighed myself Tuesday evening fully clothed and was up five pounds. Last night sans clothes I was only two pounds heavier. And seeing higher numbers makes me discouraged that maybe I screwed up a bit TOO bad with my calories when I only went over my target (1200) by a hundred or so (and a lot of people say 1200 is too low!)

I think I need to avoid the random urges to see just how well (or not well) I'm doing throughout the week and stick to my normal weigh in time...

If the number on the scale has that much control over you...by all means, don't weigh every day.

Think about it this way though...

If you weigh on Sunday, and took in a lot of sodium the day or two prior, you're very possibly going weigh more than last week. Now, what happens if you haven't had a bowel movement this Saturday night, but you did the previous Saturday night? Yep, you're going to weigh more. Those two things together could account for as much as 3lbs or more of weight gain compared to your last weigh in. However, take into consideration that you could also very easily have lost 1lb or more of fat since last week. Those two together will show a net gain of 2lbs plus. Does this mean your 1200cal was too much? Does it mean that that 100cal you went over made you gain weight?? What did the number on the scale ACTUALLY tell you?

Nothing.

THAT is how people like myself tolerate weighing every day. We track those fluctuations, and track what causes them. I know that the number on that scale is a general overview of what my ENTIRE body composition weighs, including muscle, fat, organs, water, undigested food, AND waste. The greatest factors in fluctuating weight during the week are water, undigested food, and waste. Your body simply doesn't add or subtract weight from its actual mass 3-5lbs at a time (under normal, healthy conditions). Because I know this...the specific number has very little power over me. The average number is more important, and even that...as long as it's going down or maintaining monthly...isn't really all that important.

So there you have it...my answer to your topic.

Good luck!

I weigh and log every day.

I don't weigh every 5 minutes, before/after each meal/snack, after using the toilet, before I go to sleep.

I weigh and log every day ONCE.

If you can't handle daily fluctuations, then don't weigh every day. I can and do.
  • Nighthawk4
    Nighthawk4 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily, first thing in the morning.

Although it can be annoying, I find it interesting to see how my weight has changed.

For example, some nights I seem to lose several pounds overnight (having weighed before bed as well).

Conversely, some mornings I find I am the same weight in the morning as I was last thing at night, despite having gone to the bathroom several times during the night and again in the morning before weighing myself. How I can produce weightless urine I have not worked out :laugh:
  • hopsywopsy
    Options
    I weigh myself most days, first thing in the morning. I find it is helpful at this stage in motivating me as I see small losses throughout the week and lets me see how they can fluctuate (and try to understand why). It may also be because I avoided the scales for a long time, as I wasn't ready to face up to my weight, so daily weigh ins are probably a way of ensuring I don't start dodging them again.

You should do what you feel is best, whether it is daily (as long as you don't obsess over the fluctuations), weekly, monthly, or just using measurements / fit of clothes as a measure.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, every morning, first thing when I wake up after using the restroom. Its been studied and shown that people who weigh themselves daily not only weigh less, but keep off weight after they've lost. A simple internet search will bring up tons of scientific studies and articles.

I do the same. I don't get upset over any gain because it doesn't mean much other than I'm probably retaining water. It does however make me more determined to keep exercising and watching what I eat. When I only weighed myself once a week I felt anxious to know how I was doing. I just need to know either way good or bad every day.

Yup, that's my logic too.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I've been told to weigh once a week, same time every week, same conditions every time... and for good reason I've noticed because my weight fluctuates A LOT!

Ordinarily my official weigh in is Sunday morning after I wake up and use the toilet and get naked. For funzies, I weighed myself Tuesday evening fully clothed and was up five pounds. Last night sans clothes I was only two pounds heavier. And seeing higher numbers makes me discouraged that maybe I screwed up a bit TOO bad with my calories when I only went over my target (1200) by a hundred or so (and a lot of people say 1200 is too low!)

I think I need to avoid the random urges to see just how well (or not well) I'm doing throughout the week and stick to my normal weigh in time...

If the number on the scale has that much control over you...by all means, don't weigh every day.

Think about it this way though...

If you weigh on Sunday, and took in a lot of sodium the day or two prior, you're very possibly going weigh more than last week. Now, what happens if you haven't had a bowel movement this Saturday night, but you did the previous Saturday night? Yep, you're going to weigh more. Those two things together could account for as much as 3lbs or more of weight gain compared to your last weigh in. However, take into consideration that you could also very easily have lost 1lb or more of fat since last week. Those two together will show a net gain of 2lbs plus. Does this mean your 1200cal was too much? Does it mean that that 100cal you went over made you gain weight?? What did the number on the scale ACTUALLY tell you?

Nothing.

THAT is how people like myself tolerate weighing every day. We track those fluctuations, and track what causes them. I know that the number on that scale is a general overview of what my ENTIRE body composition weighs, including muscle, fat, organs, water, undigested food, AND waste. The greatest factors in fluctuating weight during the week are water, undigested food, and waste. Your body simply doesn't add or subtract weight from its actual mass 3-5lbs at a time (under normal, healthy conditions). Because I know this...the specific number has very little power over me. The average number is more important, and even that...as long as it's going down or maintaining monthly...isn't really all that important.

So there you have it...my answer to your topic.

Good luck!

^This. 100 calories over 1200 is NOT going to show up on the scale. Say those 100 calories were 100% carbs, and went to storage as extra glycogen in the muscle (which would be the maximum scale weight gain from 100 calories) 100 calories of carbohydrates weighs 25 grams. For every gram of carbs stored as glycogen for the muscles, you store with it ~3 grams of water, so another 75 grams. That means the absolute maximum scale weight you could gain would be 100 grams, or less than a quarter of a pound. And, in this case, that weight would be temporary, gone after your next workout (from sweat and glycogen usage).

If the 100 calories were somehow stored immediately as fat (which is extremely unlikely), it would weigh just about 11 grams, or 0.02 lbs, not able to be seen on a regular bathroom scale.

This means that the extra weight is from something listed in Cris's post.
  • Kelsbellz
    Kelsbellz Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Every morning before I shower. It helps keep me on track.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    i weigh in every mornin about 10 mins after i wake. my weight does fluctuate most times, but it helps me keep a handle on how bad that "cheat" i had a couple of days before affected it lol. also tells me if i'm retaining water again......just can't give up the salt.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, when I first started I was checking every other day...lol...but I don't do that anymore, once a week is good for me :)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I sometimes weigh myself two or three times a day when I'm at home. The fluctuations don't bother me, mostly I just like seeing those numbers.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a month, after I haven't worked out for a day, first thing in the morning. Best results in my opinion.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Who knows. I don't weigh more often than every couple weeks, and even that is more often than I'd like. I don't own a scale and only weigh myself when I stop by the doctor's office. Lately, I've had some regular appointments every 2-3 weeks so I've been weighing myself since I'm there anyway. Ideally, I wouldn't weigh myself more than once a month.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day because I am interested in how my body works....that's all. It doesn't bother me or depress me or upset me. I know my weight fluctuates....I just like to see how and why. :)
  • urinluk
    Options
    I weigh every morning, If I know I stayed at my goal calories or below and find a gain I can usually figure out what caused it. I for instance can not eat oranges. I stall or gain every time. I avoid the scale any other time because just drinking a glass of water can add to the scale
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Weighing every day makes me happy.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options

What I don't understand is this: "I weigh myself in the morning. Then I weigh myself before I go to the bathroom. Then I weigh myself after I go to the bathroom. Then I weigh myself before I go to bed. I might weight myself one more time during the day. And I do this everyday." WHY???!?

I do that once in a while, I mainly do it just because I think it's cool how much my body can fluctuate throughout the day and under different conditions :D I especially find it interesting w/ and w/o clothes, before and after eating, before and after a shower (how much does my hair weigh wet kind of thing), and before and after going to the bathroom.