How do people tolerate weighing every day???

Options

Replies

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I've learnt a lot from weighing everyday. Fluctuations don't scare me. In the beginning I could see losses every couple of days and I'd log them. It motivated me. If I see a gain that's there for a couple of days I don't bother logging the gain because it motivates me to set it right...i can usually pinpoint it and correct...too much pasta, pizza too consistently etc n I'll fly straight and back to square one again. But I often think that the important thing is the numbers you don't c anymore. I see a new number and I know that it's a given that I will permanently reach it but I also get a kick out of the fact that there is a number I don't c anymore even if I fluctuate. So recently I hit 81kg. Now it's gone up n backdown since but I no longer c 83kg as part of the fluctuations. So I am in a new range of fluctuations. Even "normal" people who have had no weight issue fluctuate. It's illogical to think that you have permanently put on 1kg just from one meal or high sodium. It can b adjusted n corrected n then set straight and you are back on course very quickly.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Weighing every day is the best (only?) way to learn just how ridiculously volatile your weight can be. Myself as an example, it is not unusual for my daily weight to fluctuate 2-3 pounds, and has been as high as 6 in the past 1ish years I've been tracking it.

Besides, the problem isn't in the weighing, it's in the reaction to it...and that's true whether it's daily, weekly, or monthly.

I don't understand people saying that weighing less frequent eliminates the fluctuations either. They don't.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I don't understand people saying that weighing less frequent eliminates the fluctuations either. They don't.

That's like saying muscle weighs more than fat. :laugh:
  • starjumper12
    Options
    i don't understand how people can "tolerate" weighing in once a week! at least with daily weighing you can form trend data and it's understandable when it goes up and down a little, fluctuations are around a line of best fit. but with a one shot deal, how do you know if that one day was a unusually high or low for the week?
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    It let's me know how I'm doing, you just have to get our head out of the way. It's not that big of a deal..
  • ChrissyPearce85
    ChrissyPearce85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me, it keeps me motivated, and accountable for my actions. I know to expect normal fluctuation though. I weigh every morning, after using the restroom, and when I'm completely nude (so it's just my weight, not my clothing too). I find this helps keep me on track. I don't freak out if it goes up .2 or so, but typically if it goes up more than that, I just make sure I work out that day. Weighing in doesn't work for everyone. I would recommend weighing in at least once a week, same circumstances (early morning, naked) so the outcome is more real. If you weigh in after you have eaten for the day, the weights will be different.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've been told to weigh once a week, same time every week, same conditions every time... and for good reason I've noticed because my weight fluctuates A LOT!

Ordinarily my official weigh in is Sunday morning after I wake up and use the toilet and get naked. For funzies, I weighed myself Tuesday evening fully clothed and was up five pounds. Last night sans clothes I was only two pounds heavier. And seeing higher numbers makes me discouraged that maybe I screwed up a bit TOO bad with my calories when I only went over my target (1200) by a hundred or so (and a lot of people say 1200 is too low!)

I think I need to avoid the random urges to see just how well (or not well) I'm doing throughout the week and stick to my normal weigh in time...

YUP. I weighed every day when I was losing but I knew not to freak out with the fluctuations. Now that I'm in maintenance I avoid the scale and let me tell you it is FREEDOM. I go by how my clothes fit and how I look in the mirror now.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It is normal for a person's weight to fluctuate 5-10 lbs a day! That is why weighing once a week at the same time is beneficial and more accurate.
  • thinfifi
    Options
    I have taken the batteries out of my scales so if I want to weigh myself it takes some fore thought and I usually don't bother. I used to weigh myself every day several times a day and i really can be discouraging. Now I just do it once a week :)
  • sparkyval
    Options
    Oh man I have to weigh in everyday...if i don't I am very good at living in the dream world where all is either well or all is in discord...that is how I got where I am ...not facing the truth about how much I really weigh...but I think everyone is different and you have to do what is right for you.
    Now of course I know after doing this for a bit that there are fluctuations daily and so I do have my set weigh in day where it really "counts." The rest of the days I just take the data as sort of a daily thermometer reading. It helps me catch potential patterns and problems at the earliest possible moment.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day when I wake up after using the bathroom without clothes on. I don't change the circumstances. It gives me a good idea on my progress, and if I gain, I can think on what I ate the day before, instead of the entire week. It may not work for everyone, but it works for me. I don't freak out if I see a weight gain. In fact, if I do, it makes me even more determined to do my exercises the next few days. When I do gain weight, it's usually from eating fast food the day before, or eating too much of something heavy and unhealthy. That is easily fixed in most cases. :)
  • SirRunningShorts
    SirRunningShorts Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself before and after going to the bathroom because that is where I notice the most weight loss. Just being honest.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning also and can usually pretty much guess what my weight is going to be by how I'm feeling. If I'm bloated I can guarantee my weight will be up. I find weighing daily to be a better gauge of my weight loss than one weekly WI.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a month at most. It's saved me a lot of pointless heartache due to water retention and other fluctuations.
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    I weigh every day first thing in the morning. I do see that my weight fluctuates on a daily basis, but that doesn't bother me. It is the overall trend I look for. I can also tell when there is extra weight from bloating and I don't let that get me down.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It is normal for a person's weight to fluctuate 5-10 lbs a day! That is why weighing once a week at the same time is beneficial and more accurate.

Huh? How does weighing weekly eliminate the "5-10 lbs a day" fluctuation? Any potential daily fluctuation is still in the weekly number.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If your weight fluctuates a lot, please explain- logically, why weighing once a week would be better than weighing every morning. It doesn't not make a bit of sense to me, although I hear it constantly...
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

I think it's personal for sure but...friends I have that weigh once a week freak if they don't lose on the prescribed day. It sets them up for a bad week. I say to them, the day before you weigh keep food really clean. They usually don't...have pizza or such (Monday weigh in) which can take a while to be completely digested. Yet if they'd have weighed the day before they would have probably seen a loss and not be down about a fluctuation. The body doesn't ascribe to a certain day to give up a number. I've been losing every three weeks and in that third week I lose twice. I'd miss that extra boost if I weighed week to week. TOM throws me out fluctuation wise for two weeks but I wouldn't have learnt that if I didn't weigh day to day. It's just a different perspective that's all. Do what suits but be logical and honest about the reasons for a gain.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Gives me strength...

I can eat 2000c and see a difference in a week right?

I can eat approx 1000-1500c a day and see a difference daily...

I don't really care, it is more a monitoring phase lol... I wanna tone up more than anything else so don't care, I know I will drop another 20 pounds likely, but that 20 pounds, is if I lost fat, built no muscle and lost some muscle in process...

It's interesting is all... :)
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, but to each his own. I understand in detail my body fluctuations over the course of a day or week . Once I went on vacation and gained 12 lbs in one week.Shock went thru me, I was so disgusted with myself. So for me everyday is a good thing. I recently saw a program on individuals that lost over 100 lbs and kept it off for years. They count calories, weigh at least once a week, and exercise on a daily basis. (National Weight Control Registry)