Options

Replies

• wholelottarosa
    Options
    I'm a 6' female. Challenge accepted.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I love being told what I can't do. It only inspires me to do it more ;)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Challenge accepted for me too. One of my big fitness goals is to be able to do 10 wide-grip pullups in a row.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Seriously?? Happy to say that I can do pull-ups unassisted with no problem; 3 sets to failure usually 5-8 reps. Still working on increasing that. They have been a part of my routine from the beginning and yes should be a staple in any routine. Love proving people wrong.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    When I was 20 pounds lighter I could do 10 - 15 in a row...now I do 3 - 5 in a row, I can barbell row just below my body weight at the moment.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Clearly the NY Times are behind the times.

Great stuff ladies :smile:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm still too heavy, but doing pullups is certainly something I intend. No question. I'm working on it.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    From the article: "The Marines say a male recruit should be able to do at least 3 pull-ups or chin-ups, but women are not required to do them."

That doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't all soldiers, regardless of gender, aim to be strong enough to lift their own body weight? Maybe some women (just like some men) would have to train harder to accomplish this, but it's still doable. I keep picturing some female soldier stuck hanging on to bar in a life-or-death combat situation, having to be rescued by a male soldier. All because she wasn't required to do pullups during training exercises.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I can do 2 chin ups in a row and I can do 1 pull up...not much, I know, but according to that article I am the shiznit! :laugh:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    One of my goal is to do one freaking pull up
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    What a load of bull! This has annoyed me. What about the gymnasts who work on the bars? The article has conveniently not mentioned them. With enough training I'm sure anyone can do it. It's definitely my goal to be able to do one. Someday...
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Great. Since I'm female, tall, and have long arms, I might as well give it up. Thanks, NYT for another inspiring fitness piece. Ranks right up there with that article on the dangers of yoga (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/how-yoga-can-wreck-your-body.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0).

Of course I'm going to keep trying to do pullups
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Article seemed quite balanced and routed in reality to my mind?

While it was an attention-grabbing headline, they didn't actually claim this was a set in stone fact.

But reality is that in my experience most women have more trouble doing pull-ups.

I've never been that great as a bloke, but since losing weight and doing a fair bit of climbing, have got better.
    (Climbing doesn't help THAT much as it's more about finger strength - it's rare my arm strength for xpulling up is a problem, though it often is for my female friends that have started at a similar time to me.)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I know more women who can do pull ups than cannot!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    In my leaned-out state I was doing 3 sets of 10. I am now 15lbs heavier and did 8 reps per set yesterday.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    If you want to do pullups....practice pullups.

i can knock out 30+ strict before i have to resort to kipping. apparently i missed the memo.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I am using the assisted pull up machine to get myself into shape in addition to other arm and back lifting. I'm slowly working up to being able to do my own pull-up all by myself.

I cannot wait for that day. I'll be so proud.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Challenge Accepted!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to do a pullup before... but, challenge accepted. I'm going to work up to it. :drinker:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I can't. Lol.