Women can't do pullups

Options

Replies

• kaiteboo
    kaiteboo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bumping this for later.
    I currently can do 4 proper pullups, but I would really like to increase that number. Will look at the exercises you posted later :)
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    I've never in my life been able to do a pull up. Even when I was hitting the gym 2 hours a day and could bust out push ups and was very strong I could never do one. I was able to hold my chin up, you know, the baby option of the pull up.

I've seen women do them, but jeesh, they are grueling.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I actually can't do them now because I haven't done any sort of upper body work outs in 10 years but back when I did gymnastics, at 13 I could do them easily.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I can! i started working on them at age 40 and on a good day I can do sets of 2 pull-ups and sets of up to 3 chin-ups. on a bad day I jump and just practice negatives.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Those women in those videos are freakin' amazing, especially the first one. I aspire to do pull-ups and have been working on reverse pull-ups to get there. I will make my goal, just gotta keep pushing. :smile:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I will someday be able to do this unassisted.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I can do pull-ups! (unassisted) :happy:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I just did 4 unassisted in a row then 4 chins in a row back to back.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I'm a 6' female. Challenge accepted.
    LOL That was awesome. I bet they'd be like hey hey hey let's not get out of hand now. Lmso. xoxo You lucky one :]
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I just got a pullup bar as I am going to start the p90x as soon as I have finished the 30 day shred and I tried to do one and felt so puny - I thought it was just me!

I had to get the resistance bands - but I am going to just keep on trying until I get there - I thought it was just harder as I hadn't done the correct type of toning combined with my height and the fact that I am still 220 lbs. I am still trying to do proper press ups too, but am improving with planks too to build up my core.

I honestly thought in my head that anyone fit could do them and it was me just being a weakling - I have a new perspective on it now, thanks.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

That should say "most" women. The blogger did make some valid points.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    One of my goal is to do one freaking pull up
    One is TWO, because one might be just a fluke, but with two I know it's me and not a random miracle.

Yes, I know females can do chin-upa, pull-ups; but I also know that personally my arms have always been very weak so it will be a lot of work for me to get there, but I will.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I can do at least 5 in a set - I credit kettlebell workouts. I don't do them regularly, but if I am outside playing with my son, I'll grab a tree branch and do a few!
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I can't YET.... but I will.

I'm not offended, plenty of men can't do a single one either.
  • Be_EmbracE
    Be_EmbracE Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Yeah!!! Managed to do ONE pull up last nite n hang chin uP for a min yea! Improved.. XD
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I am fairly certain that women who can do pullups have hidden willies.

In fact, to support my theory, I present the following for evidence: a woman at my gym can do about 20 of them, but while doing them, she grunts in ways that would put most powerlifters to shame.

Now, we all know that women don't grunt in the gym, so she must really be a man.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

In fact, to support my theory, I present the following for evidence: a woman at my gym can do about 20 of them, but while doing them, she grunts in ways that would put most powerlifters to shame.

Now, we all know that women don't grunt in the gym, so she must really be a man.

<
    no hidden pecker!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

<
    no hidden pecker!!

Dammit...there goes that theory. Hmm...you must be on steroids then, because according to the media, women can't be strong without them, and we all know that newspapers are always right...especially the editorials.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

The only hidden Willy I have is in my underwear drawer. It's blue and vibrates.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Can't do them yet, but being able to do pull-ups is definitely a big reason I started lifting heavy.

I am able to do actual push-ups now....several in a row. Before, I was stuck using the girlie-modification. But it's amazing how the bench press, deadlift and shoulder press are helping with that :laugh:

I WILL do some damn pull-ups in the near future. Screw you New York Times!!