what are yourthought on Intermittent Fasting

Options
1235»

Replies

• angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    To each his own.

I sometimes intermittent fast unintentionally. On a lazy Saturday I may not eat my first meal until 2pm or later. And days like that help tremendously with increasing my deficit for the week because I hardly even notice I skipped a meal.

But on weekdays when I'm busy, I need my three meals a day. But they're pretty much always eaten between 10am and 8pm. So I guess I do a 14hr intermittent fast every day?
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I've seen studies that say epinephrine and norepinephrine levels increase during fasting

for example

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1511.full
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting works really well for a lot of people (me included) as does Carb Cycling/Calorie Cycling for many reasons. it keeps the metabolism up, helps break through plateaus, allows you a lot of flexibility in your food choices and macronutrient breakdown, etc.

There is no "rule" that we have to eat "3 meals a day" and keep the same calorie intake daily to maintain a healthy diet or metabolism. Finding what works for us as individuals sometimes takes trying different methods.

This BS about going into "starvation mode" or risking "malnutrition" by varying your calories or macro/micronutrient intakes from day to day is just wrong. Believe me, people don't develop vit/min deficiencies and protein/energy malnutrition that easily.

Please expand on 'many reasons'.

How does it keep the metabolism up? I've seen no proof of this
    How does it break pleateaus? I've seen a lot of silly reasons of 'this broke my pleateau' but do we really know what caused it in each individual?

Nah...I don't really feel like expanding on it. Feels too much like work. Suffice it to say, there is no one way to lose weight and be healthy. It's doesn't have to be as scientific as some people make it out to be. Within reason, a healthy lifestyle can be flexible and if IF helps one reach their goals than it can be used effectively. Don't over-think it.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting works really well for a lot of people (me included) as does Carb Cycling/Calorie Cycling for many reasons. it keeps the metabolism up, helps break through plateaus, allows you a lot of flexibility in your food choices and macronutrient breakdown, etc.

There is no "rule" that we have to eat "3 meals a day" and keep the same calorie intake daily to maintain a healthy diet or metabolism. Finding what works for us as individuals sometimes takes trying different methods.

This BS about going into "starvation mode" or risking "malnutrition" by varying your calories or macro/micronutrient intakes from day to day is just wrong. Believe me, people don't develop vit/min deficiencies and protein/energy malnutrition that easily.

Please expand on 'many reasons'.

How does it keep the metabolism up? I've seen no proof of this
    How does it break pleateaus? I've seen a lot of silly reasons of 'this broke my pleateau' but do we really know what caused it in each individual?

Nah...I don't really feel like expanding on it. Feels too much like work. Suffice it to say, there is no one way to lose weight and be healthy. It's doesn't have to be as scientific as some people make it out to be. Within reason, a healthy lifestyle can be flexible and if IF helps one reach their goals than it can be used effectively. Don't over-think it.

It's to much work to name a reason or 2 but not to type 6 sentences?
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I do an alternate day diet (JUDDD) wherein I consume very low, near-fasting calories one day, and regular calories the next, and just alternate. It works great and has been shown to have all kinds of other health benefits. It IS sustainable--I've been doing it for 10 and 1/2 months and have no desire to stop. It's also effective! I'm hypothyroid and have lost nearly 90 pounds since incorporating IF.

There are many different types of diets and as many different types of IF. I say, play around until you find what works for you.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I've never actually tried IF but do a lot of reading on nutrition, weight loss and fitness just out of general interest. I stumbled accross this post that suggests that IF might not be that great or effective for women. It discusses a number of studies, although the literature is not comprehensive.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/

I'm neither for or against IF generally and think that people should do whatever works for them, I just thought I'd point this out for any females out there who are considering IF. I'm not even saying don't do it because anecdotal evidence suggests that it works amazingly for some women, just looking at this you shouldn't be surprised if it isn't for you. The more I learn the more I realise that trial and error with weight loss is the best approach. What works for one person won't work for another. Also a particular method may be the most effective thing ever scientifically but if you can't stick with it it'll never work for you. If after an IF you get so hungry that you can't work out or have to stuff your face or have problems sleeping etc It probably isn't for you.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth
    See my post on previous page that also includes this link

Ah must have missed your post, I confess I skimmed, just thought of this article and wanted to put the information out there
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I've never actually tried IF but do a lot of reading on nutrition, weight loss and fitness just out of general interest. I stumbled accross this post that suggests that IF might not be that great or effective for women. It discusses a number of studies, although the literature is not comprehensive.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/

I'm neither for or against IF generally and think that people should do whatever works for them, I just thought I'd point this out for any females out there who are considering IF. I'm not even saying don't do it because anecdotal evidence suggests that it works amazingly for some women, just looking at this you shouldn't be surprised if it isn't for you. The more I learn the more I realise that trial and error with weight loss is the best approach. What works for one person won't work for another. Also a particular method may be the most effective thing ever scientifically but if you can't stick with it it'll never work for you. If after an IF you get so hungry that you can't work out or have to stuff your face or have problems sleeping etc It probably isn't for you.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth
    See my post on previous page that also includes this link

Ah must have missed your post, I confess I skimmed, just thought of this article and wanted to put the information out there

I figured I'd mention it since we both have similar outlooks (2 girls after reading studies are impartial about IF mentioning the same website :) Yay for informed fence sitting :tongue:
  • m13sam2012
    Options
    I started last thursday and I can see a difference on my belly.... im doing the 16/8 and im loving it! not hungry at all!! but i do eat my calories! i will do this for a month and see what happens.... :tongue:
  • thethingirlinside
    Options
    I've been reading about it and I'm going to give it a try I know a lot of people that fast reguraly for one reason or another there thin and healthy so there most be something good to it .more reading for me but will definitely be giving it a try
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Day 5 since I've read this thread and decided to start doing IF. Figured I'd quote what I said on another IF thread to share with you guys:
    I want to try the Lean Gains method...seems doable...I have fasted without intending to in the past but have always consumed an incredible amount of water, helping me feel satiated and not finding myself obsessing with the thought of food. Ideally, I want to aim for 1200 calorie consumption, 40 protein/40 carbs/20 fats and hope to drop body fat % and build muscle.

I'm unsure as to when my 8-hr eating period should be. I typically do Insanity workouts at 4:30 a.m., work from 8 to 5, and will be adding strength training to my routine 3x per week. Could someone give me a suggestion as to when I should be fasting?

Interesting you say that. So I use to be really good at drinking a impressive amount of water every day and for whatever reason when the semester started I started drinking 1 cup of coffee a day....and that was about it for liquids minus milk every so often...

Then after reading a thread like this one almost a week ago I was like hey I'm gonna try eating in a 8hr window (I believe that's all leangains is?) Well, since I switched to "IF" at about 9oclock every night I turn into a unquenchable thirst monster. The first night it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was like wow, this is definitely something out of my normal and I haven't changed anything other then IF...I'm blaming this on IF...and I don't think it's a bad thing...it's making me drink the water that I stopped drinking completely. Then the second day came...same thing...9oclock and bam, thirst monster. the next etc etc anyway....it's quarter to 9... *glug glug glug*
    *howl*