Hurricane Sandy

Options

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I heard on the Weather Channel tonight that it's going to be worse than Irene or Katrina. Stay sate, people!!!

No difference in strength or size, the only reason why Katrina stood out was the flooding when the levees broke. The only place that should have flooding just as bad is lower Manhattan.

Look for pics of North Wildwood online...they're already under feet of water and the storm is still 400 miles south of us...
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Central VA here and son is in Richmond. Water , flashlights, batteries. No generator thou, so hoping we dont lose power because freezer is full. Grill and other stuff are inside now. Would think we are far enough inland to be ok, but after the derecho this summer, everyone is a bit uptight about it.

Stay safe everyone!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm afraid that Irene gave me a false sense of security last year. We did well even though the entire state was under water for a week. To everyone in South Jersey, got out and be safe.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    We are getting prepared. Been thru this before and have a generator ready to go, adequate water , food, etc. We live in a rural area and lose electric for several days in a row a few times a year. We also have been thru a tornado that took a few of our neighbors homes (just like the Whiz of Oz). Praying that all stay safe!

I'm in Atco in the Pinelands. Same thing here...we could lose power for a week or more. And we have well water...so no power, no water :(
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I heard on the Weather Channel tonight that it's going to be worse than Irene or Katrina. Stay sate, people!!!

No difference in strength or size, the only reason why Katrina stood out was the flooding when the levees broke. The only place that should have flooding just as bad is lower Manhattan.

Look for pics of North Wildwood online...they're already under feet of water and the storm is still 400 miles south of us...

Are they under sea level like New Orleans? If not, they need to look into a better drainage system.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Central VA here and son is in Richmond. Water , flashlights, batteries. No generator thou, so hoping we dont lose power because freezer is full. Grill and other stuff are inside now. Would think we are far enough inland to be ok, but after the derecho this summer, everyone is a bit uptight about it.

Stay safe everyone!
    Make your own freezer packs by turning your freezer to the coldest setting and freezing baggies of water. I will move my dairy to the freezer later if we lose power and I made a big dinner tonight using perishables.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Supposedly I am gonna get something (southern NE) but I feel like it is mostly hype.
  • Mandypt
    Options
    Thats how I felt for Hurricane Isaac two months ago and I had no power for a week. Id go buy some supplies man
  • Mandypt
    Options
    Good luck to you Robyn
  • samntha14
    Options

Are they under sea level like New Orleans? If not, they need to look into a better drainage system.
    After Irene we had a lot of coastal flooding yes, but in many of the worst places, it was mountain run off in the valleys. Inland flooding was HORRIFIC. Nobody had ever seen anything like it before except for maybe in Patterson. We have a lot of inland water ways that flood badly too. I'm in Raritan valley under the Watchung Mtns with Green brook on one side and the Raritan river on the other.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I live in Pittsburgh, we are supposed to get some affects from the hurricane. But, I have a good friend that lives in northern NJ. They are batten down the hatches. They have plenty of supplies, they have a generator that they use for their greenhouses. Can always store things in coolers up there. They are more concerned about wind where they live.
  • LeighAnna115
    Options
    I'm in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. We were all evacuated last night. They say the storm is coming straight at us and southern Jersey. Some flooding has already begun but the hit is set to arrive tonight, waiting is the worse part.
  • Mandypt
    Options

After Irene we had a lot of coastal flooding yes, but in many of the worst places, it was mountain run off in the valleys. Inland flooding was HORRIFIC. Nobody had ever seen anything like it before except for maybe in Patterson. We have a lot of inland water ways that flood badly too. I'm in Raritan valley under the Watchung Mtns with Green brook on one side and the Raritan river on the other.

We said some prayers for everyone on the East coast this morning in church. I wasn't able to get to my house for a few months after Katrina and had to start over, like I said before I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Good luck to you dear, stay safe.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Staten Island, NY but not in the evacuation zone here. Storm surge up to 11 feet expected in NY harbor. May lose power, but we have stocked up on food, water and candles plus we can cook if we lost power. Thanks for the well wishes, it may be a fun couple of days.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm in PA near the Maryland border...
    It's pretty nerve wrecking. All public transportation has been shut down in New York, Phily...Lots of New Jersey is being evacuated.
    My work still has us here though! LOL With all that...-shake my head-
    Hopefully my Chevy will float me home if there's an issue.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Yea I am not in the worst of the edge but I am hearing that my area is in the center of Hurricane Sandy and A winter storm coming in! Which they are calling a Frankenstorm! All be safe!
  • txdahl
    txdahl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have family in the Cape Cod area, been praying all weekend. I hope everyone comes through safe and sound. I know MFP is the last thing anyone will be thinking of but try to remember you have friends here that would love to hear that you and your family and friends are ok as Sandy passes through.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I was praying for some rain here in central FL but not a drop. Sounds like OH may be affected to a greater extent--with snow!!?? Is that really possible? Anyway, hope you stay safe!

Anything is possible in OHIO!! LOL We get everything!
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So THAT must explain the giant L I keep seeing fly over my house all day today its the wetherman doing his forecast!! Looks like the Pocno Mountains will be takin this on on the chin too!! Here we go kids!!!
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    to all my friends on the east coast dealing with Sandy, im praying for ya'll!!!