what do you do when...

Options
I really, really want a grilled burger with cheese (not fast food as it doesn't agree with me but homemade). Instead I am having a salad...composed of romaine lettuse, carrots, red, yellow, orange, green bell peppers, sugar peas, green beans, cucumbers, blueberries, strawberries, rasberries, and apple no dressing

Replies

• lisamariepickering
    Options
    I think that salad sounds better than a cheeseburger! Yum!
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You could put the burger on top of the salad to give it some protein.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Why didn't you just eat the burger?

Personally, I'll take a burger over salad any day.. more protein, so it's more filling.
  • Michellelmt
    Michellelmt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Me too!! Go for the salad :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    whaaaaaaaaat?? a homemade grilled cheese burger is delicious!!!!!! and since you can control the size, the ingredients, and they type of cheese, trimmings, and condiments, it's much healthier than one from fast food or where ever.

and if you want to cut back on some calories, than put it on deli flats instead of regular hamburger buns.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Personally, I'll take a burger over salad any day.. more protein, so it's more filling.

and more calories
  • bitxbit
    bitxbit Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Bake a turkey burger and top with 1/3 cup low-fat shredded mozerella cheese. I use very lean ground round with the cheese and put it on top of my salad...yummy!!!
  • truddy6647
    Options
    whaaaaaaaaat?? a homemade grilled cheese burger is delicious!!!!!! and since you can control the size, the ingredients, and they type of cheese, trimmings, and condiments, it's much healthier than one from fast food or where ever.

and if you want to cut back on some calories, than put it on deli flats instead of regular hamburger buns.

not sure what deli flats are
  • truddy6647
    Options
    Bake a turkey burger and top with 1/3 cup low-fat shredded mozerella cheese. I use very lean ground round with the cheese and put it on top of my salad...yummy!!!

tried turkey burger once and didn't like it. When I buy burger I buy the leanest I can get not sure what it is called Meijer has it labeled as 95% lean
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

totally this.
    im all for salads, dont get me wrong (my fav is mixed greens with dried cranberries, apples, gorgonzola, candied walnuts and a raspberry vinaigrette) ...but if i want a burger, im gonna have a burger lol
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

and more calories

Yes, but since that salad won't fill you, you'll be eating more anyway.

So in reality, you didn't save that many calorie and may even wind up eating more calories than what the burger would have been in the first place.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    to answer the quesiton, i would eat the burger.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

6a010536e3fd46970c011570a3fd73970b-pi.jpg

they're 100 calorie sandwhich buns. right next to the regular sliced bread in the grocery.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I would eat the burger without a bun. Maybe on top of that yummy salad!

You should totally have it.
  • truddy6647
    Options

6a010536e3fd46970c011570a3fd73970b-pi.jpg

they're 100 calorie sandwhich buns. right next to the regular sliced bread in the grocery.

cool, Had I made the burger, I probably would use the bread i have as I don't have any buns just some multigrain bread that is 35cal a slice
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Are you skipping the burger because it didn't "fit" today or because you think it's an unhealthy(bad) option? I sometimes don't eat what I'm craving the day it hits, because it was a day I didn't get enough activity to have that choice. Then the next time I have the extra calories available and plan better, I do have it. If I want it, and I'm craving it I will usually have it the next day if I can work it into my plan..Today for example, I got plenty of activity so I have calories available for a treat. Burger King's seasonal offering is Gingerbread sundaes and shakes. I have the room to have a small one later tonight, and I probably will. I couldn't have it yesterday or the day before, but today I can.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I get the lower calorie veggie burgers and put it on a small whole wheat bun. Even with a little cheese it would be under 300 calories
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    wait until you're really hungry and then sit down and ENJOY that burger!!! If you restrict yourself it will lead up to a binge. Don't deprive yourself, life's too short.

p.s... make sure you stop when you're just feeling that satisfied feeling... don't stuff yourself.
  • truddy6647
    Options
    Are you skipping the burger because it didn't "fit" today or because you think it's an unhealthy(bad) option? I sometimes don't eat what I'm craving the day it hits, because it was a day I didn't get enough activity to have that choice. Then the next time I have the extra calories available and plan better, I do have it. If I want it, and I'm craving it I will usually have it the next day if I can work it into my plan..Today for example, I got plenty of activity so I have calories available for a treat. Burger King's seasonal offering is Gingerbread sundaes and shakes. I have the room to have a small one later tonight, and I probably will. I couldn't have it yesterday or the day before, but today I can.

honestly I am trying to cut down on sodium so trying to avoid things with salt. I put on a lot of water weight over the last few days and trying to get rid of it
  • truddy6647
    Options
    I get the lower calorie veggie burgers and put it on a small whole wheat bun. Even with a little cheese it would be under 300 calories

Awesome. But for me the veggie burgers are made usually with soy and my doc wants to to avoid it as it causes a lot of issues with my thyroid. but thanks for the idea