FAT Thanksgiving

Options
All right.................it's just about that time. The dreaded day, and season, for all those trying not to overeat. What are your plans for Thanksgiving to avoid overduing it? Let's hear from everyone as to what they will be doing to stay on track on this day of stuffing food down our mouth.

I intend on eating well on Thanksgiving. It's OK to take a break sometimes but for me a break for one day can easily last for weeks. Good low calorie foods all day, a very good cardio workout at some point and a not to small but not to big Thanksgiving dinner. If any calories left maybe some leftovers later.

I would like to suggest that we all help eachother on this tuff to diet day with some encouragment. Check on our MFP friends and encourage them. Go ahead and check me out that day, i will unlock my food diary for that day. Don't be affraid to give me some crap and drag me threw the dirt if i go off the deep end. I just have so much trouble with my wifes delicious pumpkin chesscake! OHHHHHHH.......................I think i can be good, i think i can be good, i think i can be good. : )

Replies

• Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    This yr. is going to be easier for me to eat healthy. My family always met at my parent's house and ate lunch and dinner there and there was always tons of food. My parents just moved into an independent living facility and won't be serving up the unhealthy food. I plan on baking a small turkey for my husband and myself, along with preparing green beans, cream corn, and crustless pumpkin pie...oh, and some cranberry sauce. I know that this meal will last us for days and plan on eating healthy. I am going to cut out a lot of calories when I prepare my meal. I know that is very difficult to eat healthy this time of year, but I know that you can do it. If you have to have the cheese cake, just have a small serving. My name is Kimberlee, 49. Please feel free to add me.
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    i just don't feel that any humen being is phisically capable of eating only a small piece of my wifes cheescake. I will have to tell her to hide it from me. But my turtle senses are just to strong.
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You are so right in so many ways but I have to say..........you said you will unlock your diary that one day for people to give you a hard time..........that wont happen here. Just letting you know........people dont *typically look at others diaries to drag them through the mud. Doesnt happen. Those of us who are brave and have our diaries open all the time.........we get suggestions from time to time but not bombarded day to day.

Unlocking your diary even if its for ONE day will be good........it helps to hold you accountable. Why wouldnt you have it open all the time to help with holding yourself accountable?????????
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i plan on overdoing it. its one day out of the year. christmas eve and day are two more where i eat what i want and get back on track the next day. i tried "being good" last year and set my cals to maintain - i think i still ended up going over on christmas, but it was such a pain to try to weigh and measure everything with so many other people to serve as well. im better at eyeballing now and ill do that, and log estimates, but im not gonna stress about it
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    I don't have my logs open normally because i am on nightshift and my entries are generaly very confusing to normal people.

Rockerbabyy...........You have inspired me. I completly give up. I am eating the whole cheescake. And the whole tukey, and i just love Yams. Ohhhh nevermind........................i will be good. lol : )
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    I'm going to try to have one lower fat dish for every calorie nightmare. That way I can pick and choose (maybe). Turkey's not bad, and if I do roasted sweet potatoes instead of sweet potatoes drenched in butter, brown sugar, and pecans.... Dessert is going to be the thing, but it is Thanksgiving!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am gettng my mindset to say it is just another day, and taking time to enjoy the people is my focus. I plan to run in the morning, and enjoy the roast turkey with salad. (I am the cook and can do that).

In the United States, we have so much to be thankful for, and I want to be thankful for the choice to continue my quest to better my health on that day.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    I am gettng my mindset to say it is just another day, and taking time to enjoy the people is my focus. I plan to run in the morning, and enjoy the roast turkey with salad. (I am the cook and can do that).

In the United States, we have so much to be thankful for, and I want to be thankful for the choice to continue my quest to better my health on that day.

Very well stated. I am Thankful for my health and the progress i have thus far been able to achieve. I am thankful for this body that i have been blessed with.

But i am thankful for a wife is an amazing cook as well.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I cook the majority of the meal so I'm going to cut calories where I can. (while making sure the dishes stay true the flavors/textures the rest of the family wants so they don't kill me in my sleep!) I will eat normal sized meals and not over indulge. I'm saying no to dessert that day. We always have tons of desserts and there are always leftovers so I'm going to wait until a couple days later to have a small serving.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    This Thanksgiving, my daugter and I, are going to begin the "DAY" with the annual 5K Turkey Trot Run/Walk. A huge difference for me. My daughter is a runner though, and nothing new for her, I however will be doing the walk part, a huge change from the old me.

As far a dinner goes, I too am the cook. I have been either cooking or helping my mother prepare the Thanksgiving Dinner since I was 13. This year I will be focusing on more healthy side dishes and dessert, along with the traditional roasted turkey, a healthier stuffing, mashed potato, and gravy recipes. The biggest lesson I have learned in the past year is portion size, and moderation. It is my favorite holiday, and for this one day I will indulge and pick up where I left off on Friday morning.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's one day out of the year.. and one day is not going to entirely un-do your progress like some people want to believe.

It takes 3500 calories over your maintenance to gain a pound of fat.. So as long as you don't go that crazy, I think you'll be ok.

Just drink some extra water the days after to combat sodium, and you'll be alright.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as little as possible during the holidays.

I had been lucky last year because my sister fully supported me with my lifestyle change... I also workout about 4-5 days a week...

I just love to be thin too much to allow myself to eat too much during the holidays.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I will eat what I want until I am satisfied. 1 day is not going to undo 2½ years of work.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    I will eat what I want until I am satisfied. 1 day is not going to undo 2½ years of work.

You sir have lost 178 pounds........................you know what you are doing and deserve the day off. Good job man. Seriosly, you are a real good example. Please add me. would love to hear from you.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    We already had our Thanksgiving and yes I went overboard and yes I did gain a pound. But that pound is gone and so are a couple of his friends.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I plan on running thursday morning, so I don't feel like i'll need to hold back any with what I eat, but most of what my family makes isn't too bad.. the turkey and vegetables etc. My kryponite is my mom's mac and cheese though.... oh my goodness..... :)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I fully intend to over eat that day.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    it is good to eat more then normal every so often. Right? RIGHT?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've lost 130 lbs so far allowing myself occasional days where I throw the entire diet/nutrition rulebook totally out the window. Thanksgiving is one of those days.
  • ashleyedwards315
    ashleyedwards315 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am just telling myself that I will not have any "cheat" days until Thanksgiving (usually 1x/week for me), which will make Thanksgiving all that more satisfying! Exercising first thing in the morning is a great idea to start the day off in a healthy mindset. I also tend only to eat fruits/veggies only until the big meal!