Panera & Subway

Options
13»

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    The last order I placed at Subway was for a 6 inch baked chicken sandwich on flat bread with lots of green veggies. I liked it very much. I haven't been a big Subway fan over the years due to the huge slabs of bread, but discovered I like the flat bread better. DH is gluten intolerant, and they now have gluten free buns available in addition to regular bread. It is also relatively easy to find a realistic calorie count, although I'm sure my choices make it a bit higher. We're planning a major road trip in November, so this will add to our "road food" alternatives. I've never been to Panera.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Your best bets are their salads with some added protein (chicken, turkey).

Just watch the dressings they can be heavy calorie. Get an apple instead of bread or chips. Etc..it's all about good choices.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I get the sodium issue unless you have a water retention or other health problem.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Panera, Subway is okay, but Panera is my favorite place!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I always get a oven-roasted chicken on whole wheat at Subway, no cheese though. It's 310 cals, not bad. I always ask for a bit of lite mayo though, which only bring the cals up by another 50.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    On the Subway 'big bread' - I've read that if you ask, they'll scoop out the middle, which should leave it even lower in calories.
    But, for me in the end I'm eating to be filled up a bit and to provide some energy, so might as well have the extra few.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    My go-to's are...

Subway - 6 inch chicken on Italian herbs and cheese bread, American cheese, lettuce, spinach, tomato, onion, green pepper, honey mustard and a dab of light mayo.

Panera - I do the pick two and get the ham and swiss and usually broccoli soup.

I've been feeling frisky lately, so I've been trying to really change it up when I go.
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Subway: 6" tuna on wheat w/ lettuce, green peppers, onions, banana peppers, olives, oregano and a bag of baked chips.

Panera: Pick 2, frontega chicken and broc cheese soup.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    At Panera I get the You Pick Two combo with chicken noodle soup, half a smoked turkey sandwich on white (less calories than the bread it normally comes with) and an apple. 310 calories and I don't feel the slightest bit deprived.
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't Panera, but Subway... yum.

I usually stick to a 6" Subway Melt on wheat with american cheese, lettuce, pickles and light mayo. It's 410 cals, I believe.
    I've also gotten the Tuscan Chicken sandwich. I don't remember what I got on it, but it was delicious.

Just get on subway.com and go through their sandwiches, you can "build your own" and see the nutrition info. :)