EAST COAST!

Options

Replies

• bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That said, the local media hype over this one has been relentless. The way they'er talking, you'd think we're on the verge of Armageddon.

Right?? And people are going nuts. I was at Target this morning and there are no flashlights or D batteries to be had.

Schools are shut in Boston tomorrow, all non-essential government officials are staying home, and my office just announced it'll be closed. Fun times.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Right?? And people are going nuts. I was at Target this morning and there are no flashlights or D batteries to be had.

Schools are shut in Boston tomorrow, all non-essential government officials are staying home, and my office just announced it'll be closed. Fun times.

i don't think it's that ridiculous - this area has never really been hit by a storm like this before, so no one really knows what to expect. and it's important to scare people - only way to make sure they actually do something. better safe than sorry and all that. :)
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    NH just started closing all the schools for tomorrow too
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    Thanks for the well wishes!:flowerforyou: Dark skies, some light, cold rain. Wind is getting a little stronger. Holing up with a huge bottle of champagne, leftover from our engagement party, and all the original star wars movies, because i havent seen them ever. :blushing:

Plenty of stored water. Genny is ready to go. And i just made some healthy cookies. Huge salads for dinner. :fragile:

Best thing about eating healthy, is that most of the stuff we have in the house is produce, so, even an electricityless existence for a week wouldnt spoil our food. I aint scrrrrd. :tongue:

:happy: But im not mega coastal either...

Though, the real fireworks may not be til tomorrow evening... we shall see. Stay safe everyone. <3
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I've done what I can to prepare. Now it's just waiting and hoping it won't be too bad. I think we'll likely lose power for a prolonged period and my basement may flood, but that's really not too bad. Inconvenient, but not the end of the world.

I do wish that my relative on the coast at predicted landfall had evacuated, but he's a grown man and he'll make his own decisions.
  • thathockeychick23
    Options
    I'm in NY, getting prepared over here. Close are closing all over the state are starting to close, just not directly in my region yet. I just really hope we don't get hit hard here. We still are recovering from Issac where I am from, and a lot of places just can't handle this right now.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • eksproductions
    eksproductions Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    No work!!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    My sis in NYC says that they shut down the elevators in her residence and they have a bunch of school buses outside to charter people to a safe shelter. But everyone went nuts buying necessities they are refusing to leave.
  • stinkpurty
    Options
    Best wishes from Louisiana!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you all....I hope it doesn't get as bad as they say....

Stay safe....

Cely from Australia...:heart:
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    VA Beach area here.
    They say will get winds & rains like Isabel & Irene; also major power outages.
    We already have LOTS of Flooding with canceled schools & businesses for tonight and tomorrow. Supposedly its only going to get worse!
    We have voluntary evacuation already in 2 surrounding areas because of flooding.
  • rabbit1951
    rabbit1951 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    CT here. Many mandatory (and some voluntary) evacuations on the shoreline. We're inland so the winds may be more of a problem. If the power goes out, I don't expect it back any time soon. We'll be enjoying a diet of fruit, peanut butter, tuna fish and if I'm really bad, a Hostess cupcake- I'll deserve a cheat snack if it's as bad as we're hearing.

Good luck to everyone and stay as safe as you can.
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    Stay safe all!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    i don't think it's that ridiculous - this area has never really been hit by a storm like this before, so no one really knows what to expect. and it's important to scare people - only way to make sure they actually do something. better safe than sorry and all that. :)

If they are out of batteries, get camping lamps. You can light them with gas canisters that they make for camping. They don't last forever so you want a good quantity of them. Flashlights last for only so long anyway.

We go through hurricanes down here all of the time. I recommend making sure you have a 'safe room' where you can put supplies (blankets, inflatable mattresses, etc) and basics in case you have issues with a window breaking. You want a place you can seek shelter in just in case. FYI - Taping the windows is sorta worthless. We learned that down here so if you're doing that...it's not all that useful.

I don't know if you guys board up your windows, but down here, we board up windows or have shutters and we close everything up. Basically, the biggest danger is flying stuff coming into the house through a window. If you have anything that's sitting outside that can become a missile (like furniture, etc), bring it into the house! You don't want to leave anything out there. It may seem funny but if it goes through your neighbors window...not so funny.

Water is critical and also food that's easy to keep without refrigeration. You can fill up the bathtub with water so that you'll have stuff to clean pans, plates, etc...remember, trash service may not be up and running for a bit. Basically, you want stuff that can go for days - canned goods of a variety are excellent. I know we keep a camping stove and gas for in case we have to cook and we have no power. A lot of places like Walmart even have dehydrated meals BUT those require liquid which can be a problem.

Also, do NOT run a generator inside the house during the storm. You can kill yourself doing that. Generators are for AFTER the storm and usually you run them outside. Down here people have accidentally killed themselves that way.

Good luck. I'm sure you guys will be ok. :) I'll be crossing my fingers for you and hoping all goes well.

Monica
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Richmond, VA here... kind of on the outer edge of the storm. We've had a bunch of different scenarios thrown at us the last couple days, none of which are great. Our best case right now is high winds with gusts of 45-50mph. That said, schools are cancelled and I've got everything ready here. Ready for Sandy to blown on through and hoping for the best.
  • 126siany
    Options
    if I'm really bad, a Hostess cupcake- I'll deserve a cheat snack if it's as bad as we're hearing.

Good luck to everyone and stay as safe as you can.

Erm, why do you "deserve" a Hostess cupcake?:cry: *kitten* food as a reward is an old, bad habit. We're trying to build new ones, right? :bigsmile:
  • 126siany
    Options

If they are out of batteries, get camping lamps. You can light them with gas canisters that they make for camping. They don't last forever so you want a good quantity of them. Flashlights last for only so long anyway.

We go through hurricanes down here all of the time. I recommend making sure you have a 'safe room' where you can put supplies (blankets, inflatable mattresses, etc) and basics in case you have issues with a window breaking. You want a place you can seek shelter in just in case. FYI - Taping the windows is sorta worthless. We learned that down here so if you're doing that...it's not all that useful.

I don't know if you guys board up your windows, but down here, we board up windows or have shutters and we close everything up. Basically, the biggest danger is flying stuff coming into the house through a window. If you have anything that's sitting outside that can become a missile (like furniture, etc), bring it into the house! You don't want to leave anything out there. It may seem funny but if it goes through your neighbors window...not so funny.

Water is critical and also food that's easy to keep without refrigeration. You can fill up the bathtub with water so that you'll have stuff to clean pans, plates, etc...remember, trash service may not be up and running for a bit. Basically, you want stuff that can go for days - canned goods of a variety are excellent. I know we keep a camping stove and gas for in case we have to cook and we have no power. A lot of places like Walmart even have dehydrated meals BUT those require liquid which can be a problem.

Also, do NOT run a generator inside the house during the storm. You can kill yourself doing that. Generators are for AFTER the storm and usually you run them outside. Down here people have accidentally killed themselves that way.

Good luck. I'm sure you guys will be ok. :) I'll be crossing my fingers for you and hoping all goes well.

Monica

Very thorough if people do not have pets.

If you have pets:

-you need recent pics of you and your dog/cat together.

-veterinary records and microchip info

-food and water for the animals (a dog will go through a quart of water per day at least depending on size easily, so figure that into your water calculations)

-leash, tags, vet records and a crate if you have it. Many shelters will accept pets if you have crate.

I have to say, during Irene the governors went out of their way to say "bring your pets to shelters" after so many died in Katrina defending their pets, but I have not seen one "official" announcement this time around saying pets are welcome at shelters.

Watch twitter if you can--often the best place to know immediately who will accept not only household pets like dogs and cats but also livestock like horses, cows, sheep and hogs.

Wishing everyone good luck!
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know last night in NYC there were official announcements that people could bring their pets to shelters and on public transit and in cabs to get to the shelters.

Thanks for the tips! I do think the scariest thing about something like this is that it's not something New Englanders generally know how to deal with. I'm lucky (?) in that I have relatives who live in NoLa and went through Katrina, so I have a bunch of (theoretical) know-how already. Didn't think of keeping pics of me and the cats, though, that makes sense.

Last night my BF and his dad (both of whom have lived in Boston their entire lives--around 60 years for the dad) went outside and went "oh. wow. the air's definitely different. this isn't normal Boston." which they didn't do for Irene. So... I'm glad I'm prepared.