No eating from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.

http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20602924_1,00.html

This report says that fat burning is best if you have a 12 hour period where you don't eat. This article suggestes 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.

Do you agree?

Article Quote:

This could have major consequences for your weight and health—and mean you can snack more and weigh less. In a study just published in Cell Metabolism, Panda's research team found that mice that ate a high-fat diet spread out over the day and night became obese and diabetic, while mice eating the same diet but only over an eight-hour period didn't gain any weight and remained healthy. "Fasting at night can even override most of the negative effects of an unhealthy diet," Panda says, "including weight gain."

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I only eat between 7 and 7 ... Not sure if it contributes or not
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Well tonight I ate dinner at 7:30 pm and will have breakfast after my morning exercise at 6:30 am so aint happening at my house.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    That's basically intermittent fasting or IF. There are groups on that style of eating on here.
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Definitely agree and Í'd even go for 10am. After completely stalling for months I started 14 hour fasts last week (Leangains). In the week I lost a kg and had strength gains.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I don't buy it. Just my opinion, no facts to back it up.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Personally I do fine snacking until 9 or so and then eating breakfast around 7. I don't have any peer-reviewed studies or anything, but it works for me.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    I'm going try to 9pm - 9am...most likely 11am on my days off...but I found that when I didn't eat after 10pm I was feeling less bloated...I know most likely due to just plain NOT eating so late and cutting back calories that way. Time to get back to it!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    I see a lot about this intermittent fasting on the message boards. I have always eaten on this schedule: noon or 1pm to about 10pm. I have always been fat (until recently, of course). I have not changed my hours of eating, but I have changed the way I eat by counting calories and eating based on my TDEE. I am guessing the IF isn't making a difference, at least not for me.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    I eat dinner round 5 and am eating breakfast at about 4 am
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Can't see the source(s) listed?
  • Wrreck
    Wrreck Posts: 99 Member
    I heard about this on the radio recently. You do realize that they are saying it is best to eat all of your calories within an 8 hour period not a 12 hour period, yes?
  • Hhmm, perhaps this is a person by person thing. Some people it works for, some it doesn't.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    I eat at 7:30-8am and I eat my bedtime snack at 7pm. I don't really care too much what studies say, They didn't study me. When and only when something i do doesn't work for me that is when I will change it.
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Sounds like a good idea....I'd have to change it to maybe 9pm to 9am or 10pm to 10 am though since my days start and end slightly later than others....plus i would like the full 12 hrs to stretch my meals out...not 8. :ohwell:
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Consider this FACT. It takes 24 hrs for your food to digest. Your digestive system doesn't know when your asleep, it only knows it has a job to do. So, unless you have GERD, or acid reflux, it doesn't matter when you eat. Most professional bodybuilders as well as fitness competitors actually continue eating every 3 hours by setting alarms so they can wake up in the middle of the night and eat, then go back to sleep.
  • I heard about this on the radio recently. You do realize that they are saying it is best to eat all of your calories within an 8 hour period not a 12 hour period, yes?

Does that matter?

What would be the difference between having your entire calorie intake in one meal and not eating the rest of the day verses spreading it out throughout the day?

Aside from being hungry later of course... :tongue:
  • tgc1974
    tgc1974 Posts: 6 Member
    There seems to be research that supports every nutritional theory, including ones that contradict each other. I think its important to use common sense to evaluate the information, since there are so many variables it is impossible to generalize the research findings to your specific situation. For example, women in Tel Aviv have very little in common with a male who lives in Canada - not only are our genders different, we also have drastic differences in our climate, diet, ages, etc.

That being said, I think the suggestion that your body needs time to fully eliminate glycogen and begin utilizing fat stores makes sense. I have little more than a basic understanding of how the human body metabolizes food, but it makes sense that the body wouldn't tap into its reserves until all of its immediate resources are exhausted. I don't think it has to be 8pm to 8am, that appears to be a suggestion based on a traditional schedule, I think it should be the 12 hours preceding whatever time you usually hit the kitchen for the first time. For example, I leave for work at 6:30am, and so I should probably aim to stop eating at 6:30pm.

Thanks for posting the article, it was an interesting read.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Watch out. If you eat ANYTHING 1 minute over the allotted time, you will instantly gain 10 pounds.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    I think a big reason for that is that late night snacking often accounts for about half of a person's daily calories - and that's after they've consumed their calories for the day. In general people don't snack on fruits and veggies at night, they snack on chips or sweets. My grandfather used to sit down with an entire box of powdered donuts every single night. Yep, he battled with his weight.

I personally don't eat once dinner is over but that's because I know that if I snack it will be on junk. So yeah, not eating after dinner is definitely going to speed up my weight loss. I don't know that going 12 hours without eating in and of itself is all that helpful but avoiding nighttime snacking on junk definitely is.
  • LCgymnast
    LCgymnast Posts: 258
    I haven't heard about not eating before 8am, but I don't eat after 8pm. One main reason was because I would eat too much too late and fall straight to sleep. Now, I don't eat after 8pm or if I do it's something very light. I've seen great results with this so far.