Over weight people bulking out of obesity

Options
So i was thinking about muscle building and fat loss and got to wondering.
Since you can only build a small amount of muscle on a deficit. Plus weight loss is a very slow process and alot of obese people struggle to loose weight and eat at a surplus anyway which is the reason probably 95% of people are obese in the first place.

Would it not make more sense for an obese person to clean bulk first/recomp and try to gain as much muscle as possible for a year or two before they try to loose weight? If you could gain 18 or so kg of muscle without putting on much fat not only would your body fat composition improve but if you chose to get to a lower body fat:
it would be quicker for one
you would have a lower chance of loose skin.
your bmr would be higher since you are carrying more weight
you get to eat more so you would stick to it more
Plus you would look better when you dropped your body fat

The only people who it would not be a good idea for is the very obese but they can gain muscle while cutting anyway.
Am i dreaming or does it make sense for the majority of people to bulk out of obesity ?

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Why would it be quicker?

If anything it would be slower.
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    Welll if your aim is to stay at a healthy body composition long term i mean when you come to eat at a deficit you will have 12-18 kg less to loose. Since you have a higher lbm. Im just thinking it would be a more sustainable weight loss system for the majority of people.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If you are obese then you already have a good amount of muscle. I would cut down, then bulk.

Carrying a high amount of fat is not healthy. I would try to get that down ASAP before I thought about bulking
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have gained considerable muscle on a slight deficit.
    I think most peoples problem is when they begin they create too big a deficit which in turns leaves them hungry, losing muscle mass. You will then slow your metabolism down. What you should do is find your TDEE -20%, lift heavy weights and do little but intense cardio (if your aim is to gain muscle).

ETA: Even with a "clean bulk" you will still gain considerable fat with the muscle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you are obese then you already have a good amount of muscle. I would cut down, then bulk.

Carrying a high amount of fat is not healthy. I would try to get that down ASAP before I thought about bulking

^^this.
  • fraser112
    Options

yeah i know thats the standard way but to keep extra fat you have to eat extra so by just lifting weights you could lower your body fat % with only 2-3 hours a week of work. Cutting is seen as something hard because it goes against are nature if you know what i mean.
  • ToughTulip
    Options

yeah i know thats the standard way but to keep extra fat you have to eat extra so by just lifting weights you could lower your body fat % with only 2-3 hours a week of work. Cutting is seen as something hard because it goes against are nature if you know what i mean.

Even if you reduce your body fat % b gaining muscle, as an obese person you still would be carrying around a dangerous amount of fat.

Why do you think it goes against nature?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

^^this.
    ^^Seconded. You already have muscle- it takes quite a lot of muscle to move around and participate in everyday life when you're obese. Eat adequate protein and strength train to maintain as much of that muscle as possible as you cut, and you'll end up with a higher muscle mass at your goal weight than the average person who was never obese.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I started at 344 lbs 10 months ago, I weight trained and exercised and currently weigh 233 lbs. I wear clothing now that I last wore when I was 170 lbs many years ago... admittedly, they don't fit the same way they did then but it is the same size none-the-less. The last time I was 199, I was 2 sizes larger than I am in my pants. That being said, it is evidnet that I had some muscle gain on a deficit; of course as the OP said, I was grade III obese so I suppose that is partially how I did it. I think really some type of compromize is best in this situation; I agree that it is simply not healthy to maintain large amounts of body fat and that needs to come off as quickly as possible (within reason)... One thing I have always done during this venture is tried to have a surplus in the area of protein daily... that helped maintain my muscle mass IMHO.
  • Michaelsdin
    Options

^^this.
    ^^Seconded. You already have muscle- it takes quite a lot of muscle to move around and participate in everyday life when you're obese. Eat adequate protein and strength train to maintain as much of that muscle as possible as you cut, and you'll end up with a higher muscle mass at your goal weight than the average person who was never obese.

I love the fitnesspal timeline thing u got going made me laugh. no wonder when i get on 1 people next to me glance and speed up lol
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I think most peoples problem is when they begin they create too big a deficit which in turns leaves them hungry, losing muscle mass. You will then slow your metabolism down. What you should do is find your TDEE -20%, lift heavy weights and do little but intense cardio (if your aim is to gain muscle).

ETA: Even with a "clean bulk" you will still gain considerable fat with the muscle.

You gained considerable muscle on a slight deficit? How much did you gain?
  • fraser112
    Options

Even if you reduce your body fat % b gaining muscle, as an obese person you still would be carrying around a dangerous amount of fat.

Not nature our nature. Since more and more people are saying weight is genetic. Lots of people try to claim weight loss long term is not possible ect ect. Lifting weight would be an easy wayto improve your body comp without the struggle of dieting. I know its not the most efficent way but im thinking for the majority of people who will claim this and that does not work pure weight lifting might be a better route.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    This confuses me quite a bit.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I want to ask a question but I fear it well get me in trouble :ohwell:
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Here's my logic. Kinda goes along with the op, just slightly. If you eat to lose, lift to gain, and do cardio for your health, weight loss is alot easier than most people make it.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

Not nature our nature. Since more and more people are saying weight is genetic. Lots of people try to claim weight loss long term is not possible ect ect. Lifting weight would be an easy weight to improve your body comp without the struggle of dieting. I know its not the most efficent way but im thinking for the majority of people who will claim this and that does not work pure weight lifting might be a better route.

I see. What I learnt from this thread: who gives a **** about peoples health if you can still eat as much as you want?
  • ToughTulip
    Options

Not nature our nature. Since more and more people are saying weight is genetic. Lots of people try to claim weight loss long term is not possible ect ect. Lifting weight would be an easy wayto improve your body comp without the struggle of dieting. I know its not the most efficent way but im thinking for the majority of people who will claim this and that does not work pure weight lifting might be a better route.

Weight is not genetic. That is only a very small factor, and I often see that as a big excuse

I do agree that improving body comp by lifting weights is a great idea. I have been lifting a few years myself! But I still think that dieting down while lifting weights is still the best option. A 500 calorie deficit each day, especially when obese and can consume a high number of calories, is not all that hard. Many people over complicate it, are over restrictive, and fail. Just a simple 500 cal deficit and weight loss is not too bad IMO

Like I mentioned before, getting rid of that extra fat ASAP is still top priority. With all the weight related diseases and risks possible it is just too important not to do.

Very interesting thought by the way!
  • fraser112
    Options
    This confuses me quite a bit.

Im trying to think long term lol since weight really means nothing if you carry a higher muscle to fat ratio you will be in a better position long term.

Not to upset people but loosing fat is easy, its keeping it off that i hard. So say you gain the muscle over a few years say 2. You will be in a much better position long term to keep the weight off long term. So they say the majority of people regain the weight within 5 years. If you gain say 12-18kg of muscle on a small surplus or maint calories if your very over weight you will improve your body fat % and be in a healthier position than if you cut the fat and regained or never tried at all .

So what my proposing is this method of muscle gain first and worry about the fat loss later would be a better option for the majority of people
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Woah....back up here. Lifting weight is GREAT for this process. By lifting (combined with adequate protein) you can get stronger and *maintain* most of your muscle mass while you're cutting. We're saying you don't need to bulk- the difference being eating above maintenance. You will get awesome recomp AND weight loss results by lifting weight and cutting at a reasonable deficit.

Edit for typo.
  • fraser112
    Options
    [/quote]

Weight is not genetic. That is only a very small factor, and I often see that as a big excuse

I do agree that improving body comp by lifting weights is a great idea. I have been lifting a few years myself! But I still think that dieting down while lifting weights is still the best option. A 500 calorie deficit each day, especially when obese and can consume a high number of calories, is not all that hard. Many people over complicate it, are over restrictive, and fail. Just a simple 500 cal deficit and weight loss is not too bad IMO

Like I mentioned before, getting rid of that extra fat ASAP is still top priority. With all the weight related diseases and risks possible it is just too important not to do.

Very interesting thought by the way!
    [/quote]

thank you lol im glad you did not miss my point. Im not saying its ok for people to eat all they want, Im saying most people like it or not will eat what they want as shown by the rise in obesity. this method would help those weaker willed people atleast improve.