You call this 'Storm Prep'?

Options
cgarand
cgarand Posts: 541 Member
So, I worked 12 hour shifts all weekend and couldn't get to the store to prep for the storm. So, I gave my bf a list of a few things to get and asked him to get other supplies in case we lose power for a few days. So, I come home last night and he shows me what he got....two bags of tortilla chips and salsa, ice cream, four cans of soup, cake....you get the picture. So, I'm going back to the store this am to get some real supplies.

If you are on the east coast, what did you guys get to prep for the storm?

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I filled 4 empty gallon jugs from the tap just in case the water gets rusty or something, and when we did our normal grocery shopping, I went light on refrigerated/frozen items and heavier on the nonperishables. If we lose power I can still cook because it's a gas stove.
    The only thing I am screwed on if we lose power is heat. I have no heat source that does not involve electricity.
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good luck from Australia, we're watching with held breath and hope you all over there will be ok.......
  • zigeuner62
    Options
    Water, non perishable foods like tuna, protein bars, etc that don't need refrigeration. Batteries, flashlights/lanterns, candles etc. First aid supplies. Medications if needed. Paper plates, cups, silverware etc unless you store enough water for washing dishes.
    We also bought cans of sterno fuel for heating up water for coffee, tea, etc or soup and beans.
    Good luck in the store. Our shelves here are pretty bare since most shopped yesterday.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Water. Pet food if you have pets (enough for a week at least) Non-perishable food items (bars, canned goods, etc.) You should have at least 3 gallons of drinking water per person plus enough for your pets. Non-electric can opener. Charcoal or propane tank if you have a grill so you can cook up any perishable items.

I'd also recommend filling your bathtub with water so you can flush the toilets if you lose water. Baby wipes to clean yourself if you lose water pressure and can't find a shower nearby.

Freeze water in jugs and keep them in your fridge and freezer to keep your perishable food items colder longer. DO NOT open your refrigerator once the power goes out unless absolutely necessary.

Flashlights. Batteries. Hand-crank phone charger if you can find one. Fill up your gas tank as well in case the gas stations near you shut down. Make sure your car is parked away from any large trees if you can.

I'd also recommend getting some board games, books, etc. to keep you from going stir-crazy if you lose power for a few days. Get all your laundry and dishes clean in advance and use disposable plates, cups, and utensils.

It you're in a metropolitan area, you likely won't lose water pressure, but if you do, it SUCKS. Just be prepared in case.

You can also use towels to put under your window sills to prevent water from coming in.

I live in Miami, so we go through this whole procedure about once or twice per year. Most of the time, it's unnecessary, but it's good to be prepared anyway. These storms can get very bad very quickly.
  • cgarand
    Options
    Oh, what good suggestions! Some I already have but I didn't think of others. :)
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you all over there...Aussie.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It is barely a hurricane. It will be a few rain days. I don't get what a months worth of bread is going to do. Water is the only NEED I can think of.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    We are the brains the men are the bronze. Nuff said:grumble:
  • cgarand
    Options
    It is barely a hurricane. It will be a few rain days. I don't get what a months worth of bread is going to do. Water is the only NEED I can think of.

It's supposed to be really windy, and they are saying that lots of people are going to lose power. I live in the middle of the woods, so restoring power isn't going to be a priority here. I'd rather be prepared for a few days without power than not. :smile:
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    The only thing I am screwed on if we lose power is heat. I have no heat source that does not involve electricity.

Turn on the stove and put a terracotta plant pot up side down on the fire.

Won't heat an entire house, but will at least keep the kitchen somewhat warm.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Firewood! One thing I have learned living in the South.....it doesn't have to be severe to be stupid! Everything is above ground...so my dear nay sayers...all you have to have is one downed line and your wifi is out baby! OUT..not just for a minute but for a week....forget power and all that good stuff....welcome to the age of technotology!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    When I lived in SC and we got these things almost yearly ..
    Canned meat - tuna, salmon, and any other meats we would not need refrigerated/frozen
    Also, we have bottled water.. LOTS Of it. Don't waste it either.
    Fortunately for you.. there won't be an issue of things melting.. you can keep them cool outside so you can have milk and other perishables.
    NUTS and berries.. fruits that are dried.
    rice
    all that healthy stuff you already have!

Get bbq fuel to cook with in case you lose power.
    Also make sure you have alternate heat sources.
    CASH in case you need to buy things and the CC machines are down.
    Next, batteries for a portable radio.
    Gas in your car to get the heck out of dodge after the storm if you want a nice WARM soft bed to sleep in.
    Pet food and some sedatives for pets if you have them.

Good luck!
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I'm going to school for Atmospheric Sciences and the statement above always irks me, no offense to you, I have heard it so much and 9 times out of 10 it always comes back to bite one in the butt. It doesn't matter that it's 'barely' a hurricane. It's a category 1, which means strong winds over 75mph which is enough to knock out power lines and cause chaos, not to mention it is a slow mover, and with any tropical front, that brings a TON of rain. People are not saying this is Katrina, full of destruction and death, but the problem lies in the strong winds, heavy rain and the duration of rain, in one of the most populated areas of the United States, over people who usually do not have to deal with strong tropical fronts, especially this late in the year. Experts are just wanting people to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. It's better to have tons of water, plenty of non perishables and all the other necessities instead of ignoring the warnings and trying to just stick it out.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Put a couple blankets in your freezer it will help keep it insulated. And don't open it unless you have to.
    Fill your bath tub with water and any other container, pots, pails you can think of. Or cases of water.
    Stock up on flashlights and batteries. Lanterns.
    Get gas for your generator.
    Get propane for your BBQ.
    Buy non perishable foods.
    Get a first aid kit.
    Lots of blankets.
    Paper plates,cups, utensils.
    A can opener. Not electric.
    Food for your pets.
    Wood for your wood stove.
    Cards and board games.

Good luck and we will be watching. Hope everything works out for the best.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Filled all the water bottles that I have and put them in fridge.

Filled ziplock bags with water and put them in the freezer.

Packed a bag in case we need to evacuate (we did with Irene).

Car is full of gas.

Extra bag of food for the cat ready to go in case we need to evacuate.

Bathtubs are filled with water.
    I usually have a case of water & non-perishable food on hand.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I'm in MA and I did the same thing I have done for the last 100 hurricanes. Nothing. Hurricanes up here are a lot of hype, and a little wind and rain. The worst that has ever happened was losing power for several hours. That's just not a major problem. If it was a winter blizzard it might be a little different.

For those who live down south, I hope everything is ok, but around here, it's just sensationalism.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Water - in bottles for drinking, in the tub for flushing
    Pet food
    Long shelf-life fruits & veggies (apples last a while, for example)
    Whole grain food bars
    Shelf stable almond milk in small containers (it doesn't last a long time once opened)
    Gas for the grill
    Bread and peanut butter (you can never go wrong with peanut butter)

Batteries
    Gassed up the car
    Charged everything and will keep it charged (can use my Mac's battery to charge iPhone in emergency)
    We already had plenty of jar candles
    Already had plenty of blankets & a first aid kit
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    So glad to irk you all.. haha
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Thing I never understood is, that if people live in an area where there are a lot of hurricanes, why don't they just have non-perishables and water stashed in their basement permanently? Or at least a couple of weeks before hurricane season?
    You always see on the news how everyone rushes to the supermarkets the day before and suddenly there are huge lines and shortages in the shops.
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When we lose power, we also lose our well. So not only no water, also no flushes, and well, you get the picture! So we fill barrels of water to bring in buckets as needed for flushing, freezer packs for helping to keep the fridge cold, and flashlights around the house. Also, every electronic device is fully charged to help keep us entertained as long as possible! I tried not to bring in too many unhealthy snacks; the temptation is there to overeat when you're stuck at home!

:smile: