You call this 'Storm Prep'?

Options

Replies

• annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you are on the east coast, what did you guys get to prep for the storm?

Not too much. I live in an apartment that is on a high floor, in an area that has a high elevation.

So, no danger of flooding for me, but if the power goes out, we won't have any running water (water in my building is powered by an electric pump) and of course, no elevators.

After our last big blackout, I purchased one of those radios that run with a crank handle. Just turn the handle and you have power. Available on Amazon and MUCH better than the battery-powered kind. I always have a flashlight, plenty of candles, a non-electric can opener and nonperishable food in the cupboard, so I didn't have to buy those items.

All I've really done to prepare is to fill some bottles and pots with water and to buy extra cat food, some bags of frozen veggies (because they are prewashed) and fresh fruit with thick skins (oranges, grapefruit, bananas) in case we don't have water to wash it before eating.

I did plan to buy fresh prewashed salad stuff and a sack of kitty litter, but those items were sold out when I got to the store yesterday. Oh, well, they aren't essential.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Thing I never understood is, that if people live in an area where there are a lot of hurricanes, why don't they just have non-perishables and water stashed in their basement permanently? Or at least a couple of weeks before hurricane season?
    You always see on the news how everyone rushes to the supermarkets the day before and suddenly there are huge lines and shortages in the shops.

I can't speak for everyone, but we have most of our hurricane supplies in the bottom of our pantry starting at the beginning of hurricane season, but we get at least once or twice a year with a tropical storm here in Miami. It's just good practice to do that. The area getting hit now does not get hit this hard regularly. I imagine most people don't know how to prepare for these storms that well.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm in MA and I did the same thing I have done for the last 100 hurricanes. Nothing. Hurricanes up here are a lot of hype, and a little wind and rain. The worst that has ever happened was losing power for several hours. That's just not a major problem. If it was a winter blizzard it might be a little different.

For those who live down south, I hope everything is ok, but around here, it's just sensationalism.
    I live in Massachusetts and we were out of power for a week last year. It is entirely possible that will happen again. It doesn't have to be a MAJOR DISASTER for you to lose power for an extended period of time.
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    We are the brains the men are the bronze. Nuff said:grumble:
    uhh...you mean brawn?

So much for being "the brains." :laugh:
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    We got a generator last fall because we lose power too often. Made sure I had everything I need for the pets. Beer for hubby and all is good
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So, I worked 12 hour shifts all weekend and couldn't get to the store to prep for the storm. So, I gave my bf a list of a few things to get and asked him to get other supplies in case we lose power for a few days. So, I come home last night and he shows me what he got....two bags of tortilla chips and salsa, ice cream, four cans of soup, cake....you get the picture. So, I'm going back to the store this am to get some real supplies.

If you are on the east coast, what did you guys get to prep for the storm?

I'm not in the path of this storm, but I live in Florida.

You need flashlights with batteries, a radio that can run on batteries, LOTS of bottled water. Fill the bathtub with water. Plenty of non-perishable food that doesn't need to be heated (peanut butter and bread to last a week or so is a good choice).

Ice cream? Yeah, that'll be soup if you lose power! lol

Stay safe and good luck. I hope you can get what you need and it isn't all gone.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    It is barely a hurricane. It will be a few rain days. I don't get what a months worth of bread is going to do. Water is the only NEED I can think of.

Um it's a cat. 1 hurricane....we have already lost power in parts of NJ and last years hurricane which wasn't as bad destroyed roads and the highway literally fell off the face of the earth......
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thing I never understood is, that if people live in an area where there are a lot of hurricanes, why don't they just have non-perishables and water stashed in their basement permanently? Or at least a couple of weeks before hurricane season?
    You always see on the news how everyone rushes to the supermarkets the day before and suddenly there are huge lines and shortages in the shops.

I can't speak for everyone, but we have most of our hurricane supplies in the bottom of our pantry starting at the beginning of hurricane season, but we get at least once or twice a year with a tropical storm here in Miami. It's just good practice to do that. The area getting hit now does not get hit this hard regularly. I imagine most people don't know how to prepare for these storms that well.

People who live in hurricane-prone areas most likely do not have a basement ...
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    We are the brains the men are the bronze. Nuff said:grumble:
    uhh...you mean brawn?

Ah, spoil sport... this had me rolling! Like the guy who's new tattoo read: To Thy Known Self Be True. :noway:
  • VelociMama
    Options

I don't know anyone with a basement here, so that's probably true.
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have filled the tub with water...to flush the toilet. I so hate when you can't flush the toilet. I have a couple bags of ice in the freezer and the cooler is sitting on top of the freezer. I made sure we have a full tank on the gas grill. I have birds and can't burn candles...as it can hurt them. I made sure we have flashlights handy and extra batteries. I have charged my Kindle.

Food-wise, I have found I can cook on the gas grill just about anything. So I am good on that front.

Now just waiting it out. Hopefully we will in the clear (Roanoke VA) but we can only wait it out now.
  • SUSANSIZZY
    SUSANSIZZY Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I purchased batteries of all sizes, water, canned chicken breast, Arnold whole wheat sandwich thins, 4 different lean meats, canned "natural" vegetables, fresh vegetables and fruit, low fat cheese sticks, and downloaded some books for my Nook. We will have a problem with heat if the power goes out, but otherwise I think we're good. If my phone, nook, or laptop need charged, we could always use the car charger. Today, baking a chicken and making a pot of beef stew. :smile:
  • rml_16
    Options

I've seen a few houses with "basements" that are really just first floors. The water table is about three feet below the surface through most of Florida and the coastal areas, though. (Well, not really three feet, but it's not far down).

Anyway, the people doing nothing to prepare for this storm are not the smart people. Maybe it will end up being nothing, but why would you take that chance? It's not like there has never been a storm in the Northeast that knocked out power for weeks at a time or cut off travel. It DOES happen. I lived in New York state for 28 years and it happened more than once in that time.

And just because YOU tend to get power back in hours doesn't mean everyone does. The first year we lived in Tallahassee, a tropical storm knocked out power to our house for about three hours while other parts of town didn't have power for a week and several areas flooded.

Better to prepare for the worst and not need it than not prepare and have the worst happen.

This isn't JUST a hurricane, either. It's going to clash with a cold front and bring snow and ice on top of high winds and storm surges and the sucker is huge. If I were in its path, I'd be afraid. I hope everyone is safe.
  • VelociMama
    Options

I've seen a few houses with "basements" that are really just first floors. The water table is about three feet below the surface through most of Florida and the coastal areas, though. (Well, not really three feet, but it's not far down).

Anyway, the people doing nothing to prepare for this storm are not the smart people. Maybe it will end up being nothing, but why would you take that chance? It's not like there has never been a storm in the Northeast that knocked out power for weeks at a time or cut off travel. It DOES happen. I lived in New York state for 28 years and it happened more than once in that time.

And just because YOU tend to get power back in hours doesn't mean everyone does. The first year we lived in Tallahassee, a tropical storm knocked out power to our house for about three hours while other parts of town didn't have power for a week and several areas flooded.

Better to prepare for the worst and not need it than not prepare and have the worst happen.

This isn't JUST a hurricane, either. It's going to clash with a cold front and bring snow and ice on top of high winds and storm surges and the sucker is huge. If I were in its path, I'd be afraid. I hope everyone is safe.

Ditto. I hope everyone heeds all the warnings and stays prepared and safe.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Freeze water in jugs and keep them in your fridge and freezer to keep your perishable food items colder longer. DO NOT open your refrigerator once the power goes out unless absolutely necessary

That's a fantastic idea; I would have never thought about doing that (the freezing water jugs)!

Good luck to those in the path of Sandy!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I put away the patio furniture........
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I'm in MA and I did the same thing I have done for the last 100 hurricanes. Nothing. Hurricanes up here are a lot of hype, and a little wind and rain. The worst that has ever happened was losing power for several hours. That's just not a major problem. If it was a winter blizzard it might be a little different.

For those who live down south, I hope everything is ok, but around here, it's just sensationalism.
    I live in Massachusetts and we were out of power for a week last year. It is entirely possible that will happen again. It doesn't have to be a MAJOR DISASTER for you to lose power for an extended period of time.

If I lived in New Jersey/ Philly area where the storm is centered I would act differently. But really, what can most people do if the power goes out? Around here, the water still works. I can live without any electronic gadgets for a week, month, or permanently if I had to. I have a house full of books, a deck of cards and friends if I need entertaining. I have enough non-perishable food and beverages to last for more than enough time if the power goes out, but it's the same stuff that is always in the cupboard anyway. Heck, I have enough protein powder to live on for two months if necessary. I always have extra batteres, just because I buy them in bulk when on sale, just for ordinary use. And if I can't flush the toilet, I've gone outside plenty of times in my life, a few more won't hurt. I don't live on the beach, next to a river, or own a boat. If the zombies come, I know someone with lots of ammo.

Roads were completely shut down for five days during the Blizzard of 78. No one starved. But I will bet some idiot will die of CO poisoning from their shiny new generator or grill they brought in the house for this storm.

My apologies to folks in Florida, the gulf, Carolinas, and places that suffer severe hurricanes and tornados with regularity. Being prepared for them should be a way of life. Come on up here if you like, I have extra snow shovels you can borrow.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options

Alright, cupboard then.
  • rml_16
    Options
    My apologies to folks in Florida, the gulf, Carolinas, and places that suffer severe hurricanes and tornados with regularity. Being prepared for them should be a way of life. Come on up here if you like, I have extra snow shovels you can borrow.
    Um ... I grew up in New York state. You should be prepared wherever you live. Snow and ice storms happen, you know. And I remember more than once being under a state of emergency and without power for a week at a time and not being able to get anywhere.

Don't be an idiot.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Fortunately for you.. there won't be an issue of things melting.. you can keep them cool outside so you can have milk and other perishables.

I'm in upstate NY (capital region) and it's not near cold enough to store things outside - let alone all the critters around my house!
    The only thing left to buy is kerosene for my heater. I have well water, but the water pump does have a generator so if the power goes out we still have water. HOT water is another matter!

It's gonna be an adventure - again!