Should I forget cardio?

Options
Ok so everywhere people are telling me that I should forget about cardio and concentrate on the weights and strength training. Although this is news to my ears as I hate the treadmill I can't help but feel like I need to do some cardio to lose weight.

At the moment I am doing 3x Kettlebell classes, 2x Pilates 1x Yoga, Swimming and lifting 2x a week.

To speed up my results should I incorporate cardio 3/4x a week for say 30mins?

Advice please? :)

Replies

• Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    swimming is cardio, KB can be cardio as well.
    TO me it looks like you are doing enough, unless your resting heart rate is too high or your blood pressure is too high, why are you looking at adding cardio?
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    When I say cardio I mean full on treadmill/elliptical/bike etc.

I just feel that it may speed things up for me and I watch these people pumping away on the above machines and feel like I don't do enough.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    CARDIO IS GOOD!
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    When I say cardio I mean full on treadmill/elliptical/bike etc.

I just feel that it may speed things up for me and I watch these people pumping away on the above machines and feel like I don't do enough.
    if you want to do cardio, try to find something that you enjoy, it looks like you love group classes and stuff, so maybe spinning if you are into high intensity with music, or a running group, even martial arts!
    Treadmill or elliptical are a good option but it can get extremely boring.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Swimming & kettlebell classes can be cardio. Cardio is anything that elevates your heart rate, basically.

Strength training is great for shaping your body so you can get the "look" or results that you want. Some people don't do cardio at all, since it's not necessary for weight loss or body recomposition. However, I like to do it for the health benefits. Too many people in my extended family have heart problems and other health issues and doing cardio a few times a week makes me feel better about lessening my chances of being another statistic.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Cardio is an optional tool for creating a calorie deficit. Do it and eat more, or don't do it and eat less. Your choice.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There's no doubt that cardio burns more calories in a given amount of time but your choice of exercise should be determined by your goals.

Personally I think life is too short to be doing something you hate (perhaps an alternative form of cardio such as biking / spinning or rowing?) If your goals don't include running or triathlon etc you're fine keeping the cardio lower and focusing on strength (along with a reasonable caloric deficit until you hit your goal weight)
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    Thanks people, I might add in 15mins on the bike a few times a week but if what im doing is good enough i'll stick to it.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    That 15 minutes can be a warmup or cool down for weights and always a good idea. I try to make my weight sessions also my cardio sessions. After you do your heavy hard weights you can drop the weight in half and do speed sessions as one idea.

Yesterday I did deadlift sets. My heart was pounding and I almost puked. THAT is some serious cardio. I hit 160 on the hrm after my second set of 5 at 365. After that I did 10 minutes of walking to cool down.
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Keep the cardio...its beneficial as well as the strength training..they work in unison
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Thanks people, I might add in 15mins on the bike a few times a week but if what im doing is good enough i'll stick to it.

You can get a great "quickie" cardio session in 15-30min by doing HIIT.

http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Sounds great.

Adding 15 mins once and awhile won't kill, either.

But you already have cardio in there..
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I find (and my trainer agrees) that cardio is more for your endurance, to help you push through the other stuff - it helps train your heart/body to Keep going, and to be able to adjust it's "speed" (read Heart rate, blood pressure) quickly and efficiently, when you go from active to resting, etc.

I'm a big fan of cardio, because I have A LOT of fat to burn, and it's easier to maintain a long term fat burn on a low level elliptical set, vs the up and down of weight sets/ high intensity workouts. But honestly, (and again, my trainer agrees) it's what your body seems to respond to most - if what you're doing is losing you the weight, and you feel good with what you're doing, stick to it! it's better to do what you enjoy in the gym, and keep going, than to force yourself to do the things you don't enjoy, and then start losing focus.

Have fun, Rock it out!
  • swbernstel
    swbernstel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've started doing cardio right before my strength workouts. It helps loosen everything up and get the blood pumping. Also, Netflix is one of the greatest boredom breakers in the world. But, the key is you still have to keep the intensity up on your workout. It's easy lose intensity when watching TV. I keep my phone right next to the strides/min on the elliptical and make sure it is always above 100.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but i think cardio is really important. i did crossfit for 1 year which is a lot of heavy lifting and contary to popular belief, i did not have a lot of muscle tone and my body fat percentage was around 26%. for the past 8 months i have been doing lots of cardio and some weight training (80% cardio, 20% machine weights) and i have lost 12 pounds and 2 pant sizes. Most of this loss i attribute to the cardio as i just recently added the machine weights to my work out. I now have 22% body fat and i'm almost to my goal weight.
  • RosaC773
    RosaC773 Posts: 126
    Options
    It really depends on your fitness goal.

This is a great article, may help you really focus what is your true goal.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru23.htm
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Cardio is vital for your health and the best way to burn fat.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I use cardio as a warm-up for my training. Hit the eliptical for 20 minutes before your class or training session to get your heart rate up.
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    Cardio is good. Not just to help lose weight but for your health in general.